GUI element for character status & selection

Started by jhabinsk, June 12, 2014, 12:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhabinsk

I find that it can be difficult hunting down colonists as the game progresses, and it becomes especially difficult once larger raids occur and everyone is in a small area. It would be nice to have a GUI element which shows characters and their health, where clicking their icon or multiple characters' icons selects those specific characters. I suppose the best example of what I am thinking of is the character selection GUI mechanic in FTL: Faster than Light. In that game, it's really easy to see when a character is being attacked or has dangerously low health, and you can easily select them and pull them out of a situation at the last minute.

StorymasterQ

Well, at the moment you can only scroll between your colonists with the comma and period keys, so that's something.

I do like the FTL character GUI, but since FTL actually limits your crew to 8, it's feasible to do it there. RimWorld doesn't really limit the number of your colonists. Well, the storytellers do, but that's easily modded. What would happen if we have like 10, 20 colonists? The screen will be filled with HP bars.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Sion

Quote from: StorymasterQ on June 12, 2014, 09:40:27 PM
I do like the FTL character GUI, but since FTL actually limits your crew to 8, it's feasible to do it there. RimWorld doesn't really limit the number of your colonists. Well, the storytellers do, but that's easily modded. What would happen if we have like 10, 20 colonists? The screen will be filled with HP bars.

Maybe you could select one or more colonists and add him/her to a list of colonist to monitor on screen?
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Sion on June 13, 2014, 08:50:06 AM
Quote from: StorymasterQ on June 12, 2014, 09:40:27 PM

Maybe you could select one or more colonists and add him/her to a list of colonist to monitor on screen?

That's racist! Or...colonist...ist...

Currently the Overview window already shows all the colonists, with less-than-full health ones denoted in red, and you can double click their name to go to him/her immediately. True that this information is not readily available, but it's a better compromise than a screenful of HP bars.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here