Alien factions and raids

Started by Ruler, October 28, 2013, 08:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruler

I think it'd be great for there to be varied alien factions all with their own traits. They could also vary in the groups they come in, such as some are alien raiders/slavers where as some are actual official alien soldiers part of an alien civilization. Either way, it'd be great to have a relatively large selection of different aliens that could attack your colony.

It would be pretty cool if not all of them attacked to just kill everyone, rather some aliens could be known for having a voracious appetite so they kidnap colonists to take back for food or just enslave them; or perhaps be there to steal some resources so they aim to take what they can rather than kill as many people as possible. Either way, just some examples on what different species of alien could do in game.

nomadseifer

From the Rimworld Primer: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pIZyKif0bFbBWten4drrm7kfSSfvBoJPgG9-ywfN8j8/pub:
QuoteRimWorld does not include:
● Faster than light travel.
● True aliens.
Love of an Idea is love of god - FLLW

Mucephorous

I think the current 'no aliens' fiction works, all those traits you described can be human traits as much as anything and isn't it more interesting to see humans doing questionable things than easy to blame/stereotype aliens?

Ruler

Quote from: nomadseifer on October 28, 2013, 08:44:19 PM
From the Rimworld Primer: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pIZyKif0bFbBWten4drrm7kfSSfvBoJPgG9-ywfN8j8/pub:
QuoteRimWorld does not include:
● Faster than light travel.
● True aliens.

Ahh damn, I must of missed that.

Quote from: Ruler on October 28, 2013, 08:18:25 PM
I think it'd be great for there to be varied alien factions all with their own traits. They could also vary in the groups they come in, such as some are alien raiders/slavers where as some are actual official alien soldiers part of an alien civilization. Either way, it'd be great to have a relatively large selection of different aliens that could attack your colony.

It would be pretty cool if not all of them attacked to just kill everyone, rather some aliens could be known for having a voracious appetite so they kidnap colonists to take back for food or just enslave them; or perhaps be their to steal some resources so they aim to take what they can rather than kill as many people as possible. Either way, just some examples on what different species of alien could do in game.

No doubt it would be more interesting, but in a different sense I suppose.

Tynan

This is really the factions module, which I really want to do! But without actual aliens. They'll be more xenohumans.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Produno

Ill post this here.

Because this happens regularly, people in the RimWorld universe come from extremely varied technology levels. Some are stone-age tribespeople. Some are medieval farmers and lords. Some are industrial-era politicans and bankers and riflemen. Some are information-age programmers or astronauts. And some are from eras beyond our own.

Is it possible to randomise a local tribe or 'poeple' at the game start from a set of different groups. Then have them randomly enter the map like the random travellers do but get them to attack you like raiders do. They could be in addition to the raiders. Could be interesting if they are randomised everytime a new game is started to give the feeling of a new planet every time.
If you really wanted to expand on the Rimworld universe in the future you could have planets with their own custom settings, name them, plot them, state technology levels and then create the local tribes for them. These planets could then be randomised on game start so you have a chance of starting on a different planet everytime you start the game. Just a thought, though it may create more work unecessarily and im not sure how far you plan to go with the whole Rimworld story.
Though thats if no-one buys the pledge ;p.

Voltronguy

i was rely hopin for aliens but now we modders can try to add them! suckz tho!!