Mod Collections?

Started by Thangunis, March 17, 2018, 03:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thangunis

Hi community,

can someone point me into the direction of good mod collections that imrpove vanilla without changing the game totally? I have started with mods like hospitality etc. and have the feeling that there are a lot of good mods out there. But to search for them in the steam workshop I would first need to know what to look for in the first place...

Call me Arty

Improved Vanilla? I can do that.

Here's Giddy-up! and RunAndGun. I really like them, they improve combat without making it too crazy. RunAndGun is a must-have for me, as watching a pawn with a ranged weapon run either from an enemy or towards cover while just taking shots gets kinda infuriating.

Feel free to pick and choose from the Vegetable Garden Project. It's got more variety than the starches we have to plant and the bland and boring meals we have by default. A range of pretty interesting, colorful, and tasty produce, in addition to some pretty cool meals to help boost your colony RPG style, even if it's only by a couple percent.

The Rimsenal Pack is on the border of the difference between "vanilla+" and "changing the game." Essentially, you've got new factions and corresponding gear to choose from. Essentially, imagine it like Halo. The UNSC arsenal being vanilla Rimworld, and the Covenant's arsenal being the modded content. A round of slayer with just the human weapons is fine, but it's the needlers, plasma grenades, and fuel rod cannons that spice things up (apologies if you've never played Halo, I just assumed a lot of people have played it at least once).

Rainbeau Flambe's mods are also pretty awesome and varied. He doesn't have a specific pack for them, but it's just a general shotgun of neat stuff. Smoothing stone walls so you don't have to destroy them so you can run wires through them, concrete being made from concrete instead of steel, a new biome that fits in with vanilla, etc. It's pretty cool stuff in general.

Finally, some solo mods that aren't part of a pack, but you should get anyways.
Allow Tool is my quintessential "quality of life" mod. It makes it much easier to let your pawns know what you want them to do so that you don't have to babysit the poor little colonists.
Doors Expanded and Stuffed Floors are pretty nice, too. They help ease the fact that you're looking at the same couple of textures for hours on end.
Found some ruins. It's a box. Found more ruins. Box. The Misc.  MapGenerator fixed that. Now, ruins are in more interesting shapes, so you aren't just stuck with the same boxes over and over.
Fluffy is a lovely gentleman who makes great mods. In addition to stuffed floors, I recommend Research Tree. It adds a research far more accommodating of a bunch of projects you're probably going to get with some of the larger mods (or a bunch of smaller ones that add up). In the same vein, The Rimworld Search Agency is immensely helpful in keeping you from tearing your hair out because you're trying to play 20 Questions just because you're trying to figure out where the hell components are in the item menu, let alone the hundreds of things you can get from mods. It's a godsend for stockpileophiles like me.

Hope these help put you on the right path. Be careful to check your dependencies and conflicts! You want some heavier stuff, you just let me know, and I'll do my best to give you enough mods to get you a quarter or so of the way to Rimworld 2 (if you want an actual copy of Rimworld 2, I think SpaceDorf is working on it).
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Thangunis

Quote from: Call me Arty on March 19, 2018, 05:41:38 AM

Here's Giddy-up! and RunAndGun. I really like them, they improve combat without making it too crazy. RunAndGun is a must-have for me, as watching a pawn with a ranged weapon run either from an enemy or towards cover while just taking shots gets kinda infuriating.

Does it limit running and gunning or does it make it possible?

Dashthechinchilla

Thanks. I have been looking for a vanilla enhancing mod to allow things like replacing cut off noses that isn't game breaking. How does a turtle bite off the nose of a standing human, anyways.

Vlad0mi3r

Quote from: Dashthechinchilla on March 19, 2018, 10:08:57 PM
Thanks. I have been looking for a vanilla enhancing mod to allow things like replacing cut off noses that isn't game breaking. How does a turtle bite off the nose of a standing human, anyways.

Rah's Surgery and Bionics is the way to go for this one very Vanilla in its approach to fixing injuries.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

Call me Arty

Quote from: Thangunis on March 19, 2018, 11:35:57 AM
Quote from: Call me Arty on March 19, 2018, 05:41:38 AM

Does it limit running and gunning or does it make it possible?

