[MOD] (Alpha 6) Trap Pack (v .45) -Now compatible with Apparello's gas-masks!

Started by superpirson, June 10, 2014, 05:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evul

Armored power conduits!!! I was working on something simular ^^
Cool anyway! :D

Nirahiel

Tell you what, i'm downloading your mod just to fix the issue of "people not reporting issues."
=)

superpirson

Quote from: Nirahiel on July 13, 2014, 05:04:35 PM
Tell you what, i'm downloading your mod just to fix the issue of "people not reporting issues."
=)
I fear my mod is just loaded with balance issues, but no one has really given me all that much feedback on what to fix...
I'm glad someone noticed that, and I appreciate the help:)
specs: mid2009 MBP OSX 10.9.3 NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

AstronauticalFerret

Right so here's what I think about how horrible your mod is after testing it out.

Reasons why the mod kicks ass.

*Smart mines work the way they should work, they don't pull a "Blue on Blue".

*Pitfall traps work very well with animals, amazing way to defend against an entire herd of rabid muffalo.

*Incendiary mines make my enemies flip a biscuit in the form of running around on fire.

*Electroshock floor panels don't care who step on them.

Reason why your mod is broken.

*Incendiary mines have a very large fire spread range at the initial explosion.  One trap can cover a good area.  Unless there's some kind of technical story behind them (Pressurized with a napalm type fluid.) I find them to be quite overpowered, more so than the explosive mines. It's very OP, You can literally blanket lap an entire large group of enemies if you set them up right to daisy chain.

*Pitfall traps are good for animals but give no protection against enemy fighters. I'm not sure if this was done with reason but would like to see that implemented. Not to kill an NPC but more like to wound/cause psychological trauma as what was done in Vietnam and other countries during war.

*Electropads, even while shocking either an enemy or a colonist in between successive shocks the colonist or enemy will still shoot and hit. I don't know about you but I'd have a hard time aiming and tagging a person after being what would essentially be being shocked by a breaker box. Also I noticed it takes a long time for it to take a full hold on a pawn. Electricity comes fast no matter who fingers it.

*Mine proximity seems off. They feel more like standard trip/fall mines via direct pressure release. Though for balance I think they are fine the way they are, it's just the name that seems funny as they are not proxies since they require direct contact.

*Enemies do too good a job at stepping on stuff that in plain sight. Though this may not be fixable, it would be nice to see enemies attempt to disarm a mine a buddy stepped on, or send up a RT crew to clear mines out before the main force comes in to attack, which means you need to defend your defenses.

*Shock panels should use more electricity, especially when shocking someone if possible to do with the mod.  This would help with balancing out power management.

More to come when I get time.

superpirson

Thanks for the response! I really appreciate it.
Quote from: AstronauticalFerret on July 13, 2014, 05:57:05 PM
*Incendiary mines have a very large fire spread range at the initial explosion.  One trap can cover a good area.  Unless there's some kind of technical story behind them (Pressurized with a napalm type fluid.) I find them to be quite overpowered, more so than the explosive mines. It's very OP, You can literally blanket lap an entire large group of enemies if you set them up right to daisy chain.
ahh! I have sort of neglected incendiary mines for a while. on top of that, my play-tests were usually in desert areas in which there was little greenery.
that being said, I don't understand how they would be truly op, given that they do minimal damage on detonation. Their only significant effect is in their fire-starting capability.
I could very easily decrease their blast radius, or nerf their fire effect, but I would sorta like to hear more about how you were able to use them so effectively.

*Pitfall traps are good for animals but give no protection against enemy fighters. I'm not sure if this was done with reason but would like to see that implemented. Not to kill an NPC but more like to wound/cause psychological trauma as what was done in Vietnam and other countries during war.
when I started this mod, I started with pitfall traps that could trap anyone. the problem with those is that you cannot get colonists to avoid them (this is due to the way pathing works in rimworld), so you would end up constantly losing colonists down the holes.
I could change them back, but I'm wondering if I should maybe remove them entirely and replace them with a better trap type.
About psychological damage, that is actually something I intend to do, but it will take a bit of time.

*Electropads, even while shocking either an enemy or a colonist in between successive shocks the colonist or enemy will still shoot and hit. I don't know about you but I'd have a hard time aiming and tagging a person after being what would essentially be being shocked by a breaker box. Also I noticed it takes a long time for it to take a full hold on a pawn. Electricity comes fast no matter who fingers it.
this was done to add a bit of uncertainty to the shock trap, in an attempt to mirror the way electrical connections can be inconsistent. in retrospect, it was pretty silly, and will be changed in the next update to make them more deterministic.
*Mine proximity seems off.
will fix.
*Enemies do too good a job at stepping on stuff that in plain sight. Though this may not be fixable, it would be nice to see enemies attempt to disarm a mine a buddy stepped on, or send up a RT crew to clear mines out before the main force comes in to attack, which means you need to defend your defenses.
I like this idea a lot! I will totally investigate this, however I will say upfront that it is not too likely it will ever happen in the forms you mentioned. setting tasks for pawns is one of the things that I have had no success in figuring out whatsoever. that being said, I could think of a few cool ways I could make attackers attack the mines and traps that are easy to see.
*Shock panels should use more electricity, especially when shocking someone if possible to do with the mod.  This would help with balancing out power management.
I thought they used too much! this can definitely be fixed!

