Debugging help (is a Debug Version of Game Available?)

Started by FrodoOf9Fingers, March 13, 2018, 11:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrodoOf9Fingers

I've been debugging a mod of mine, and while the stack traces in game are nice, I would very much like to be able to diagnose dump files and/or attach a debugger. Both of which require symbol files. I've tried for a awhile to generate symbol files, or interpret dump files without symbol files (yuck), but it'd be really, really cool to get a debug version of the game. Is there any such thing floating around? Would Tynan be willing to distribute such a thing?

I anticipate getting dump files in the future.

And before anyone mentions it, the tool guide for setting up debugging for VS is out of date, the modified mono.dll no longer works with the batch file commands.

Soggy Noodle

me heathen

FrodoOf9Fingers

Quote from: Dutchedark on March 19, 2018, 07:58:24 AM
Have you tried using this?

https://github.com/pardeike/Harmony

I currently use this, yes. This does not produce debug information, it only allows better code injection...

What I need are the symbol files for the Rimworld.exe, so when I look at the process I can see the full stack trace of each thread. Currently, I have the symbols of my own code, Unity's code, and Mono's code. But the error I'm debugging is within Rimworld's code (because of interaction with my code), and I cannot tell the problem function. If I knew what function in the Rimworld code base was causing issues, this would be easy to fix.