What Rimworld Planet Type Would You Like To See?

Started by Jackalvin, February 27, 2018, 06:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackalvin

So, basically, on my way to the airport, I was reading the fiction primer. I wondered about a game or even Rimworld allowing you to see different worlds. Here are some things I thought of.

-Mars-like Dead worlds, similar to The Mars Mod, but more sci-fi
-I feel my favorite to see would be urbworlds. You can make a "gang" base in the lower levels (I imagine 40k Hive-Cities and distilling water and growing fungus. You can either avoid illegal activities and just carve out a living, or make flake and raid others.

I would be eager to hear your opinion.
-Insert Witty Joke Here-

SzQ

The Urb World would be actually doable in RW. Everything is in the game. It would justify the neverending stream of enemies also.
It could be world similar to one in BLAME! anime. YT link

Beside that most kinds of barren worlds would be very similar to what we can have already in the game. Rimworld easily allow you to try to play in temperatures even lower than -270(yes, RW limit is below 0K) and extremely high.

Usually contemplating my personal spacetime reality at
stream

jamaicancastle

sick puppy

dunno...i guess...waterworld?
granted, in the current state of rimworld it would be very boring, but maybe once boats are implemented...

something else would be maybe a world that has seen some turmoil or like climate is changing there or something...i'd like to have maps with both wet parts that you have to get rid of in the long run with that one tech but also sand and therefore cacti...also malaria and sleeping sickness; boomalopes and boomrats; but still some short winters every other year. lotsa rain and wind, maybe even lightning. i guess it would be a typical chillax-map, as she likes to send nature itself against you instead of cassandra's favourite: raids; or randy's fave: RNG-sus himself.
oh, also some moutains in a corner...
ok i guess the map could look something like this: mountain in one corner, bog in another, desert in another, sea in the last one. it would contain ALL animal types, mostly boomers though. also, all types of trees. and kind of a lot of trees towards the middle. that would be awesome. and tooooons of geysers...yeh...all that on a medium to even small map so that you get a bit claustrophobic hehehe. one base limit.
by the way, contrary to what i said about chillax, you'd still get tons of raids. so it would essentially be a cassandra map with less positive occasions, but nature lashing out against you instead.

Third_Of_Five

I'd like to see Tidally Locked planets. One side would be an extreme desert in perpetual daylight, the other an icecap in perpetual night, and with a small habitable ring in the twilight area.

Jackalvin

Glass-worlds are a interesting concept. Surviving on a rad-scorched wasteland on nothing but strong and potentially valuable. This may require Z-levels, but a mod has already done this by adding mines.

Transcendental worlds, the archeotech one, world be hard to live on, if impossible. Contending with mechanoids and physic drones, while build atop and next to mounds of computers. When I imagine archeotech and their worlds, I can't help but think of the W.A.U from S.O.M.A instead of clean, sterile, computer world.
-Insert Witty Joke Here-

Call me Arty

Really, I don't see the special kinds of planets happening (for a multitude of reasons: Tynan done with systems after 1.0, modders having lives, the variety each would need to not just be one big biome, etc), but more "extreme" tiles or biomes would be really interesting.
Take the existing ocean tiles, for example. Rimnautica or Rim-Com: Terror from The Deep sound fun. Special suits for heading out, trading with ships freighting above, entirely unique flora and fauna, so on and so forth (I want this the most!).
Glass-worlds are basically one biome, but some tiles around a site that had a nuclear meltdown or some other similar disaster sounds fun.
People already want Mechanoid Hives on the world map, so why not make some areas around them "influenced", as a substitute for Archeotech transcended worlds. Far stronger psychic events, maybe some of the (also in the primer) Transanimals, and unique Mechanoids you wouldn't find elsewhere in the world.
Urbworlds sound pretty impossible, considering the fact that a couple dozen humans lag the hell out of the game (let alone millions), and a planet made-out of skyscrapers also sounds tough in a game with only one flat plane to deal with. Maybe it could be mostly ruins with dead soil, but an abundance of machinery and cryptopods for recuiting more people. Instead of cave-ins, removing a building's foundations could cause a stuctural collapse, which would fall horizontally over the map. People could die, but you could also get a lot of resources from the rooms above (if anything's intact).
All of these sound like a refreshing break from temperate forests, and the usual "I'm bored, let's try to survive on sea-ice for ten minutes before enough new mods come-out to bring me back to the game."

Don't like them? Disable or limit them in the world creation screen, like rainfall and temperature. . . or you could cover your planet in them. I personally like the idea of being able to get tired of where you started, and moving on to what somewhere so refreshingly new and hostile.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Shurp

You could implement a two-dimensional urb-world relatively easily.  Just fill the map with ruins/tombs and overhead-mountain over everything.  But you'd have to give hydroponics tables as a starting tech or everyone would starve quickly.  You'd also have to set up some paths to the map edge so raids could happen.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

VincentJ

An easy thing I'd like to find in a rimworld planet type, is parts of the planet offering an oceanic climate. I mean... between -10°C and 0°C in winter, and 20°C - 35°C in summer.
I spend considerable time searching for tiles with best temperatures at the beginning of the game. And temperatures soon reach 50°C, even if the temperatures displayed in the start map seemed good.
That's very silly, because there's not a lot of places in the world where temperatures overcome 50°C so easily.
Same thing with cold temperatures.

Gulf stream mods would be cool. Or places with palm trees islands. Planets with more than one continent.

That the only things I'm asking for. Developpers seem very busy.

jamaicancastle

Quote from: Shurp on March 02, 2018, 07:44:33 AM
But you'd have to give hydroponics tables as a starting tech or everyone would starve quickly.
Perhaps you'd have extant, working hydroponics on the maps? Presumably in some way that you could use them, but not usefully deconstruct them. (Or at least with low enough deconstructing yields that it wouldn't be worth it.) Urbworlds could also include things like huge (former) battery farms that would be tillable, or buildings overgrown to the point that they have dirt that can support plant growth on their upper surfaces.

The real problem would be sunlight, but even then, it shouldn't be that hard to have gaps between buildings sufficient for growing.

Shurp

Well if we're trying to imitate BLAME! there's no sun to be found... you'll have to rely on windmills or add some sort of nuclear power tech.  And windmills would have to have the ceiling penalty removed to be effective.  So you have to dig out an open chamber to use them... but not *too* open or else *crash*.

Dirt should be a manufacturable floor type from butchered ground up raiders or other organics that you find.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Harry_Dicks

TIDALLY LOCKED PLANETS! We could invent all kinds of awesome new races that come from either the "light" or "dark" side of the planet! I've had this as a weird fantasy universe that I've thought about since I was a kid, all the different kinds of planetary politics that could arise from these scenarios sound very interesting.

Shurp

So the dark-siders would be "vampires" that die from uv radiation poisoning when they visit the bright side?

Harry_Dicks

All kinds of crazy fun shenanigans like that. Also, I would like to see more varied land masses from the world generator. Sure, let me keep my 30% option, but can that 30% of land covering the planet be in more varied shapes or islands that cover the map?