[1.0] DeepRim. Underground exploration/mining! Update: Christmas/New Year

Started by meowmeow, February 28, 2018, 10:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meowmeow

DeepRim

Description:
Allows construction of mining shaft, which can drill down and bring you new maps to explore and mine for resource.  Never run out of ores! Avoid the lazy Deep drill with this new revolutionary mining method!

Start by building a mining shaft and click start. It requires power while drilling. (It's not magic, duh)

Once finished, you get the option to send people and item down

They'll end up in the underground map, full of rocks and ores to mine.

FAQ:
Will there be raids in the underground?
Unlikely. I can't say for sure. Raids can probably still be forced for underground, but it'll probably just spew some red errors. Can't say what will happen, since there's quite a number of storyteller, and some are custom.

Will this mod works with <X>?
Most likely. If there's any incompatibility issue, please tell me.

Will <Custom Ore of some mod> spawn underground?
If it spawns above ground, it will likely spawn underground (Assuming that the mod configured them correctly, instead of writing a code to spawn spawn ore after your pawns landed) . At the moment, it is confirmed that hardcore SK's ores spawn correctly underground.

LAG! LAG! LAG! It's lagging!
That's not a question. But yes, this mod will take more CPU when drilling a new layer, specifically, when the drilling is done, and a new layer is generated. It only last a moment though, after that, you should be fine. There's no solution for this at the moment, unless Rimworld somehow does multi-threading. Having too many layer will also cause lag. Try to avoid that.

How do I move item from one layer to another?
Put a stockpile zone on the lift, move whatever item you wish to move. Use the bring up/move down feature to move the items. (Items, pawns, and animals are all moved by the lift in the same way)

Planned Feature:
Multiple shaft to single map, allowing tunnels to be made
Balancing
Deeper layers will have different map generation method. For example, lava and hotter in deeper layer.

Author/Mod Team
Me. Just me. I think, for now.
Oh, wait. Asset by jabbamonkey is used.

Download
Version V0.4.2(1.0) (Newest!)
Version V0.4.1(1.0)
Version V0.4(B19)

Changelog:
V0.2:
Bug fix. Is now compatible with HardcoreSK.
V0.3:
Underground map's wealth now counts towards ground colony's wealth.
Multiple shaft to single map supported, allows you to get past surface obstacle by digging a tunnel.
Depth system added. For now, depth is just used to identity which layer you dug to.
Weather is forced to clear underground. You can't rain underground.
V0.4:
Updated to Beta 19.
Bug fix.
Attempted to add underground river, but failed.
Attempted to add more bugs for future version to fix, but can't be bothered.
V0.4.2 (For RW 1.0):
Fixed bug which made destruction/deconstruction of shaft impossible. Now you can make bad decisions and accidentally abandon all your miner!
Added a little Satan hat. Just kidding. No Christmas themed things for you.

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

How to Update:
- Abandon underground map, reconstruct all related building.
- Save, close game.
- Delete old mod from folder.
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.
- Load.

Vlad0mi3r

Well there you go Z levels.

Well done, does the map count as a new colony?

Will the new map be venerable to bug infestations?

Will the map remain the same when you return to it?

Is it compatible with existing saves?

Do I have more questions? Probably.

Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

jecrell

...Psst. Still there? If you'd like to support
me and my works, do check out my Patreon.
Someday, I could work for RimWorld full time!

https://www.patreon.com/jecrell

Umbreon117

Neat! I'll look back at this once my current playthrough is done in...(looks at colony and goals)...A very long time.
I'll shoot your colonists...After a long nap.

meowmeow

The map will remain the same when you return to it. You can go to and from as many time as you wish. You can also build as many shaft as you like and thus, have as many level as you wish, each separated from the other.

Once you're done with it, you can just abandon the layer, which discards everything in it.

It should be compatible with existing save. However, once installed, you can't remove it if you have any underground map in your game.

As for bug infestation, I have not a clue. The answer is maybe (for now. We'll know after someone complains).

Also, I'll add multiple entrance support for one layer soon (Maybe in a few days, or twenty thousand years), so people can get their tunnel warfare going.

Crioware

Can raids occur in the mines? Because that'd be dope if we could have some underground combat
Hat or be hatted

PreDiabetic

Canute

Set-up camp into z-level. :-)
At last at the set-up camp's no event's happen.

Jackalvin

Could we have a tribal substitute? Maybe having limited amounts of levels? I want my tunnel workers to be at home!
-Insert Witty Joke Here-

Riffy

Can the map collapse in on people or should you follow the normal rules for digging into a mountain? Last thing I want to deal with people buried alive or worse yet underground rivers, oh wait not dwarf enough for those. 

Also how do you bring things back up? Just what a pawn can carry?

Exende

do wild critters spawn?  Cave monsters are scary!

SzQ

So if i place two of them and more on same level they create new separated maps or they share one map.

I see this could lead to make RW based on exploration and survival instead of building and survival. Something like this

The novel itself is pretty primitive but you get the idea.
The question is what can be done with map created trough object or however it is created in this mod. Is it possible to make it generate similar maps with slight changes with every step? In the terrain as well as environment?
You could create special charged apparel with setting that let you jump to newly generated map that is most likely similar. Further you go the changes are bigger. There's always small chance that next world is going to be some what extraordinary and/or dangerous.
Aaaand so on in my imagination.
People who have read Pratchetts get the idea.

Usually contemplating my personal spacetime reality at
stream

kenmtraveller

This is ambitious and amazing.  How much testing has been done?  Can events occur on these sublevels?  Are pawns in them considered to be in the parent map (for purposes of getting malaria, etc) or elsewhere?  If you've truly gotten this to work, it could be the basis for a lot more.

Crioware

Hey I have a problem currently. I cannot seem to get my colonists to go to the other map. In the screenshot you have them standing over the drill and are able to take them down into the mine. But when I do it it doesn't work, even after the hole has been dug
Hat or be hatted