We all praise Tynan, but what about the other people who worked on the game?

Started by Call me Arty, March 17, 2018, 12:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

As it is currently, Tynan is the de facto reason we have Rimworld as it is. I was curious and checked the Ludeon Studios website (I never noticed the big 'ol "Credits" button) to confirm my thought that there probably wasn't just one person who worked on it. I was right.

My question to Tynan, any other member of staff, or any particularly knowledgeable player, what are some things we can't thank Tynan for? Not that he doesn't deserve the credit, I'm just honestly curious about what's happened behind the scenes. Who decided against modeling legs and mouths? Who's to thank for frostbite and heatstroke being penalties for extreme temperatures? Is the creature designer the same person who wrote the Fiction Primer (which has a pretty firm stance on aliens), or was there some headbutting over adding a mystical space-rhino/unicorn that can live longer than it takes for an aluminum can to biodegrade?

I'm also curious about The Rimworld That Never Was, if possible. Minor or major choices that lead to a more grounded treatment of the world rather than lasers and aliens everywhere, for example.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Wanderer_joins

Tynan did an AMA on reddit in 2016

QuoteWho decided to put some Western in their Sci-Fi RTS, or to put their Cowboy-Town simulator in space, or was it a completely different product that just evolved into what we have today? Was there a Rimworld with Wookies, Klingon, and Quarians in it before someone put their foot down and said no aliens? When was the line drawn that everything would atleast be mostly grounded in reality and phased-out plasma blasters in favor of bows and simpler guns? Or, more likely, how am I wrong on all of these? I'm mostly just curious and speculating.

I'm speculating too, but i think it's safe to say that all the design choices up to the tiniest details are made by Tynan.

Bozobub

It's still fair to credit ALL of those who sweat and toil on the game.  take a look at the movie industry:  Even the guy who brings sandwiches to the crew every day gets a credit, FFS ;D.
Thanks, belgord!

sick puppy

from what i could read on the website i'd assume most images and sounds arent directly made by tynan. heck, even if he did SOME of them, most of them were probably changed by now.

except wargs. they ugly. probably just a drunken sketch that nobody dared to tell tynan about.

Dashthechinchilla

It is a common issue, and probably related to the human minds inability to easily grapple with large numbers or complex data. For example, Eisenhower didn't win the American part of the war in Europe alone. He had a whole staff. The US President dosent write all the executive orders he signs. There are other people involved.

Bozobub

And?  the point here, is that everyone who has contributed to the "vanilla" game deserves their portion of credit; it's NOT all Tynan's work, not even close.
Thanks, belgord!

Cloud Breaker

I'm guilty of not knowing who else is involved.  But everyone who has contributed to suggestions, mods, art, anything really has my respect and gratitude to the max.  The Rimworld community has been a real pleasure to be involved in (Mostly lurking for myself over the years).  From the posts and the story's to fan art and mods its been amazing.  Thank you everyone really.  A great post bringing much needed respect and praise to everyone who helped make it happen.

sick puppy

Quote from: Cloud Breaker on March 20, 2018, 12:28:06 AM
I'm guilty of not knowing who else is involved.  But everyone who has contributed to suggestions, mods, art, anything really has my respect and gratitude to the max.  The Rimworld community has been a real pleasure to be involved in (Mostly lurking for myself over the years).  From the posts and the story's to fan art and mods its been amazing.  Thank you everyone really.  A great post bringing much needed respect and praise to everyone who helped make it happen.
indeed. i'm a new player and from what i've heard so many of the basic functions of the current beta came from forum suggestions. i am both thankful to the players and forum users back then and also for the devs for implementing them.

Quote from: Dashthechinchilla on March 19, 2018, 10:20:54 PM
It is a common issue, and probably related to the human minds inability to easily grapple with large numbers or complex data. For example, Eisenhower didn't win the American part of the war in Europe alone. He had a whole staff. The US President dosent write all the executive orders he signs. There are other people involved.
kek, to think that the us won the war in the 40s...you wont like it, but it was the ussr that did. if you want, you can look up some numbers or even people commenting on the numbers. i think the youtube channel "military history visualized" did a great job at that. incredibly detailled but still not overly complicated. he did practically all the research and thinking for us.
and no, it's not a russian channel, the guy's german. i dont think he is biased.
'america' winning ww2 sounds as unrealistic as france claiming they won ww2 with only little help of their allies.

Bozobub

You apparently missed "the American part of the war" ::).  If you're going to nitpick, be correct.  Otherwise, you embarrass both yourself and everyone else at the same time.  "Kek", indeed.
Thanks, belgord!

Call me Arty

"Let's recognize and celebrate the people who made the product we love, but just aren't as public as the head developer and face of the game."

"Boy, let me tell you about the second World War!"
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

cultist

It's not like it's a secret. There's a credit list when you "complete" the game (launch the spaceship). There's also a page on Ludeon's website that lists the other people that worked on the game: https://ludeon.com/blog/studio/

Alistair Lindsay made the music, and there's been at least one appreciation thread for him. And I think most players who've been around for a while know who Ison is. I think most of the sounds are either freeware or stuff Tynan bought as assets. Rhopunzel made the original sprites (pawns and most of the animals).

Call me Arty

Quote from: cultist on March 22, 2018, 10:26:41 AM
It's not like it's a secret. There's a credit list when you "complete" the game (launch the spaceship). There's also a page on Ludeon's website that lists the other people that worked on the game: https://ludeon.com/blog/studio/

Alistair Lindsay made the music, and there's been at least one appreciation thread for him. And I think most players who've been around for a while know who Ison is. I think most of the sounds are either freeware or stuff Tynan bought as assets. Rhopunzel made the original sprites (pawns and most of the animals).

Hah, "finish the game."

I probably just got my hopes up, imagining some neater history behind things, y'know? I was less interested in who did what sprites, and the story behind them. I'm curious, for example, how the Thrumbo came along. Did Tynan want a significant threat aside from the usual pirate-mech-bug, and ask his "art guy" for another couple sprites, was Rhopunzel working on giant insects and trees and then just wondered about how extreme he could make a creature and get away with it, or anything else like that?

ReZpawner

What on earth are you guys even talking about? He credits the other people frequently, and the other devs are also active on the bugs forum - particularly during experimentals. Tynan is obviously the big dog, as the lead, so he's clearly the one people immediately think of, but it's not as if he's trying to hide the fact that others are working on the game.

sick puppy

Quote from: ReZpawner on March 23, 2018, 09:26:08 PM
What on earth are you guys even talking about? He credits the other people frequently, and the other devs are also active on the bugs forum - particularly during experimentals. Tynan is obviously the big dog, as the lead, so he's clearly the one people immediately think of, but it's not as if he's trying to hide the fact that others are working on the game.
wtf, nobody claimed that
wth man

all arty wanted is to get some neat inside stories about development.

heck if it's time and nerves, i'd listen to a short one-of podcast made by tynan and maybe some of his collegues about how things became that they were

Call me Arty

Quote from: sick puppy on March 24, 2018, 02:34:10 AM
Quote from: ReZpawner on March 23, 2018, 09:26:08 PM
wtf, nobody claimed that
wth man

all arty wanted is to get some neat inside stories about development.

heck if it's time and nerves, i'd listen to a short one-of podcast made by tynan and maybe some of his collegues about how things became that they were

Holy hell, I think that's the best thing you've posted yet. I'd love to listen to another podcast, I already burn through them while playing the game.