[1.0] DeepRim. Underground exploration/mining! Update: Christmas/New Year

Started by meowmeow, February 28, 2018, 10:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redxlaser15

1) This mod sounds great and I'm totally going to try it out!

2) I love how in one of your change logs you mentioned how you tried to add underground rivers and failed, it amuses me.

3) Why isn't this one the steam workshop?

EDIT: 4) I unzipped and put the folder into Rimworld's mod folder but it won't show up in the ingame mod menu. What happened?

EDIT 2: 5) Nvm number 4, I apparently needed to restart the game for it to notice.

Canute

KageNoOni

A bug I've noticed, I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.  If you click the underground half of the mine shaft, the ability to create new stockpiles breaks.  Colonists ignore any new stockpiles you create, and if you save after creating a stockpile, then reload, the new stockpile disappears.  Also, if debug is on, clicking the mine shaft results in a missing string error.

It seems as a workaround, you can load a save, click the lower mine shaft, then reload the save, and the bug goes away.  Clicking the lower mineshaft won't trigger the bug again until you restart RimWorld.

Quote from: Canute on May 17, 2019, 02:21:09 AM
Quote from: redxlaser15 on May 16, 2019, 05:31:15 PM
3) Why isn't this one the steam workshop?
Why arn't all workshop mod's on the forum too ? :-)

Most people have a Steam account, even among those who visit these forums, not everyone has a forum account
Steam has integration with the game, automatically downloading and updating mods for you, and installing them for you, there's a convenience factor there, which is probably the main reason people ask why it isn't on Steam
Even for those who have an account on these forums, there's no file hosting, so you need another account on yet another site to be able to host your mods
It's easier to upload mods through Steam, simply load the game, go to your mods, select the mod, and click the button to upload it
Searching the workshop is easier than searching here.  You search for a mod, you see a name, description, and screenshots.  You search the forums, and you are more likely to get false flags, because the search picks up every post, not just the threads, and you have to click the thread in question to see what the mod does
Steam shows you what mods are popular, which makes it easier to curate good mods.  They naturally rise to the top, on the forums more work is required to investigate.  I remember this problem specifically with Portal back when it was newer, the various levels I downloaded from forums were usually not that great, yet when the steam workshop came around, I found the levels that were highly rated, or popular, tended to be much better.

It's not hard to see why people ask for mods on the Steam Workshop, yet never ask for them specifically to be here, and also why people would choose Steam over the forums for uploading their mods.  I have no problem grabbing mods here, if I see something I like, this is just an explanation for why people want them on Steam, instead of needing to look here.

rawrfisher

Professional jerk
Want something broken let me know

the_Sac99s

Hi, could you work out another way to send items/pawns/pets up and down? It is really hard and troublesome to send Robots (Misc Robots++) or slaves down, and when none of your pawns are in the mines, you have to go to the world, then back into the mine to view them, would be very handy if a new interface is built. :)
Great job nevertheless.

Canute

When noone is at the underground map, there is still a blank field at the colonist bar you can click at to switch to that map.
Best way to send pawn down, draft them and manualy move them over the shaft.
Best way to send animals down, create an area just over the mining shaft, assign these animals to that zone.

Deadlyhooves

I love the mod, I made an account to request you bring it to Steam Workshop eventually though.

This being the only mod in my list that I need to manually keep updates can be a bit of a pain  :)

Carlhunger

Does anyone know what Filler Stone is and how to get rid of it? I've typed a couple of things into google and nothing has come up. It has a very low movement speed and is only around the mineshaft. Thanks

aRandomKiwi

Vas

Is there a particular reason this isn't on Steam Workshop? Its just that, I refuse to use any mod that isn't on the workshop because I don't want to be stuck checking the forums every few days or week to see if there's an update. The workshop saves the time by allowing automatic updates and all especially with me having over 100 mods. This does look like a great mod after all that I'd love to have but yea, I can't find it on the workshop.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Sally Smithson

My calculated guess is that as of now you cant update the mod with it's assets still on the map. Downloading it from the forums gives some freedom in when you can update and prepare for it

And no I am not someone who explicitly downloads from the forum.. About 97% of my mods are from steam

Rocket_Raccoon

So, tried it out for the first time I think although I downloaded it a good time ago.
At first, everything went fine, the mining shaft had the buttons to go up and down. However, after a day or so ingame time, the buttons are gone. I build a second mine shaft and that one has the up/down buttons again.
Anyone else had that problem?
Oh, and is it normal that traders arrive on my mining map? Trading spot was on my regular map.

Canute

Don't know about the button's at my playthrought i never encounter such things.

And there shouldn't be any trader or regular event's on the mining map, it is basicly like a temp. quest/mission map.
So i think some other mod you use change that. And i don't think that's tradingspot.

christianmc1101

Can you make an Climate Control Integration, so we are able to cool our unerground base?
Mein Lieblingswort: My favorite word:
Bundespräsidentenstichwahlwiederholungsverschiebung

Buffomet

I freaking love this mod, thank you so much. It's the only balanced way of digging up resources without leaving your base or trading. I'm curious though: can infestations spawn in underground biome? The spawn chance dev tool shows they could, but it's apparently not about that. I use the 'Set up camp'-mod, which gives you the option to enable caravan ambush/normal map events on camps, and I wonder if those settings apply here. Because all the map borders are closed, regular raids probably won't happen. I had 'normal map events' turned off when I created my current mining layer, so with the next one I'm gonna test with it on.

Does anyone know?