Questions on traps and trading

Started by Dr. Z, March 06, 2018, 06:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Z

Hi, been a while since I played this game frequently, so I have some questions about a few details:

1: Can I still only sell items to orbital traders which are inside the radius of the trade beacon or can I sell everything in my stockpiles just like when trading with caravans?
2: Will my colonists avoid traps if they walk over the tile or will they trigger them?
3: Are sieges still a thing? Because I haven't seen one in ages.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Canute

1. Yes, and anything on your map for caravan, when there are no hostile creature near.

2. Not realy, moving over traps is a slower way then around. So pawn's mosttimes use the faster way. But sometimes ...

3. Yes, but not all faction doing sieges. If you got surounded by hostile tribal faction, you rarely see any sieges.

Dashthechinchilla

Colonists and animals will definitely still sometimes trigger traps. They try to path around them, but if a dozen animals are going through the bottleneck, they might go for it.

Dr. Z

Quote from: Canute on March 06, 2018, 07:20:55 AM
1. Yes, and anything on your map for caravan, when there are no hostile creature near.

The entire map O.o
Now that I think about it, it makes sense, because you can just make a stockpile anywhere you want anyway. But at the same time, isn't that also true for orbital traders?
Is there any way to tell which specific items are going to be sold? Lets say I have 40 meals in my stockpiles and three lying around on the far side of the map from the start of the game, can I specifically sell those three to the caravan?

2. Not realy, moving over traps is a slower way then around. So pawn's mosttimes use the faster way. But sometimes ...

What I mean is will they trigger them if they do walk over the tile? I have a one tile wide back entrance to my base and would like to lay traps. But at the same time my colonists should be able to use it without getting decapitated.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Wanderer_joins

Quote from: Dr. Z on March 06, 2018, 02:10:24 PM
What I mean is will they trigger them if they do walk over the tile?

They will, they just have a much lower chance than hostiles

Vlad0mi3r

The "traps are safe" mod is probably a must have in my opinion. Stops your colonists and animals setting off your traps.

Orbital traders will only work with what is inside the radius of your trade beacons. You can have multiple beacons to expand this area or have separate areas it doesn't matter. If something is outside the area it is not considered as available for the purposes of trading with orbital traders.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

Canute

The entire map O.o
Now that I think about it, it makes sense, because you can just make a stockpile anywhere you want anyway. But at the same time, isn't that also true for orbital traders?
Is there any way to tell which specific items are going to be sold? Lets say I have 40 meals in my stockpiles and three lying around on the far side of the map from the start of the game, can I specifically sell those three to the caravan?
For Orbital ship, the orbital trade beacons still count.
And no you can't select which item's get sold.
And i don't know which one get sold first.
But you can pause the game, and sell multiple times, just to check where the meal's are gone.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Vlad0mi3r on March 06, 2018, 04:19:45 PM
"traps are safe"
Don't do it! You're a young man, you've still got your whole life ahead of you!

mebe

Orbital traders will only work with what is inside the radius of your trade beacons. You can have multiple beacons to expand this area or have separate areas it doesn't matter. If something is outside the area it is not considered as available for the purposes of trading with orbital traders.

Mostly true but animals and prisoners can be traded even if not inside a trade beacon.

Vlad0mi3r

Quote from: mebe on March 06, 2018, 07:43:47 PM

Mostly true but animals and prisoners can be traded even if not inside a trade beacon.

Yes that is true. I stand corrected.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

sick puppy

Quote from: Canute on March 06, 2018, 04:28:38 PM

The entire map O.o
For Orbital ship, the orbital trade beacons still count.
And no you can't select which item's get sold.
And i don't know which one get sold first.
But you can pause the game, and sell multiple times, just to check where the meal's are gone.
pretty sure it is top to bottom, left to right. remember, rimworld is a program. it will just "read" the map and inmediately sell the first things it finds. so if you built your base in the lower right corner of the map, you can actually just let stuff lay around like wooden logs and picked bushes. pretty funny, isnt it?