Savegame error message

Started by Holothurin, February 24, 2018, 10:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holothurin

I'd love to see (after another recent experience) a feature like an 'Error saving game popup'. I dunno if it's doable but maybe some kind of background check if the savegame you just created is actually loadable or corrupted pointing to the root of the problem as well.

As i've just lost another colony because of every savegame being corrupted it might be nice to know as soon as you save the game instead of the next morning realizing hours and hours of gameplay were for nothing.

Harry_Dicks

I saw your other post, I am curious, can you post a HugsLib report? Or post your modlist? What do you think is causing you these errors, and were you not having issues in the past but now you are? If so, what changed between the game being able to save properly and now that it can't? Is it all saves are corrupted, only new saves, only some of new saves, only new saves after X amount of time, or what?

Give more information so maybe people can help you diagnose your problem better, because you are making it seem like this happens all the time, with no error on your part, when I have seen zero other people have issues with this recently. You are wording your threads like the game itself is at fault, and causing you anguish, when I doubt that is the case. My bet is there is something corrupted in your files and/or you have bad mod in your list, or some other error on your end.

Finally, if you keep running into issues like this, do you have dev mode turned on? And if so, you need to be monitoring the error log to give you a clue as to where your problem is stemming from. Otherwise look at how you are coming across: You come to the forums and are very upset about all of your saves having issues and being corrupted and are pointing your finger in all of the other directions except back at yourself. You give other users here zero clues as to what we could do to try and help you.

Don't take this the wrong way but what's the point of your posts, just to bitch, or do you want help with your problem? Because I feel like this is more of a complaint about your corrupted saves than a suggestion of letting you know your save will be corrupted. Or are you saying that only some of your saves are corrupted, and others aren't? As in it is happening intermittently? And if this suggestion were to be implemented, you could then keep trying to save over and over again, until you finally get a "non-corrupt save"? If that is a suggestion because of your issue, then this will not solve your problem, only put a band aid on a symptom of it. Hence, I fail to see this as a suggestion at all and more of just you complaining.

Holothurin

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 24, 2018, 12:30:17 PM

Don't take this the wrong way but what's the point of your posts, just to bitch, or do you want help with your problem? Because I feel like this is more of a complaint about your corrupted saves than a suggestion of letting you know your save will be corrupted. Or are you saying that only some of your saves are corrupted, and others aren't? As in it is happening intermittently? And if this suggestion were to be implemented, you could then keep trying to save over and over again, until you finally get a "non-corrupt save"? If that is a suggestion because of your issue, then this will not solve your problem, only put a band aid on a symptom of it. Hence, I fail to see this as a suggestion at all and more of just you complaining.

The point is easy. If I get an error message about my save being corrupted due to a certain "thing" on the map, then i'm able to simply remove it using the dev tools and save successfully. If, like in my case, it's about an unfinished object causing a corrupted calculation of colony wealth this approach won't work anymore after quitting the game, since wealth is being assemblied and can't be edited in the savefile. That also means a simple search&cut of 'unfinished things' from the savefile doesn't work either. IF it really is a problem with "Thing_Unfinished" and not something else entirely just caused by... stuff. And this also means you can't narrow the problem down to a certain mod. Altogether the colony is done for, i'm well aware of that and i'm not asking for any help. Though I highly appreciate your constructive efforts about 'It's your own fault'.

If one of my colonies grows for such a period of time, I keep five Auto- and five rotating Hardsaves. And every single one of them has been corrupted on a single day without any mods updating, changes in the modlist or anything. Due to a massive mod-list i keep checking the dev-log at game start and almost every 30 Minutes and noticed not a single error popping up. Except for the usual 'Missing Def-Translations'. This means there was no alert about anything going wrong.

Since this is not a common issue it has to be an error on my modded end. But of course, an error of some mod which is impossible to find out. This means the only solution right now is playing the vanilla game without mods or keep playing with mods and risk your saves. Like the Issue with Psychology in A16 a while ago.

Because of that I'm asking for a notification message informing me about an error while i'm still able to remove it, instead of surprising me the next day with an "Oh btw, you are f*****" right in the face.

Finally, don't take this the wrong way, but what's the whole point of your post? You come across like the only one able to understand how the game works and everyone else is just to dumb to see the obvious. Because I feel like you are more busy trying to show-off of your skillz (which are actually just the most obvious things everyone should do) than something really constructive. Hence I fail to see your post as any kind of discussion effort and more like some kind of self-ego-stroking.

Calahan

Quote from: Holothurin on February 24, 2018, 01:57:27 PM
This means the only solution right now is playing the vanilla game without mods or keep playing with mods and risk your saves.
Or maybe two other options:

1 - Not overwriting your manual saves (and instead moving them to a separate folder every so often. Maybe keep a 2-3 day rotating save folder and keep all your manual saves from that particular day). Okay you could still lose several hours of progress, but you wouldn't lose everything (as you could just revert to the most recent manual save that worked, which worst case scenario would be the one you loaded at the start of the playing session).