AstronauticalFerret

Thank you for reading my response and giving me your feedback!

On the incendiary mines here is a screenie of one that has been burning about 30 seconds before the second one below it blew up. The next one is for some kind of weird error but it don't affect the game so IDK what that's about. and the last is another initial explosion because a squirrel though it was a penut.

The fire area you see if from two mines that are about 8-10 blocks apart. Later on this created a very nice wall of fire that the enemies had a hell of a time dealing with. Minimal damage yes. But for some reason they just chilled behind the fire save for the couple who ran into it like morons. I'm not sure if the fire gives them cover *If so then that's pretty cool in an exothermic way?* but otherwise they should have migrated around to my guy's left flank which is where I got more set up. I use either a V lateral pattern or a Check Mark pattern or a W weave pattern when I place mines as realistically those are the best ways to lay down a good temp field the dirty way.

I'm tabbing in and out as I write this so I'm still playing with the fire bombs. it does a wonderful job now at pushing enemies back to stay out of my Jaxxa Shield range, though will have to finish them off fast in order to put the fires out before they get to my defensive position. Which I think balances out their use. The only thing I can think of is just turn down the radius of their initial fire spray by two blocks. Just my opinion. Such a wide area gives a great benefit to players who know how to use game elements/environments to their advantage.

Do you play to add in remote explosive shock mines or flame mines? End game research tech would be a great idea for that. With survival comes earned knowledge! :D

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

AstronauticalFerret

Had to make a second post because I couldn't put all three in one.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

superpirson

eh, the squirrel deserved it   ;)
I'm thinking I might add in some small item, call it kindling or something, that you can spread around just to make an area more flammable. When I do that, I will definitely decrease the firebomb radius.
love the idea of shock mines. It makes no sense in a physics sense, but what the hell, it would look awesome.
I will add a brief stun effect to the electrofloors as well.
thanks for the help!

AstronauticalFerret

No problem ^.^ let me know when things are updated and I'll do more stress testing.

superpirson

So I have been working quite hard on some updates to this mod, and I think that my changes will improve things. That being said, I made some huge changes, so I want to know if I made things too complicated or silly.

----Big Change----
mines are no longer built on site, but instead assembled into an "Unset Mine" at the Trap Making Table. You then just build the mine, and the colonists use the unset mine to build it.

Other Big Changes:
Kindling added - just assorted dry wood, spread upon the ground. Great for creating sudden violent fires to block off enemies.
Trap Making Table added - Used to build Electronics and assemble mines, as well as make caltrop bags for throwing caltrops
Electronics - Electronics are now required for almost all traps, they cost 20 silver and 5 metal to manufacture at the Trap Making Table
Explosives Refinery - table used to make Explosives out of Fire fruit.
Fire Fruit - a new toxic fruit that is inedible. it can be grown like berries or any other plant. used to make explosives at the Explosives Refinery.
Explosives - you have to manufacture explosives at an Explosives Refinery to be able to assemble mines at the trap making table. They cost 5 Fire Fruit to make.
Pit Traps now capture people again - please tell me if this is absurd or unbalanced, that mechanic really needs some work, but I am having difficulty proceeding.

Other changes:
fixed blueprint textures - I feel like such a fool not noticing this sooner!
some xml and code cleanup - more to come!
tweaked the Incendiary mine's radius on the suggestion of AstronauticalFerret.
rebalanced electrified floor.

Current Problems / why I want this to be called a pre release
the explosives refinery texture is a preliminary texture - anyone who wants to help me make a nicer one is welcome!
fire fruit just use the berry textures for now. This will change shortly.

Download here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9c85o5ctt1qdn20/trappack_30pre.zip

superpirson

ok, after loads of debugging and code cleaning, I feel like it is now time to finally do the proper release of the mod. The changes are effectively the same as those listed above, however, I have added simple FireBombs to the mod that are made with 1 Electronics and 10 FireFruit. they explode on command, and produce a weak and inconsistent fireball. other changes are as follows:
-Rebalanced incendiary mine, it now costs more, and produces a sizable fireball
-created repository for the mod, here: https://github.com/superpirson/RimWorld-Mod-TrapPack-
-a bunch of other minor bugfixes and rebalances

felixh

One thing I am not sure about: what should I do after a pit trap traps an animal? Of course the animal corpse can be hauled but what should I do with the triggered trap?

superpirson

You have to clean it. You can right click on it and select prioritize cleaning tripped pit trap. If that dosen't work, than I can check to see if I broke it somehow in the update.
I will try to make this more clear in-game.
Thanks!

Celthric Aysen

My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

superpirson

I have great news, a big update is on the way, waiting for alpha 6!
Amongst many a fix, I have also added in gas bombs that poison colonists. In addition, I have improved textures for many different things, with more improvements on the way!
with that said, I want to know now what you guys want to see done in the next version of TrapPack! Now is the best time for me to implement new and crazy ideas!