[MOD] (Alpha 5) Droids v0.5

Started by gertvv, June 08, 2014, 12:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

My god this is amazing! You did an awesome job. I'd hope to do something like this eventually but you totally anticipated it.

Nice work with details like colonists hauling them to charging stations, them charging themselves, and so on. You've really rounded out the lifecycle nicely.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

forsaken1111

So while testing 0.2 I made a simple little building and made two robots. Robot 1 I made outside and Robot 2 I made inside.

I have noticed the following:

1. Teleportation!!!
A drone cannot open doors, even powered doors, and will not path through them. What it WILL do though is attempt to haul resources to a stockpile on the other side of a door. This results in the drone picking up said resources and then magically teleporting them to the stockpile. Amazing!

When it happens an error shows up in the developer's console as you can see in the screenshot.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9910241/droiddebug1.PNG

2. Damage over time
The drones still take mysterious damage over time. Being inside or outside seems to make no difference. The one inside has been puttering about with no job and has taken 10 damage so far. The one outside was made first and has taken more damage but it seems to happen at the same rate. See linked screenshots.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9910241/droiddebug2.PNG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9910241/droiddebug3.PNG

When the outside drone lost charge and reverted to an inactive drone it stopped taking damage over time until it was recharged. The inside drone correctly recharged itself as expected, so that is working nicely. Well done getting them to have an internal battery!

I really think they should be able to go through doors. At the very least, powered doors should open for them if you can make that distinction.

gertvv

Quote from: Tynan on June 12, 2014, 06:08:40 PM
My god this is amazing! You did an awesome job. I'd hope to do something like this eventually but you totally anticipated it.

Nice work with details like colonists hauling them to charging stations, them charging themselves, and so on. You've really rounded out the lifecycle nicely.

Thanks for the praise! And thanks for a great game, you totally cured my crusader kings addiction ;-).

gertvv

Quote from: Psyckosama on June 12, 2014, 05:26:35 PM
With something as big as robot manufacture I could use more room for details. And with the charger I'm thinking 1X2 would work better. Give you space for a trickle charger/power inverter/diagnostic station next to the pad.

The robot manufacture can definitely be changed in size. For the charger I'm not 100% sure whether I could get them to haul the inactive droids to the appropriate square if its 2x1 but we can try!

Quote from: forsaken1111 on June 12, 2014, 06:32:00 PM
So while testing 0.2 I made a simple little building and made two robots. Robot 1 I made outside and Robot 2 I made inside.

Thanks very much for testing, very helpful info! I will definitely have to look into these weird problems. Interesting that the health loss only happens to active Droids. I probably will make them go through doors, I like the suggestion of only letting them go through powered doors.

forsaken1111

Would you consider making idle drones return to a charging station to wait instead of wandering? That way they are always charged and ready. They can always wander if no charger is available.

gertvv

Quote from: forsaken1111 on June 13, 2014, 06:21:33 AM
Would you consider making idle drones return to a charging station to wait instead of wandering? That way they are always charged and ready. They can always wander if no charger is available.

Yes I am planning more "intelligent" behavior for charging and also for getting repairs (once possible) - I will add it to the wishlist so I don't forget!

forsaken1111

A few more ideas:

A combat droid made from any submachinegun or machinegun + 5 droid parts + pieces of disassembled mechanoids. High health and built in weapon.

Cleaning droids?

decomg

WolfgangPolska

Well No-door-openig feature is kinda annoying. Can you remove it please ??
:D
I have no idea how, but it works!!!

gertvv

Quote from: decomg on June 13, 2014, 11:52:35 AM
Droids v0.2 Portuguese

Thanks a lot decomg! I have converted to the "official" translation format: https://github.com/gertvv/rimworld-droids/tree/master/Languages/pt-PT/DefInjected. Unfortunately the game won't load them (yet) if they're in the mod directory. You can take the contents of the DefInjected directory and put them in Languages/pt-PT/DefLinked of the Core mod and they will be loaded.

So I'm not sure... What you've been doing is probably easier for users but the "official" format is probably easier for us.

By the way there are a few thing you didn't translate yet... Much easier to spot in this format!

nmid

Trying this out. Will leave a review later.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. StorymasterQ

spatula

after playing with this a few times, here's my main notes:

crafting skill of 12 is high... it took me over an hour to get a guy from crafting lvl 9 to 10 training him up and by that time, my colonists had hauled everything there was to haul... I've only seen droids in action by adding them in dev mode so far (but I play with zombies/arachnids, so they're shorter games). I would like to see this be more accessible in the fetal-colony stage so that you can play the whole game with droids, as opposed to see them enter into the picture mid-late game... perhaps by making a "simple droid" (cft lvl 8) and "advanced droid" (crft lvl 12)?

Maybe advanced droid can be combat-capable as suggested by another?
Or simple has an even lower battery and tends to run out a lot more?
Maybe early on you might have a "droid has crashed down from above" event that would allow you to get a pre-built one early on?

- what about an end-game "android" that is basically a colonist at super-advanced level but uses power for food and can't socialize or whatever?
- maybe a limit on how many droids you can have (ie. 1 per charging station) or in general?
- skynet incidents: droid has developed self-awareness and refused to perform manual labour, droid has developed sentience, vows to avenge his enslavement and attempts to kill all hooo-mans, an incorrect wire sparks and a droid explodes violently, virus spreads through all droids and drains their power.

jusst some thoughts to throw out there!

Great mod, one of the best so far!

gertvv

I just released version 0.3, with three changes:

• Droids can now open doors, by popular request.
  • Inactive droids can be repaired, this should hopefully get around the issue of them dying randomly.
  • Portuguese translation by decomg, see the first post in this thread for how to get it working!

gertvv

Quote from: spatula on June 13, 2014, 05:28:32 PM
after playing with this a few times, here's my main notes:

Great feedback and suggestions! I will try to incorporate some of these. Probably I will lower the skill requirements next version.

NephilimNexus

Theory: Damage over time is due to starvation.

"But wait, droids don't eat!"

Exactly.  That's why they're starving.