why - animals are no longer 'tamed'?

Started by Kiter5, March 08, 2018, 02:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiter5

so, it appears that When an animal is tamed, it gets a name- sometimes just a number "Alpaca 5' sometimes an actual name "Hilda (the Rhino)". If they are wild, they are just "alpaca" or "elephant". plus tamed animals only have the "slaughter option" and wild animals will have options :hunt: or :tame:
Right? (3 months into the game, though I knew what was going on by now...)

SO-
Why is Hilda the rhino now wild? and Elephant 2?
They run with the wild animals and are no longer listed in my animal queue and have the "hunt/tame" options.

Toast

Did you sell animals to a trader at any point in the past? Sometimes when you sell a tamed animal, they will return to your map in an untamed state and wander the wilderness.

Kiter5

maybe...but I almost never sell my large animals.  I do on occassion though.

That could be it.

sick puppy

happens to me constantly. i usually tame animals and make the healthy ones fight and haul for me, the injured ones get eaten or sold, depends on what kind of bad times i happen to be in. rhinos never get sold due to their hitresistant skin and due to their low reproduction rate, but i even sell elephants and retame them only to resell them again. works like a charm. you can let them graze outside for free on warm maps and they can be sold even to an orbital trader without having to be close to a beacon. sometimes i also just hunt them obviously, no matterif i used to own them or not. pretty cool though that the animals keep their trained skills, so if you sell all your livestock at the beginning of winter in colder places or with a sudden cold snap, you dont lose too much. they will eventually wander back onto the map.

Ukas

You need to train them, at least obedience. If you dont, they will answer to call of the wild.

sick puppy

Quote from: Ukas on March 09, 2018, 07:45:21 AM
You need to train them, at least obedience. If you dont, they will answer to call of the wild.
what? no way
has this been confirmed?
no wait. this HAS to be wrong
otherwise all chicken and cats would run away after a while because they are untrainable. but they dont

Bozobub

NO animal is completely untrainable, AFAIK, although I also avoid both chickens and cats, so...  *shrug*

That said, no, tamed-but-untrained animals never become untamed, without selling them off 1st, that I've ever seen.
Thanks, belgord!

Ukas

Quote from: sick puppy on March 09, 2018, 10:11:40 AM
Quote from: Ukas on March 09, 2018, 07:45:21 AM
what? no way
has this been confirmed?
no wait. this HAS to be wrong
otherwise all chicken and cats would run away after a while because they are untrainable. but they dont

Farm and cattle animals behave differently to beasts and wild animals. Test it yourself, tame or buy a timber wolf couple, leave all puppies untrained and watch how they start to attack your colonists and other animals after they become adults.

Kiter5

Quote from: Ukas on March 09, 2018, 03:38:18 PM

Farm and cattle animals behave differently to beasts and wild animals. Test it yourself, tame or buy a timber wolf couple, leave all puppies untrained and watch how they start to attack your colonists and other animals after they become adults.

Hmmm. I'm guessing that more violent wild animals must be different than wild Alpacas or Muffalos or even elephants/rhinos. I often leave a few of their offspring untamed and never have had a problem with them attacking us... but never had babies from tamed wolves/foxes/wargs

Dashthechinchilla

There was a bug in A17 that caused tame animals that were sold or killed to respawn. You could really see it with normal spawn animals like wild boars. It is 90% fixed in B18. I still see my old animals respawn sometimes.

Ser Kitteh

So recently I bought a muffalo and for whatever reason it dissapeared??? I've never had this happen before in my 400 hours of playing and I'm pretty sure it's not because I accidentally killed it.

Is this the call of the wild you speak of?

Mehni

Or the new "slaughterer" mental break.

Ser Kitteh

Okay I just bought a couple of muffalo and I found out why.

In the animals tab, the muffalos still have owners but those owners belong to the trade caravan.

Yeaaah I think this is probably the giddy up system at work here.