[B18] Simple Armors

Started by SzQ, March 08, 2018, 04:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SzQ

Release date unknown
Might happen, might not
~ SzQ 25 April 2018

Description:
  In the world where everyday you can get an bullet into the chest, arrow to the knee or claw to the eye, people know only few ways of protection. They could make only armor vests and power armors. Until group of mad scientists discovered that it is possible to make various defensive apparel.
This mod aims to fill that hole between: no armor>armor vest>power armor.
Features:

Leather armor....☑ done
Metal armor........☐ in progress
Combat armor....☐ in progress

Screens:

Download:

soon

My first Rimworld mod and first graphics. I appreciate feedback on these 'textures'.
Once these 3 armors are plausible along with 2 helmets i will release mod. However it wont be complete. Here is what i wish this mod to become:

• Hardened Tribalwear - crafting spot and tailoring bench
  • Leather Armor - tailoring bench
  • Metal Armor and Helmet - smithy + tech
  • Winter Armor and Helmet - for those who like cold
  • Combat Armor and Helmet - machining table + tech
  • Maybe some kind of power armor
Then i will consider the main part complete and start working on little addon.

Usually contemplating my personal spacetime reality at
stream

Vlad0mi3r

Those textures look really good.

Any chance of making a shield to go with the armour. If you could that would make this mod a winner.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

SzQ

I can paint shields but someone will have to code them.

I think that leather armor will be crafted at tailoring bench. I wont it to be early accessible for tribal players. I am thinking about creating weak metal vest that would be crafted at smith and could be wear along with the leather and metal armors.

stream

wwWraith

1. <techLevel>Medieval</techLevel> or even Neolithic may be more appropriate for leather armor.
2. I think armor values should be nerfed. They can be further increased when crafted from harder leather types.
3. Same for insulation. 7/-15 looks too much if it's not some "fur" armor.
4. <MoveSpeed>-0.7</MoveSpeed> looks too severe comparing to vanilla equipment. Maybe it's just a typo and it should be -0.07?
5. <layers><li>Shell</li></layers> should be changed to Middle as it is for vanilla armor vest, otherwise wearing both these armors together will be possible.
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

SzQ

Thank you wwWraith
1. I think about Medieval but what does it actually change in gameplay? It determine if certain enemies can wear it?
2. Yea i just threw them from armor vest and lowered a little. I will nerf them as well as point 3.
4. I was looking at parka and other apparel and somehow set it to 0.7. Will fix.
5. These armors are going to be shell. They are not meant to have parkas/dusters/jackets on them. So i guess it have to go with "middle" level as well too not be too op. I thought about letting it be wear along with armor vest but i guess it wouldn't be possible to fit armor vest under such armor. You know... immersion.
Thank you for these points. After these armors are done i plan to make some winter equivalents.

I have a question though. If i want set specific workshop to have the recipe how do i set it?

stream

Harry_Dicks

Awesome!!! Congrats SzQ, I'm loving everything you've put out so far :)

BTW-If you are really considering doing shields, then I would recommend at least looking at what Jecrell is doing with the LotR mod/Jecs Tools; off the top of my head, I think all of the stuff is available to use from it's license, too. Recently there was support added in for shields, they don't count as apparel I believe. This way they can actually protect the whole body, maybe? But I'm not sure, I haven't really looked into it that much, but rather just watching as the updates come along. Either way, since shields were being discussed, I thought it was worth mentioning. Good luck!

Mitz

very excited for this mod. now if this could slightly replace medieval time's armour so i don't need their ugly socks and boots...
It's sad autism's an insult, then i must be an insult.
and my cat also must be an insult, as well as every other cat in the universe.
space cats.

Vlad0mi3r

Yeah the whole boots and gloves is a layer not needed IMO.
Mods I would recommend:

The Mod you must have:

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Vlad0mi3r on March 15, 2018, 07:46:21 PM
Yeah the whole boots and gloves is a layer not needed IMO.
Agreed.

Mitz

oh! if you need help and everything is just XML's and png/jpg's you have an extra teammate to help out!
i have minor experience with making graphics for rimworld, but i can easily understand XML's. don't expect assemblies from me please...
please don't abandon this, it's gotten so much support, more than my other silly projects.
space cats.

Ser Kitteh

This reminds me of Fallout's armor! Cool stuff!

If you can get some helmets for the mod, I'll be sure to download it too!

SzQ

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on March 19, 2018, 10:09:09 AM
This reminds me of Fallout's armor! Cool stuff!
Didn't expected someone to find so quickly my inspiration. Guess i am painting good enough then.
Helemts are on my list too.

Thanks

@Mitz
Thanks for suport, it helps me to motivate myself to continue. XMLs are really small deal in case of simple apparel.
I have problems with body side view. I often resigne because i can't get it right. Soon i will post metal armor.

Once these 3 are complete along with 2 helmets i will release mod. However it wont be complete. Here is what i wish this mod to become:

• Hardened Tribalwear - crafting spot and tailoring bench
  • Leather Armor - tailoring bench
  • Metal Armor and Helmet - smithy + tech
  • Winter Armor and Helmet - for those who like cold
  • Combat Armor and Helmet - machining table + tech
  • Maybe some kind of power armor
Then i will consider the main part complete and start working on little addon.

stream

Mitz

i'm trying to think of advice, the armour already looks good though i can suggest to go into your paint program, select the top part, and size it up a bit, but i do suggest afterwards to blend it together again. i'll try to make a fix if you need help! i can give you a head start on design if you like.
space cats.

Vlad0mi3r

My advice would be focus on 1 to 3 and then release it for players to test and give feedback.

Remember there are a lot of mods out there and there will be things that players want or really good ideas that will help.

Keep going.  :)
Mods I would recommend:

The Mod you must have:

Harry_Dicks

My advice is keep being awesome ;D