[MOD] (Alpha 5) Droids v0.5

Started by gertvv, June 08, 2014, 12:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gertvv

Droids v0.5:

Mid to late game you start needing to haul stuff over large distances and this becomes a bottleneck. An advanced transport droid helps you fix this, but it is expensive and requires very high crafting skill to build. (Feedback on costs, level requirements, experience gained, etc. welcome!)

Adds the ability to build autonomous support droids to RimWorld. Currently a transport (hauling) droid only. To build the transport droid, you need to do the following:

• Research Machining
  • Research Droid Manufacturing
  • Build a Droid Assembly Table
  • Craft Droid Parts x4; costs 75 metal, requires crafting 7
  • Craft Transport Droid; costs 4 droid parts, requires crafting 8
  • Build a Droid Charging Station to charge and activate the Droid

Note: colonists will currently only repair droids when they are inactive (they de-activate automatically when below 25 health), and only when they are in the home zone. If you need one repaired, add a home zone at its current location, or haul it to a storage in the home zone.

Now compatible with alpha 5!
Warning: game breaking bug! It seems that due to some changes in Alpha 5 the Droids will ignore reservations made by colonists and this causes them to take away meals that they are eating, or resources that are being used for crafting. This makes them pretty much useless! Also, if the resource is consumed before the Droid hauls it away, this causes the game to crash... For now, it is probably better to use the 0.4 version for Alpha 4.

Credits

Code and definitions by Gert van Valkenhoef gertvv@ludeon; gertvv@github.
Droid graphics by Psyckosama.
Portuguese translation by decomg.
Everything licensed CC-BY-SA 3.0. C# source code included.
The source is also on GitHub: https://github.com/gertvv/rimworld-droids.

Wishlist

• I would have liked to have the Droids built at the Machining table, but then I couldn't add the research requirement.
  • Different types of Droids, e.g. Harvesting Droid. The WorkType they do is already configurable, but droids can currently only perform unskilled labor because they don't have a proper Skill/Learning tracker attached.
  • Active Droids should be able to request repairs.
  • Droids should be disabled during a solar flare.
  • Researchable "super charger" station that charges Droids extra fast for higher energy usage. Perhaps also researchable "efficient charging" that boosts efficiency.

Changelog and source:

Available from https://github.com/gertvv/rimworld-droids.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Jones-250

Will test, I shall return...
Yeah, works fine... The greatest advantage is the manpower that it allows to work with other things beyond hauling. Despite the fact that you cannot draft them, not to fight but to keep out of harms way,  I find them very useful to do dangerous "grab-and-dash"-missions during assaults. That's 'cause they are disposable.
The greatest downside (and actually the only one) is the slightly slapdash texture. But that's an easy fix.
8/10
Skill,
  Cohesion
      and a Forward spirit.

gertvv

Fukara

Great mod !!!
Why droids die over time?

Mc_Peterson

i think it will be nice if you could make a drone for mining too, because only a droid to haul things isnt is that usefull if you want to mine, cause u will still need to send a colonist to do it

Fukara

Morrigi

a89a89

Crimsonknight3

This is an AMAZING mod! You should definately expand a little! Once the hauling has been balanced, expand upon them, make even more expensive ones that can open doors, and maybe even more expensive that can simply just cut trees/plant and one that just cleans and nothing else... Maybe even add in power requirements meaning they need to "charge" the possibilities are endless but well done this is great :)

beeeeber

Dont have the time to try it right now, but on paper this seems to be the most promising mod over there :)

Good work !!

exbeer

Quote from: Crimsonknight3 on June 08, 2014, 04:42:45 PM
This is an AMAZING mod! You should definately expand a little! Once the hauling has been balanced, expand upon them, make even more expensive ones that can open doors, and maybe even more expensive that can simply just cut trees/plant and one that just cleans and nothing else... Maybe even add in power requirements meaning they need to "charge" the possibilities are endless but well done this is great :)

ye , i was thinking the same thing , but as a recharge they need to go back to a robo port or a stasion , having them run on batteries ,in the same way the colonist  need sleep, and if they cant get back to there port then a colo. needs to go pick it up back to the port

gertvv

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback, I will add them to the wish list.

Also, I wasn't aware that they slowly die over time. It might just be that they take small amounts of damage from all sorts of events and they don't heal like normal colonists do. Perhaps colonists should be able to repair them?

exbeer

Quote from: gertvv on June 09, 2014, 06:30:48 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback, I will add them to the wish list.

Also, I wasn't aware that they slowly die over time. It might just be that they take small amounts of damage from all sorts of events and they don't heal like normal colonists do. Perhaps colonists should be able to repair them?

well if that is true, then yee, maby wen they get down to 25% or something and or they repair at a port if they can get to it, and the repair time takes lets say a few days depending on how dmg they are and so on .. :)

beeeeber

Or you can create workbench which create specific meal for droid. And you diguise this in a "repair tools set" or a kind of power source.. This would allowd some nice situation when you have to go outside for pickup a droid which is low on power...

lordscar82

thay shoud be Abel to open doors to kinda bad that you need to leave base open so thats one more thing you shoud add. and mining is a  good thing to and mabey Craft but very very slow