2 - When you save the game you can launch a second instance* of the game and check if the save game loads. If it does then you know you can quit the first instance (safe in the knowledge that you can continue the game the next morning). If it fails to load then you can take the necessary steps in the first instance, re-save, and then attempt to load it again in the second instance.

Neither of these are the same as what you're asking for, but tbh I can't see what you're asking for being implemented.

* Note I know this is possible with the DRM-free version, but I don't know if it's possible with the Steam version.

Holothurin

Quote from: Calahan on February 24, 2018, 02:11:38 PM

2 - When you save the game you can launch a second instance* of the game and check if the save game loads. If it does then you know you can quit the first instance (safe in the knowledge that you can continue the game the next morning). If it fails to load then you can take the necessary steps in the first instance, re-save, and then attempt to load it again in the second instance.

* Note I know this is possible with the DRM-free version, but I don't know if it's possible with the Steam version.

Me neither. I haven't tried it so far, but I somehow doubt it. If that works though, i'd favor that approach as well. But there is still the issue with identifying the problem itself, if the file fails to load in the second instance. The DevLog is not telling me what went wrong during the saving process.

Harry_Dicks

And this also means you can't narrow the problem down to a certain mod. Altogether the colony is done for, i'm well aware of that and i'm not asking for any help. Though I highly appreciate your constructive efforts about 'It's your own fault'.
That's bullshit that you can't narrow it down. I've had rogue mods that redefined core defs that I've had to track down out of over 200 mods. I've spent many and many hours tracking down crap like this. To say it's impossible to find is a load of crap. Know how I had to do it? By using my head. Start changing my mod order, see when it works versus when it doesn't. Start dividing your mod list by half at a time, and if you had actually had proper backups, then you could load your most recent working one and keep trying from there to reproduce the problem. Yeah the shit sucks but sometimes it's what you have to do.

This means the only solution right now is playing the vanilla game without mods or keep playing with mods and risk your saves.
Yeah you're so right man. I'm glad you have figured everything out for the entire community of RimWorld that plays with mods. If all of the mods you are playing with meant this much to you, then you would be working towards finding a solution with the tools you have available to you. That or you need to at least rethink what you're asking for and why, because this is not the solution to your problem.

Finally, don't take this the wrong way, but what's the whole point of your post? You come across like the only one able to understand how the game works and everyone else is just to dumb to see the obvious. Because I feel like you are more busy trying to show-off of your skillz (which are actually just the most obvious things everyone should do) than something really constructive. Hence I fail to see your post as any kind of discussion effort and more like some kind of self-ego-stroking.
What in the actual fuck are you talking about, trying to show of "skillz"? You need to take a step back, and look at what a fool you are making of yourself. YOU come to the SUGGESTION board and make a post about wanting to know when your save cannot complete and/or is corrupted. But then you go on to say that all of your saves are corrupted and you keep losing colonies, as this is not the first time it has happened to you. So is this really the best solution for you? You want to submit this as a solution only to try to mitigate an end result of a root problem. This is dumb.

This is in the absolute simplest terms I can make this for you: with your current issue at hand, being notified of the save not being able to be complete and/or corrupted will not solve your issue. It will not fix what is causing this issue. You are seeking a band-aid fix to a SYMPTOM.

Again, this isn't even really a suggestion, it's just you bitching. And now you want to get so personal, because your moronic posts get called out for how moronic they are. You want people to do other work for an issue that can be fixed on your end, yet you give everyone else practically zero information in your OP. WTF do you even expect?

Did you ever stop to think how even though a mod you are using could be at fault, that it is ENTIRELY your fault for adding too many mods at once without doing enough safety checks? You need to learn how to start taking responsibility for your own actions.

So what if I call you out for lack of info. That means maybe you should post some more. Just because your little feeling got hurt doesn't mean it's a great idea to double-down on your snark. Whatever, whoever wants to help this fool sure will have fun.

EDIT: And I didn't catch this shit the first time, "(which are actually just the most obvious things everyone should do) than something really constructive."

First-If the the things I am telling you are the "most obvious things everyone should do" then why the hell aren't you doing them?

Second-I do way more constructive shit around here than you ever have. I also tell people how grateful I am for them taking time out of their day to create something I enjoy and/or helping me through my issues. I at least give back to the community. What do you do? You come on here and cry like a little child and then snap at me when I was still trying to help you. You give nothing but all you want to do is take take take and ask for people to make more crap for free for you that isn't even the solution to your problem. Eat shit.