What kind of shows do you think your colonists are watching on the TV?

Started by Call me Arty, March 03, 2018, 04:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

Personally, I love the idea of a bunch of Glitterworld commercials being the only signal strong enough and with enough financial backing to be sent through enough satellite dishes (or other forms of data transmitting in the universe) to reach a Rimworld, or that some faction's Devilstrand plantation brought in enough silver to justify a production studio. No news from the planets your colonists left, no sign of rescue or the fact that anybody knows they're stranded, just a couple of guys trying to recreate The Rimfather part III from memory.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Boston

I don't. The fact that a TV station on a Rimworld

1) Has the equipment to broadcast
2) the equipment hasn't degraded. Seriously.
3) Has an audience. Just because this group has the resources to set up a broadcast station, that doesn't mean anyone else has the resources to receive it.
4) Speak the same language. Language drift is a thing, even in the same language, not to mention people from different planets

Is really stupid to me. Who the hell would go through the time and effort? More importantly, why would they go through the time and effort?

Much like most Rimworld lore, I just ignore it when it doesn't make sense.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Boston on March 03, 2018, 04:53:41 PM
. . .
Is really stupid to me. Who the hell would go through the time and effort? More importantly, why would they go through the time and effort?
. . .
Much like most Rimworld lore, I just ignore it when it doesn't make sense.

Huh, never heard about that show. That some New-England thing?
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

jamaicancastle

All telenovelas, all the time.

Actually I suspect it's primarily reruns salvaged from whatever storage media survived the various precipitous planetfalls that led to the outlanders being there in the first place.

1) Has the equipment to broadcast
2) the equipment hasn't degraded. Seriously.
Broadcast television basically just requires a big radio transmitter. The comms console could probably do the job when your colonists aren't using it, let alone the kind of dedicated transceivers you'd need to keep faction bases in contact with one another. There are also apparently satellites around many rim worlds from past or present civilizations, many of which could be coerced to work fairly well as retransmitters.

QuoteWho the hell would go through the time and effort? More importantly, why would they go through the time and effort?
Factions, for one. If you have the infrastructure to contact outlying settlements and deliver messages/warnings/orders, you have 90% of what you need for a TV station, albeit a crude one. As for why, it's a cheap method of providing entertainment for the public, especially the aforesaid outlying settlements.

Call me Arty

Toast

4) Speak the same language. Language drift is a thing, even in the same language, not to mention people from different planets

This is true, but it's not any more damning of a broadcast station on a RimWorld than it is of the very idea that a bunch of random vagabonds from different planets would be able to communicate with each other well enough to run a functional colony, and we all seem to deal with that unlikelihood without too much complaint.  :P

Furthermore, have you ever watched TV from a country where you don't speak their language? It can be entertaining as hell. Two words: game shows.

Headshotkill

I think they would find a variety of channels, ranging from ancient soap operas that've been travelling through space as TV-signals for hundreds of years originating from broadcasts on the other side of the galaxy to local skits produced by small-scale broadcasting stations on the various rimworlds. And off cours many commercials being transmitted non-stop by trade-ships passing by.

Call me Arty

How to profit from Rimworlds: A guide

Step one: Start a trading company.
Step two-A: Send a group of employees to some edge-of-nowhere Rimworld with a bunch of knock-offs of Glitterworld movies bought wholesale from an Urbworld.
Step two-B: Have them start a minor civilization.
Step three: Have those employees sell televisions to play those knock-off movies for crazily inflated prices in exchange for guns we didn't have to manufacture, ores we didn't have to mine, drugs we didn't have to grow or produce, and/or an expendable workforce we didn't have to capture ourselves.
Step four-A: Either purchase TV back from them for less than they paid for it once they realize that they only have three movies to watch on it, or power is more important for cooling-off food cache
or
Step four-B1: Tip-off to some pirates that they have the television, in addition to at least enough resources to justify a communications network that can reach beyond the atmosphere
Step four-B2: Purchase original colony's wares, now-enslaved colonists, and our own TV back at discounted price, with a further discount for light fire damage
Step five: Repeat on new Rimworld

sick puppy

i always imagined it to be an unhealthy mix of ads and propaganda

just like today

Snowcaller

Endless reruns of "Murder She Wrote" and "Columbo".
Probably Big Brother is still running. Best to not watch the bandits tribute show where they do things like Luci' up one member and give the others one dose then placebos or they put all their pyro's in together.
Endless repeats of commercials from megacorporations that are long since extinct.
Infomercials and Teleshopping after dark.
Made for TV Movies.

wwWraith

I think the AI cores could be used for generating new shows if there is lack of human-made ones :)
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

OopsLoops

If its from GlitterWorld... it is "RimTube" Streaming, meybe. 8)

and It's playthrough of RimWorld is streaming (oops, its me!? :o)
Good morning, RimWorld.
living in japan. im not well english.