[1.0] DeepRim. Underground exploration/mining! Update: Christmas/New Year

Started by meowmeow, February 28, 2018, 10:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

Quote from: meowmeow on March 01, 2018, 03:00:28 AM
Quote from: Harry_Dicks on March 01, 2018, 12:54:04 AM
Would it be in the realm of possibility to ever have the pawns that go to this second map, still be considered on the same first map?
What do you mean? You mean, they're still visible on the main map? Like 3d?

No,
i think the primary question are, how did you setup the new underground area ?
It is like Setup camp, a none event zone or more like a second colony with all kind's of event.

Ofcouse pawn's in the underground zone don't count toward your 1. colony, doesn't matter if they leave with caravan,Gateway-portal,dropship/pod or elevator.
Basicly you can exploid this for easier raids. Just let all your pawn's work in the underground until a raid/event  happen.

Maybe it is possible to create invisble item with the same value of the pawn when they use the elevator. So the storyteller don't notice any difference.

Any ideas about beds deassigned when the pawn changes map?
From my expierence with TMagic getaway, which allow instant travel between 2 maps. The bed's get deassigned when the pawn want to rest, until then the bed at the 1. map still be occupied.

QuoteSomething to reduce micromanagement by making pawns to return automatically if they need to eat/sleep/heal?
I don't think Rimworld mechanic support this. It is basicly 2 map's with an instant map change.
Since they arn't physicalicly connected no pathfinding is possbible.
Maybe someone find a way to add a 9. direction to an existing tile, that let them maybe path through portals/elevator into other maps.

meowmeow

Quote from: Canute on March 01, 2018, 03:18:51 AM
n
Quote from: meowmeow on March 01, 2018, 03:00:28 AM
Quote from: Harry_Dicks on March 01, 2018, 12:54:04 AM
Would it be in the realm of possibility to ever have the pawns that go to this second map, still be considered on the same first map?
What do you mean? You mean, they're still visible on the main map? Like 3d?

No,
i think the primary question are, how did you setup the new underground area ?
It is like Setup camp, a none event zone or more like a second colony with all kind's of event.

Ofcouse pawn's in the underground zone don't count toward your 1. colony, doesn't matter if they leave with caravan,Gateway-portal,dropship/pod or elevator.
Basicly you can exploid this for easier raids. Just let all your pawn's work in the underground until a raid/event  happen.

Maybe it is possible to create invisble item with the same value of the pawn when they use the elevator. So the storyteller don't notice any difference.

Any ideas about beds deassigned when the pawn changes map?
From my expierence with TMagic getaway, which allow instant travel between 2 maps. The bed's get deassigned when the pawn want to rest, until then the bed at the 1. map still be occupied.

QuoteSomething to reduce micromanagement by making pawns to return automatically if they need to eat/sleep/heal?
I don't think Rimworld mechanic support this. It is basicly 2 map's with an instant map change.
Since they arn't physicalicly connected no pathfinding is possbible.
Maybe someone find a way to add a 9. direction to an existing tile, that let them maybe path through portals/elevator into other maps.

I'll look into it. It's similar to setup camp in some form. I'll see if I can override the function for counting wealth to ensure raid take both map into consideration

Harry_Dicks

Yeah Canute hit on some of the ideas of what I was talking about. Also, we really, really need a mod that will have the ability to turn on or off at will and per individual place and/or pawn a "lock in" feature, so that any pawns assigned to anything won't lose this if they leave the map.

For example, there was one mod that had the arcades that would allow your pawns to level up certain skills, and you could assign certain pawns to specific arcades, just like you would beds. Same thing with Dubs' Bad Hygiene. Could we get it so all of these things would never get reset when a pawn leaves the map?

Anyway, about pawns being "counted as on the same map". Yes I ask because there are quite a few reasons. Wealth for raids is one of them, for not only pawn value but also valueable goods players could stash in these mines to keep colony wealth down.

That's the other reason why I asked if all events/incidents or whatever for this new space are turned on or off. Because as it is right now, if you have a second map/colony, the storyteller will make separate incidents/events for this colony, independent of this first, correct? Like your small side colony raids won't be as big as the raids on your main colony? But all of this ties in to if there is even any events/incidents that can even occur in the new map, which I'm still not sure if any of these things can happen there. Sure raids couldn't because there are no open border cells, but what about infestations, or random diseases? What about when you do get to an open border cell, could raids then occur in the mine shaft? Or is all of this disabled, because we can have the storyteller's events/incidents turned off on the second map?

Sorry for so many questions, but I just keep thinking of different possible scenarios that could make this so awesome.

Someone mentioned possible pathfinding between the two maps. IF that was EVER even possible... holy crap! This would be unbelievably amazing! Pawns could be mining some rock chunks down below, dropping the chunks on the ground as they tunnel away, and your haulers could automatically come from your main map, down the mine shaft, and start "picking up and hauling" all of the stuff back up the mine shaft to your regular stockpiles in your home map!

