So uh... can we look towards equips and vehicles for the next patch?

Started by Ramsis, June 08, 2014, 09:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you like to see lesser vehicles and equipment for your homies?

Hell yeah!
9 (39.1%)
Not really.
2 (8.7%)
It's too early!
10 (43.5%)
Really want to see some form of vehicles as soon as possible!
0 (0%)
Backpacks and armor all the way as soon as we can get em'!
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Ramsis

So sitting down with my umpteenth colony and I did some thinking... We have giant battery systems and the ability to create thermo-hydro power source things but we don't know how to make a crappy little buggy? Now of course call me odd for thinking this way but maybe it's time we got some more useful endgame stuff akin to vehicles and research towards them. I'm not saying give us crazy Heli's or a tank that can eat the sun, but something that shows progression would be marvelous! Early tech, buggy! You get the ability to build a vehicle for a crap ton of resources or with different items and should the AI think that a pick up from far away is literally too far away they hop in the buggy, go get it, and can unload it from the buggy! This does two things; it gives the players a high risk high reward present of sorts that can be utilized in logical ways while still keeping the general challenge of the game. Also the buggy runs on Electricity. Who the hell needs oil when you can literally make an entire base run on high tech stuff? Make a little charging pad or battery type that the colonists can plug the car into when they are done with it... also a garage door would be kewl... <3~

Also the above gives a lot more research options should you all be okay with it. More battery power in the thing, faster movement, more health, maybe even the ability to fire out of it for lesser scouting runs or to assist with hunters! Lots of really great options that wouldn't be too hard to implement here Ty! It could also play an interesting part in the sieging system as well in regards to getting from point a to point b.

Now for those of you not so vehicularly inclined I think it's about high time we get the ability to give our colonists some real gear! I'm talking getting them from their crappy rags to some actual grade stuff. Starting early on sure the colonists have little to work with save maybe some of the more military background'd colonists such as Assassins or Commissars coming equipped with some armor but other than that a bit of Muffalo fur and some metal in a new crafting bench thing and BAM! You now have your first tier of armor for your Colonists. No longer does the battle become some idiotic struggle of shuffling out colonists so the healthy ones get hit so the damaged ones can move back. Taking less damage for different types of armor means your colonists can actually defend their home and get close to do so. Got a psycho who loves her Shotgun? Get her loaded up in some high defense armor and let her go to town being a jerk! It doesn't stop at armor; give your colonists a backpack and see as they carry much more when they go about their lives! Your miners are scared of the dark so why not give them light helmets to see in the dark with?

Sorry, sometimes I think up silly things but seeing as the game is going to be filled with great options and opportunities it would be silly to miss out on these potentially amazing upgrades to the game. What do you all think?
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

AlyxMS

To have vehicles
Things like garage, charging station would probably need to be in the game for the first place.

Too early I think.

Ramsis

Quote from: AlyxMS on June 09, 2014, 12:14:49 AM
To have vehicles
Things like garage, charging station would probably need to be in the game for the first place.

Too early I think.

Personally I think it's the perfect time for that! Easily implemented new models with small variations in terms of artwork, the vehicle would be able to function off of movement AI that colonists use but at a much higher speed and without any idle movement, adding research into the game is incredibly easy I thought, etc!

Also not gonna lie, if we gets vehicles in game I'm willing to bet you money someone is going to make a racing mod for the game.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Semmy

Maybe this topic belongs more in the suggestions part of the forum.
that way the discussion can be held with way more poeple. Wich might lead to alot of other suggestions and ideas.
It is a nice idea. I do however remember Tynan someday stating this wouldnt happen to soon as there is alot of core elements that need to be set.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Coenmcj

Semmy has a point, better suited for Suggestions. Tynan has stated a few times that vehicles are further along the track aswell, so yeah there's that.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Ramsis

Can an admin move this message to Suggestions please? Thank you!

- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Coenmcj on June 09, 2014, 06:51:14 AM
Semmy has a point, better suited for Suggestions. Tynan has stated a few times that vehicles are further along the track aswell, so yeah there's that.

^ well that solves it.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Celthric Aysen

I also think that making vehicles in Rimworld will require alot of textures for it to like nice. maybe something similar on how Factorio Handles Textures for Vehicles.
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

AwesumnisRawr188

I don't want vehicles just yet, until the game optimizes to allow larger maps, or some other way to have vehicles be useful.

I'd want backpacks and armor first, but mainly armor, or kevlar you can research.

Speaking of which, armor can be it's own branch in the tech tree.

Like metal knight armor, which slows you down, leather that helps against arrows and stones, kevlar against a lot of small caliber bullets, and some kinda of carbon/titanium fiber that's light, but great against everything.