[A16/17] Tam's tinymods (Kitchen Counter, Smokepit, Travel rations ...)

Started by Tammabanana, December 21, 2016, 05:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tammabanana

Quote from: AngleWyrm on May 20, 2017, 12:42:55 PM

Dandelion woes
My grazers are getting stuck on the dandelions.

They eat them down to 8%, but then the dandelions don't seem to get any smaller than that. They just stay at 8% while being eaten.

So the creatures get taken out of the game, eating a dandelion all day long because they have almost no food value.

My temporary fix has been to change the nutrition of dandelions to fill a creature all the way up in one nibble.

I'll have a look while I A17 it. Question: are you also running Pests!? I saw that happen a while back, didn't pay attention to what the muffalo was stuck eating all day. It went away when I turned off Pests!, and I was playtesting something else, so I didn't look into it further at the time.

It might be a conflict between those two mods. I deliberately made the dandelion items low-nutrition because they're ubiquitous and you really would need an armload of salad to make a meal, but maybe there's a way to make the nutrition of the plant higher than the nutrition of the gathered items or something.

I'm probably going to rework that overwrite into the new xpath thing, when I figure out how that works - that's likely to take me some time.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

Tammabanana

Current A17 updating status, since I'm here:

Pygmy Muffalos and Travel Rations are theoretically A17'd and available on GitHub, but I haven't tested them yet to be absolutely sure they work, so I haven't created an official release. You would have to download from the Code tab.

Kitchen Counters becomes largely obsolete in A17, with the Equipment Rack becoming an all-purpose 2x1 shelf. It looks like vanilla is still missing a 1x1 shelf. Plan: I'll check to see if anybody's gotten around to a 1x1 that balances against the new 2x1 first. If they have, I'll redirect Kitchen Counter users to that. If nobody has, I'll make it.

I haven't looked at Smoked Meat yet. That's next on the list for checking code against vanilla analogues.

Testing on my end only happens when (a) either kids are asleep/out-of-house or (b) allowed to play video games themselves and (b1) not stealing my computer, so be aware: theoretically sound A17 updates will hit the GitHub code long before I've had a chance to test them, because that's the part of the modding I can get away with without being pestered about why I'm allowed to play video games and they're not. If you choose to risk them and find bugs, please let me know.

I'll be testing and officially releasing A17s of the already-released mods first, so Initial Conditions: Subsistence is last in line. (The other WIPs are still tabled.)
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Tammabanana on May 21, 2017, 08:55:49 AM
Question: are you also running Pests!? I saw that happen a while back, didn't pay attention to what the muffalo was stuck eating all day. It went away when I turned off Pests!, and I was playtesting something else, so I didn't look into it further at the time. It might be a conflict between those two mods.

Yes, I'm using the pests mod; I'll try disabling it and start a test colony to see if the problem disappears.

Update
Disabled pests mod and ran a new colony for five days with a dozen animals zoned into an area full of dandelions. They didn't get stuck eating an invincible dandelion.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Tammabanana

I have tested, yayyy! Pygmy Muffalos, Travel Rations, and Smoked Meat now all have A17 releases at their GitHub Links. Only Smoked Meat has an A17 version on Steam, on account of major changes; the other two will update on Steam at their current locations.

AngleWyrm: thanks for the update! I think I'll re-write the dandelion harvestability using the new xpath thingy first, then test whether the Pests! conflict still exists (if there's an A17 Pests! yet - maybe poke around in its A16 code to see what might have caused the conflict in the first place, if not) and go from there.

TA1980

Dear Tammabanana,

I have noticed that the smokepit processes meat (e.g. Muffalo) 0.03 kg/0.05 nutrition to 0.02/0.05 thus increasing its nutritional value. May I suggest to not alter the nutritional value and just reduce the weight (2:1 or 3:1)?

Regards

Tammabanana

TA1980,

Rimworld <nutrition> doesn't really hold the same definition as RL nutrition. All Core recipes increase Rimworld-nutrition when processing a raw yucky thing into a cooked thing. I kept its ratios consistent with similar Core recipes to maintain balance. I leaned towards Pemmican as the closest analogue. (Each Pemmican only has 0.5 nutrition, but the recipe produces 16 of them, not the 10 you'd expect if you're not changing the total <nutrition> value merely for the sake of preservation.)

Tam

Degraine

Speaking of pemmican, I have a suggestion to make regarding travel rations. Since packaged survival meals are now craftable, this seems like a good opportunity to bring your MREs in line with them - no expiry date, available after doing the relevant research, and so on.

I always thought they should (or at least fine grade MREs should) have a positive thought, even if it's only +3 or so, since it takes more work to make an MRE than, say, pemmican. A decent packaged meal has got to be more appealing when you're on the road than pemmican.

Tammabanana

Hi, everybody. I have a bad case of Life, and will be unable to B18 my mods (or make requested improvements, fixes, etc.) Please feel free to update these for the new release(s).

GitHub links to the mods are on the OP. You can fork, or I can add you as a contributor, or you can just download, edit, upload where you upload, and link in this thread. I can add you as co-author on the Steam version so you can update there, or you can create a separate B18 version of the mod on Steam. Whatever. You do you.

Please post here to let others know where a B18 lives; please link to this thread so folks can get earlier versions and track credits for original artists and stuff. Please also credit artists on the B18, I did none of the art. Check in with them for permission before using their work outside the scope of the existing mod, unless my mod notes that the art was already nabbed from a public domain source.

kaptain_kavern

Hi Tamma, hope everything is fine for you IRL.

Once I finished updating my mods and Itchyflea's one, I will look for doing yours and repost them in this very thread.

Hope you're OK, See you later

dismar

dismar

Behold!

Tam's Mods B18 !!
I have updated all the mods but MRE's! I've updated the coding and tested them in game.
You can download the pack here:
Download B18 versions here!