If/when colonists return to civilization, how would they be viewed?

Started by Call me Arty, March 06, 2018, 03:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

I was thinking recently about endings other than a perpetual loop of crash, make ship, leave planet, repeat, and wondered what would happen if they finally returned.

Are these guys (and gals) going to be held as celebrities with book deals and movie rights to their story, having survived harsh conditions and built a rocket from scratch,  or is the universe already so saturated with humans that some people returning however-many tens or hundreds of year unimportant? "Oh hey, welcome back all six of you. This is Urbworld 461-J, and we just reaches a population of thirty-six billion, would you like directions to the unemployment office? Interview? Maybe we could squeeze a twenty-minute spot between episodes of The Real Housewives of Glitterworld Epsilon and Black Mirror reruns."
Also, would the greeting even be welcome? Assuming some rogue spaceship with no identification and a homicidal AI core piloting it (which doesn't really seem too wise, does it?) would even be allowed, what's guaranteeing that you wouldn't be executed or arrested on the spot? "We did what we had to do to survive. . . including but not limited to: Mass murder, cannibalism, arms dealing and manufacturing, drug dealing and manufacturing, desecration of ancient ruins -including the artifacts and creatures inside-, engaging in the slave trade, poaching ancient and mysterious organisms (Thrumbos) for their fur and horns, stealing lost goods and contraband (cargo pods don't belong to you), psychic warfare, and letting people in our care eat without tables" doesn't exactly sound like something authorities would hand-wave, especially including what those of you with the Rim of Madness and Anime Haircuts mods have done to your poor pawns. Plus, by the Unwritten Laws of Space Opera, you know someone's great*103 grandparent - who had no marketable skills and liked setting fires - tried to become a member of your colony prior to sale, banishment, or Hatification.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Vlad0mi3r

Probably like most people who have been through traumatic events where they have survived against the odds. Some initial fame and celebration maybe some royalties for the book rights and then back to normality. Trying to cope with the PTSD that has only really become apparent now that Mechanoids are not falling through the roof on regular occasions.

I am not a fan of cut scenes in games but that could be cool rather than the standard credit screen we get now at the end. Maybe you make it back to civilisation, your ship is attacked by Reavers and everyone eaten, you make it to a glitter world or you are lucky enough to end up back on another RimWorld.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

Hjack9090

Quote from: Call me Arty on March 06, 2018, 03:49:48 PM
I was thinking recently about endings other than a perpetual loop of crash, make ship, leave planet, repeat, and wondered what would happen if they finally returned.

Are these guys (and gals) going to be held as celebrities with book deals and movie rights to their story, having survived harsh conditions and built a rocket from scratch,  or is the universe already so saturated with humans that some people returning however-many tens or hundreds of year unimportant? "Oh hey, welcome back all six of you. This is Urbworld 461-J, and we just reaches a population of thirty-six billion, would you like directions to the unemployment office? Interview? Maybe we could squeeze a twenty-minute spot between episodes of The Real Housewives of Glitterworld Epsilon and Black Mirror reruns."
Also, would the greeting even be welcome? Assuming some rogue spaceship with no identification and a homicidal AI core piloting it (which doesn't really seem too wise, does it?) would even be allowed, what's guaranteeing that you wouldn't be executed or arrested on the spot? "We did what we had to do to survive. . . including but not limited to: Mass murder, cannibalism, arms dealing and manufacturing, drug dealing and manufacturing, desecration of ancient ruins -including the artifacts and creatures inside-, engaging in the slave trade, poaching ancient and mysterious organisms (Thrumbos) for their fur and horns, stealing lost goods and contraband (cargo pods don't belong to you), psychic warfare, and letting people in our care eat without tables" doesn't exactly sound like something authorities would hand-wave, especially including what those of you with the Rim of Madness and Anime Haircuts mods have done to your poor pawns. Plus, by the Unwritten Laws of Space Opera, you know someone's great*103 grandparent - who had no marketable skills and liked setting fires - tried to become a member of your colony prior to sale, banishment, or Hatification.

The quote at the end make me think that the AI is aiming toward a glitter world, which is generally of high tech. They don't really have any real problems on the glitter world, so they will prob be accepted. The surviving pawns don't have to tell them about what they did, and I think most of them would understand what they had to go through to get there, sort of like how you don't ask a soldier how many kills they got or how many of there friends die. Assuming the AI doesn't reach a glitter world, most types of planets would be relatively hostile (Medievalworld, steamworld, urbworld) however i think they would be welcome on a midworld due to their tech and knowledge. Or they might be shot. Who knows? 

Headshotkill

People have a distorted view of PTSD following things like war service and what I would imagine living on a rim-colony. They think the horrific things they've witnessed are the main cause of PTSD, which is true in some cases, mainly women/men being raped. The thing is, soldiers, and I would assume rimworld colonists devellop a very tight bond of trust between each other in these dangerous situations and when they return to normal life they quickly find out the world and people around them and their natural behaviour is usually very arogant, hypocritic, egoistic, greedy, deceitfull, you name it. This causes severe alienation of the individuall from the rest of society leading to depression, substance abuse and suicide.

Vlad0mi3r

Quote from: Headshotkill on March 06, 2018, 04:39:09 PM
People have a distorted view of PTSD following things like war service and what I would imagine living on a rim-colony. They think the horrific things they've witnessed are the main cause of PTSD, which is true in some cases, mainly women/men being raped. The thing is, soldiers, and I would assume rimworld colonists devellop a very tight bond of trust between each other in these dangerous situations and when they return to normal life they quickly find out the world and people around them and their natural behaviour is usually very arogant, hypocritic, egoistic, greedy, deceitfull, you name it. This causes severe alienation of the individuall from the rest of society leading to depression, substance abuse and suicide.

That's why I suggested it becoming an issue only when they returned to civilisation.  ;)
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

sick puppy

i assume people in the game of rimworld have heard of so many rimworld-survivors, be it rich people in the mid life crisis, some lost starship troopers but even people that have seen civilization for the first time in their lives and all the people they've met on their journeys and brought with them that they had to by now come up with some kind of unemployment, integration and resocialization program by the state.

at least that's what i would assume would the glitterworlds would be like. a sci-fi eu and especially just as bureaucratic as the modern day eu.

urbworlds could be similar but less sci fi, i guess maybe more on the cyberpunk side of things and less old school star trek-like in comparison to the glitterworlds.

but it would be totally different if they only had enough energy to make it to a not so modern world. what if they only had caveworlds and medievalworlds (?) in their vicinity? they could be looked as either angels sent from god or be the devil's servants.

i wonder if there are steampunkworlds...