Giddy-up is one of my newer installs, but it should work fine with RnG.
Oh, and it's a personal preference (no offense to Vlad0mi3r) but I prefer Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering (EPOE) over Rah's Surgery and Bionics, but it's up to you to decide on which, it's pretty Coke-or-Pepsi for the most part. EPOE just seemed to be compatible with more of the alien/xeno mods I was playing with.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Vlad0mi3r

Yep Giddy up does work with run and gun. Be warned though raiders can also "Ride and gun" so things get very close very quickly. Not having to stop with the assault rifle as the raiders close in can get hairy.

True I don't play with any of the alien framework stuff.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

VincentJ

Hello

Here's my mod list

Rimworld core
hugs lib
--------------
giddy up core
giddy up caravan
--------------
I don't really use giddy up, I don't really see the interest, but it sounded cool, so...

--------------
VGP CORE
VGP xtra trees and flowers
VGP More Veggies
VGP Garden Resources
VGP Garden Medicine
VGP Garden Fabrics
VGP Garden Drinks
VGP Garden Gourmet
VGP Garden Tools
---------------
VGP is really a must have, but I don't like the compost system. Really ugly and unefficient

---------------
CUPRO'S DRINKS CORE
Cupro's driks - alcohol
---------------
I've installed this because I always had strange items from space cargo, and to use them I needed this

--------------
hospitality
--------------
A very good mod, even if during my last game the father of a pawn came in my colony, he was very old and told he was going to stay only a few days, he never left

--------------
medieval times
--------------
Very good mod, the problem is it adds intermediate clothing, like wraps, socks and gloves, you can have it only in the medieval era. A big issue is the value of the weapons and armor, way too expansive in comparison to modern guns.

-------------
expanded prothestics
-------------
Or EPOE, seems very funny, although I never tried it

-------------
prison labor
-------------
Must have, but recruit prisonners seems harder since I have psychology installed

-------------
pick up and haul
-------------
I remember the game was very annoying when this mod wasn't at my disposal

-------------
land fill terrains plus
-------------
There's a lot of things inside. I prefer making rich soils with corn and diablestrand

-------------
dub's bad hygiene
-------------
<3 <3 <3 Your pawns want to pee and to wash themselves, let you build a centralised heating system

-------------
expanded roofing
-------------
You can build transparent roof, to farm all the day

-------------
Additional Joy Objects
-------------
This mod is very useful for the art skill
You can now write your own story !

-------------
story teller hair [B18]
-------------
seemed cool, although I usually don't install esthetic mods. Sometimes there's pawns with iroquois hair, can't say more

-------------
Mod Furniture [B18]
-------------
useless furniture

-------------
Children
-------------
Pawns can have babies now, but they go out from their mothers like poop, and walk so slowly... the only thing they can do then is mining

-------------
Tribal essentials
-------------
The beginning is way harder but funny. You can stay a lot of time in the neolithic era, such fun.

-------------
better infestations
-------------
Very interesting but for confirmed players. You now must build walls around insects nests if you don't want them to eat all the creatures of the map. They are many and they are hungry so beware

-------------
dire raids
-------------
This mod should allow the possibility of a special event, a huge army of raiders coming to take every inch of your camp. Fortunately, I've never met the event

-------------
kv trading spot
-------------
With this mod, caravans come at the exchange point, not inside your base.

------------
let's trade !
------------
This mod should add 4 new traders. It brought conflicts with other mods, so I think I have to reinstall the game. That's why I'm here, I'd like to take a new beginning in my mods, what do you think about my list ?

XeoNovaDan

I'd happily recommend all of Fluffy's mods which each offer great quality of life improvements in one way or another.

A few more recommendations:
New Zone Tools, WorkFlex and Patient Sanity - not available on Steam
Better Workbench Management
Don't Shave Your Head - this one isn't available on Steam

I'd also recommend checking out Mehni's mods; he makes some pretty good stuff. I'm personally using Number 22 with Rice, Minigun Handling Techniques, Food Alert, Sun Tzu Raider Tactics, Climate Cycle++, How Much Longer My Muse, Orbital Trader Transponder and Dismiss Trader from his collection.

Also taking the opportunity to shamelessly self-promote my own mods since they're close to vanilla. I'd recommend Aim Incendiary Anywhere, Better Chain Shotgun, Forbiddable Debris, Parasite Tends Matter, Simple Plastic, Skill Overhead and my Genetically Engineered Plant mod for mods that improve on/fill extra niches in vanilla.

There are tons of other mods too; it's hard to really go wrong with how many mods are out there.