Kapun

I think that this Z-level idea has some serious potential. I my imagination i see the following awesome way to use the idea from the mod:
1)Mines work much like an elevator that allows pawns to automatically move between different Z-levels. Maybe it has bills that give access to deeper levels (the deeper the more expensive).
2)Pawns pathfind between all Z-levels on their own (maybe only sentient creatures, not animals). Having several mines will make it more convenient to move between Z-levels.
3)There are buttons for camera to move up and down. When a mine building completes the bill to access a new level the player can just switch to it and it will only contain the mine building. The player can order colonists to mine the area around the mine using the "mine" tool and they will automatically travel to this level and do the job and will come back to eat/sleep just like when they are mining stuff on the main map.
4)All Z-levels work as the same colony in terms of events. Miners can get sick get like normal colonists, infestations can happen on any Z-level, raids come from above ground but you can retreat into the mines and raiders might follow trough the mine building you or they might just take some of your valuables and maybe set something on fire (just for fun) and leave.
5)The cave stuff (mushrooms and all) is already in the game and we can make it spawn underground in massing (or not so massive) caves, underground rivers, underground animals (other than infestations), faction of underground dwellers and all kinds of cool stuff.

FociA

Wanderer_joins

I love it, i've never been a fan of deep drilling.

Maybe we could also scan for specific underground layers, like rich in plasteel, or steel, or... uranium 8)

kenmtraveller

To me, this mod's potential hinges on the ability for the sublevel(s) to all be considered part of the parent map for the purposes of event generation, pawn location, etc.  If this isn't possible, there are a lot of possible exploits by the player -- for example, hiding wealth there , or leaving pawns there until raids occur so that raid size is reduced.
One way to mitigate this problem might be to make infestations really common.  But, for that to work you'll need fine control of the event generator for the submap.

Bozzarr

FINALLY! Some sweeped the floor with all those that said Z levels are impossible.

Kapun

Quote from: kenmtraveller on March 01, 2018, 02:24:29 PM
To me, this mod's potential hinges on the ability for the sublevel(s) to all be considered part of the parent map for the purposes of event generation, pawn location, etc.  If this isn't possible, there are a lot of possible exploits by the player -- for example, hiding wealth there , or leaving pawns there until raids occur so that raid size is reduced.
One way to mitigate this problem might be to make infestations really common.  But, for that to work you'll need fine control of the event generator for the submap.

I am not an expert in modding, but i am pretty sure that it is very easy to make the game use the sum of wealth/pawns on all levels to calculate stuff like raid size. All you need to do is to add 1 number to the other. There are bigger problems though-like pathfinding.

Hydromancerx

I have an idea/suggestion but am unsure exactly how it would work. You see i like the mine idea but also I like tribal games and the mines are a bit advanced. So I was thinking, "What if there was natural caves down to the next layer?" however if you had that then you would have to generate like all the layers forever. So I think i have a better idea. You have like "collapsed shafts" which generate on the map when the map is made. Maybe make them an optional setting for those that do not want it. Then if you send a pawn to "clear it" via mining it will turn into a natural mine shaft. It would work just like your mine but obviously not use any resources and look natural rather than man made. Also since they are randomly generated they player has no control over where they appear. You could still make your own man-made one like you have already but this alternative "natural shaft" could lead to some interesting cave exploration.

Kapun

I think there is no problem with generating caves on mined layers too. There should be a map for each Z level, like level 1 is above ground, lvl 2,3 and so on is accessible through mines. So several mines can lead to the same layer, there will just appear in different places. So people who live in flat biome can still explore caves and fight insects and so on.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: kenmtraveller on March 01, 2018, 02:24:29 PM
To me, this mod's potential hinges on the ability for the sublevel(s) to all be considered part of the parent map for the purposes of event generation, pawn location, etc.
This really does mean a lot to me as well. A lot of other functions of various mods would need to be worked on if we constantly have pawns leaving one map and going to another, sometimes multiple times in a day. For example, I wouldn't want to have to keep resetting which bed they sleep in, or anything else they are assigned to, but I'm sure there are a other negatives (and positives?) that we could think of that could pop up f the maps are considered separate or not.

Personally, it would be perfect for me if all events/incidents/weather/everything was turned off for the 2nd map, and any pawns going to it wouldn't technically be "leaving" the first map. Sounds like it could make things a lot less complicated too, as far as not having your groups of pawns "split up", but the task of actually making pawns "stay on the same map" may not necessarily not be complicated itself ::)

Plus, if pawns were still considered on the same map, then I am imagining that at some point in the future it would be possible to have pawns pathfinding between the two maps...

Ruisuki

I just want the space (station) 'biome' that others have mentioned.

Obivion

Have to say, Love it!

One thing I wasn't expecting was the result of the mine getting destroyed by cargo pods (thank you Randy). I had guessed badly that if that happened I could just build a new one and restore the connection, but the map is destroyed immediately.

Would there be a way to hold the map to allow a reconstruction to connect back to the map in future?