Couple of questions...

Started by Mattorious, June 12, 2014, 09:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattorious

To start off, first topic, Yeaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.  8)

While I absolutely adore the game, being new, I do have a couple of questions/concerns regarding various topics, so, here goes:

Changelog

1. Okay, manned turrets. I wanted to know if manned turrets require some sort of skill? It would be nice to have some sort of combat-oriented task for my non-hostile colonists (Lookin' at you, Dave!)

2. Quote: "Started work on getting 4-view graphics working for all things (not just pawns)." Not quite sure what this means, please unravel this mystery for me...

3. So, for Hostile Sieges, if I'm completely self-suffient in a mountain, will this style of attack just, not be relevant? From what I can tell from the changelog, they're primary siege weapon is mortars, which probably can't breach mountains.

Current Gameplay

1. Noob question, I know, but will we ever see more colonists than the 15-16 limit? It'd be nice to have a toggle or storyteller to let us(me) have upwards of 25-30 colonists. My computer can handle it. ;)

Thanks in advance,
-Mattorious
Quote from: wooaa on December 11, 2014, 11:52:49 PM
I love the mindset of gamers. Given a new feature to help keep our people alive and make the game more realistic, the first thing we think of is a way to kill people with it

Tynan

1. Not as of yet.

2. This just means that instead of rotating the same image for a bed when it rotates, we make three images of it and use the appropriate one at different rotations. Allows making nicer graphics.

3. Trying to go completely under the tunnels would definitely make this easier, though that lifestyle comes with its own challenges (e.g. no way to trade, limited power supply, limited building material supply). You'd also have to deal with the new cabin fever thought if people never go outside. I'm interested to see how this strategy plays out, to be honest.

---

1. Not planned any time soon; the game is supposed to be about individuals not crowds.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Mattorious

Thanks for the quick reply! Honestly, I wasn't really expecting the main dev to reply here. That's pretty awesome that you're involved in the forums like this.
I love the mindset of gamers. Given a new feature to help keep our people alive and make the game more realistic, the first thing we think of is a way to kill people with it

mrofa

Quote2. This just means that instead of rotating the same image for a bed when it rotates, we make three images of it and use the appropriate one at different rotations. Allows making nicer graphics.

Do this means you plan 2,5D for more objects ?

Quote3. Trying to go completely under the tunnels would definitely make this easier, though that lifestyle comes with its own challenges (e.g. no way to trade, limited power supply, limited building material supply). You'd also have to deal with the new cabin fever thought if people never go outside. I'm interested to see how this strategy plays out, to be honest.

Its get pretty much boring after 30-50 days, since thers nothing to do and you eventually run out of materials to fix electric explosions ( that was tested before there was wood ).
All i do is clutter all around.

Mattorious

Thinking about it, It would probably be better to use the tunnels as a last ditch survival move. Carve out caves that can be self-sustained, and duck into them when you're hopelessly outnumbered. The raiders would have to get bored and leave eventually, right?

mrofa

Well yes but it takes quite long time for riders to get bored, around 1,5 day if i remmber right. You can test it yourself, just build a 1 square wide maze and put sandbags in there, with lenght around 120-150 squares they should spend entire time trying to get to you and at the end they will get hungry, wild, and running ;p
All i do is clutter all around.

jjgoldman

Came here to ask the 4-View graphics question.  Was satisfied, but was dreaming of an isometric view.