Descriptions for diseases

Started by Elevator, February 27, 2018, 06:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elevator

It would be great if some in-game descriptions for diseases were added.
This information may appear, for instance, in the "health" tab as part of the tooltip for a hediff.
The description may cover such points as:

• does this disease kill patient or not
  • how long it may last
  • how it should be treated
I believe this information will help new players very much.
Thank you in advance.

Injured Muffalo

I think the learning helper could cover this, because the answers for all conditions are sort of the same.

- All diseases kill you at 100%
- How long it lasts varies a lot, a heart attack will kill in a few hours, sleeping sickness can drag on for weeks. So it doesn't really help your planning; just look at how fast the disease is progressing to decide if you're going to use your best medicine or beds/doctors or not.

You could tell the player how much time a colonist has left, but that might be too gamey, who the hell knows how much time someone has left.

- All diseases are treated the same way, with medicine and rest. Then of course you've got your toys to raise the quality of treatment and immunity rate like a hospital bed.
A muffalo encountered a vimp near a patch of sweet vegetables. A struggle ensued. The muffalo gored the vimp with its horns. The vimp bit the muffalo with its beak. Finally, the vimp was bested, sending large chunks of its flesh in every direction. But the muffalo was injured. It shed a single tear.

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: Elevator on February 27, 2018, 06:40:48 AM
This information may appear, for instance, in the "health" tab as part of the tooltip for a hediff.

• how long it may last
Thank you in advance.

I do like the idea of having a basic description of each disease and how it works, much like with toxic fallout/volcanic winter events. +1 from me.

sick puppy

Quote from: Third_Of_Five on February 27, 2018, 10:41:06 PM
Quote from: Elevator on February 27, 2018, 06:40:48 AM

• how long it may last
Thank you in advance.

I do like the idea of having a basic description of each disease and how it works, much like with toxic fallout/volcanic winter events. +1 from me.
oh you mean something like a message like this:
10 out of your 18 colonists got the flu (happened to me today. thanks chillax-girl, at level not-even-hard)
the flu can and will kill your colonists eventually, even if it starts out easily. get them a bed* and let them rest so that they can heal faster.

or something

*i wrote "get them a get" first. i obviously meant "get them a bed"

cultist

It's important to distinguish between actual diseases and other ailments, like gut worms, food poisoning and mechanites. The latter are non lethal and as such, should only be treated with medicine if you have a decent surplus, or the sick pawn is vital to the colony.

All of the other diseases are very dangerous (with the possible exception of sleeping sickness) and should always be treated with medicine (herbal is usually okay if the doctor is skilled, but don't skimp on real medicine if you're not prepared to risk losing a pawn.)

Elevator

QuoteI think the learning helper could cover this, because the answers for all conditions are sort of the same.

- All diseases kill you at 100%
- How long it lasts varies a lot, a heart attack will kill in a few hours, sleeping sickness can drag on for weeks. So it doesn't really help your planning; just look at how fast the disease is progressing to decide if you're going to use your best medicine or beds/doctors or not.

Well, actually, by "diseases" I meant ones from this list: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Disease. Not all of them are deadly, and the duration of treatment differs heavily. The information is vital for colony survival and for the player.

Regarding UI, my original idea was to place the description inside a hediff tooltip (see the first attachment), but the idea of giving this text as a letter looks even better (see the second attachment).

[attachment deleted due to age]

Elevator

To make the idea clearer I have created a more detailed image of what I am suggesting.
If it is still not clear enough please let me know.

[attachment deleted due to age]

sick puppy

Quote from: Elevator on March 03, 2018, 07:47:30 AM
To make the idea clearer I have created a more detailed image of what I am suggesting.
If it is still not clear enough please let me know.
+1
even if the infection is in her left leg ;)