Whats next for Ludeon Studios?

Started by Cloud Breaker, March 16, 2018, 11:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud Breaker

Hey Tynan and Ludeon Studios, I just want you to know you hooked me with Rimworld and regardless of what you do next I am very interested to see what your studio is going to be doing after Rimworld and moving forward.  I know Rimworld was your vision Tynan and I love it and I want to see what else you have up your sleeves.  If your future is open I even have an excellent idea for a game and would love to have a chat / share a email with you about it and if it isn't Ill still be here ready to support your endeavors.  Thanks for the great game.  Rimworld has gotten me through a terrible divorce and some of the hardest days I've ever had in my life.

Bozobub

Um......

Do you realize how often devs (and other types of engineer, and authors) get the "I have a great idea for you" line?  The real secret is, IDEAS are cheap and easy to come by; ACTUAL DEVELOPMENT is extremely rare.  Good luck with that :P!  If you want this type of conversation to happen, you'll need an actual worked-on project to show, not a nebulous idea.

I'm not exaggerating, when I say I've seen a post like this on *every game's forum* that I bother with, often in multiples.  Every.  Single.  One.  Marinate on that for a moment ???.

I may sound harsh, but that's how it is.
Thanks, belgord!

ReZpawner

The problem with ideas is that they are never ever thought out. Designing a game takes a lot more effort than most people think, it's never "just make a game with elements from this and that genre, inspired by this and that TV show". Every single aspect of it has to be planned and balanced - even the really really boring aspects.

Maverik

I just hope that in Ludeon continue working in rimworld, if Tynan is tired of working on it, is understandable, but it should not be difficult to create a "Rimworld Team" with 2 or 3 developers creating expansions and thus earning money to finance another separate project of Tynan.

Headshotkill

Wasn't the earliest concept of Rimworld a zombie/post-apocalyptic survival game?

Cloud Breaker

Quote from: Bozobub on March 17, 2018, 12:07:19 PM
Um......

Do you realize how often devs (and other types of engineer, and authors) get the "I have a great idea for you" line?  The real secret is, IDEAS are cheap and easy to come by; ACTUAL DEVELOPMENT is extremely rare.  Good luck with that :P!  If you want this type of conversation to happen, you'll need an actual worked-on project to show, not a nebulous idea.

I'm not exaggerating, when I say I've seen a post like this on *every game's forum* that I bother with, often in multiples.  Every.  Single.  One.  Marinate on that for a moment ???.

I may sound harsh, but that's how it is.

My real concern is knowing whats down the road if anything (Hopefully something).  I know Tynan reads his forums and the message is personal and one I hope he sees. 

The idea pitch is really casual and just a idea, If he doesn't care that's okay life will go on :).  I realize hes super successful and busy and probably doesn't need a forum post idea for another game.  Maybe for some reason its a rainy day and hes bored and he asks me.  Its just something we talk about at work and flesh out all the time and its humorous and gets us through the day.  Emergent story telling, life lessons and human perspective are great things that can come out of games and Rimworld really brought that home to me.  I do have ideas about a similar experience in a slightly different vein that I think would not only do those things but open peoples eyes to whats going on in the world and especially the common folk here in America.  Unfortunately I cant code and don't know how to go about making mods or games or I would.  I am a musician and I am currently working on a concept album of the whole thing because its all I can do which down the road could always be the soundtrack to the game ;)

The real question for me is whats next for Tynan, Ludeon and the future of gaming?  I cant wait to find out even if it means a lengthy wait while Tynan maybe enjoys the fruits of his labor and takes some much needed time off to relax and enjoy life.

Canute

Quote from: Headshotkill on March 17, 2018, 06:26:37 PM
Wasn't the earliest concept of Rimworld a zombie/post-apocalyptic survival game?
Zombie, no
post-apocalyptic, hmm maybe since the world is full of ancient dangers.

But basicly it is a survival.

b0rsuk

I think Tynan would just like to have a break for a while, like a vacation or just working on another game.