[1.5] Medical Dissection - Train your medicine skills

Started by Heremeus, March 17, 2018, 06:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiamondBorne

There's a mod called Medical Training by ItchyFlea (I think). The mechanic in that mod is inferior to this one and doesn't update anymore but it has a good looking 1x2 tiles dissection table. Maybe you could use that, because I dislikes using a copy of butcher table.

Heremeus

Quote from: DiamondBorne on March 18, 2018, 02:39:31 PM
There's a mod called Medical Training by ItchyFlea (I think). The mechanic in that mod is inferior to this one and doesn't update anymore but it has a good looking 1x2 tiles dissection table. Maybe you could use that, because I dislikes using a copy of butcher table.

Yeah I found out about that mod too late and decided to publish mine anyway as the other one is just simple xml (no custom code) and not updated anymore. I like that table texture but I can't simply steal it. I'll try to get an own texture for the table as soon as possible but my art talent is very limited.

wedekit

This game makes me feel terrible about myself when I take a step back and consider the things I do. As a way to try and get extra medical skill experience I usually do crazy experiments on animals (no mood debuff and I can just butcher them afterwards). Dissections is a great compromise to that, so I really love the idea behind this mod.

Also, just as a thought: damaged corpses actually (in real life) provide valuable data/sources of learning for those studying medicine. For example, seeing damaged limbs or organs is how you train future surgeons to identify specific complications and important indicators on appropriate courses for treatment. Healthy legs aren't very helpful when learning about how to properly amputate, or even how to determine if an amputation provides the best treatment outcome. Another example would be that people who die from damaged/destroyed organs can be later observed to determine if surgical intervention could have saved their life.

If you don't mind a suggestion, it seems more appropriate to tie the skill gains on the freshness of the corpse. A body with molding/decaying parts isn't particularly useful when it comes to treating living things... other than as inspiration not to let them get that way! ;D

But, like I said, corpses with missing/badly damaged pieces are actually valuable resources, just in a different way. Sometimes less is more!

Heremeus

Quote from: wedekit on March 22, 2018, 05:35:19 AM
This game makes me feel terrible about myself when I take a step back and consider the things I do. As a way to try and get extra medical skill experience I usually do crazy experiments on animals (no mood debuff and I can just butcher them afterwards). Dissections is a great compromise to that, so I really love the idea behind this mod.

Also, just as a thought: damaged corpses actually (in real life) provide valuable data/sources of learning for those studying medicine. For example, seeing damaged limbs or organs is how you train future surgeons to identify specific complications and important indicators on appropriate courses for treatment. Healthy legs aren't very helpful when learning about how to properly amputate, or even how to determine if an amputation provides the best treatment outcome. Another example would be that people who die from damaged/destroyed organs can be later observed to determine if surgical intervention could have saved their life.

If you don't mind a suggestion, it seems more appropriate to tie the skill gains on the freshness of the corpse. A body with molding/decaying parts isn't particularly useful when it comes to treating living things... other than as inspiration not to let them get that way! ;D

But, like I said, corpses with missing/badly damaged pieces are actually valuable resources, just in a different way. Sometimes less is more!

That is a valid argument to be honest. I already added bonus experience for diseases but maybe I should rethink the exp malus for damages to the affected body part. I will try to find some balance between bonus exp for some bruises or cuts and a malus for completly destroyed body parts.
Freshness is a good argument too. I don't allow rotten corpses so far but maybe there should be an exp falloff after a certain time if the body is not frozen.

Canute

Quotebut maybe there should be an exp falloff after a certain time if the body is not frozen.
Maybe a generell falloff depend on How long a corpse is dead.

So fresh, less then 3 days give the most exp. And then for each day more you loose 10%.
But thats just the bonus exp, a corpse still should give a basic/min. amout of exp.

And if you want be cruel, you can add a surgery recipe "Dissection" for living pawn, so the student's can learn at the living objects.
But i am unsure about the mood factor for the colony and the one who do the surgery.

Ruisuki

Heremeus

I sadly don't have the time at the moment to do bigger changes on the mod. If something breaks, let me know and I'll get it fixed. But can't do much about new features or other improvements currently.

Ruisuki

ok cool. no worries ill take a look at the mod when you return. the todo list looks good. probably by the time 1.0 rolls around

Smexy_Vampire

i am haveing a hard time to get the table to work and i have all 5 reserches done . ? could it be that im useing alian races and your mod dosent find them ass a resorce ? or do you think its a conflict with harvest mod

Heremeus

Finally updated the mod for v1.0! :)

Quote from: Smexy_Vampire on August 02, 2018, 08:30:46 AM
i am haveing a hard time to get the table to work and i have all 5 reserches done . ? could it be that im useing alian races and your mod dosent find them ass a resorce ? or do you think its a conflict with harvest mod
Yeah, I heard about alien races not working correctly with the mod. I'll have to look into that once I find some spare time.

vandal

youre back! any plans to continue the mod? the todo list looks like it has a good handle on where youre going with this

dkurage

vovik

I updated a mod slightly - more customizations, added extracting of bionics from dead bodies, added option to extract artificial bodyparts, later will add chance for dissector to get infected.

Upd:made everything to work ase xpected, left to add proper language texts.
maybe ill rework that stuff into jobgiver later

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FwsxPdDUiBCEQ1WcllCrnmbdFIIfOcE0
Nun liebe Kinder gebt fein acht
Ich bin die Stimme aus dem Leere
Ich hab euch etwas mitgebracht
Ein heller Schein am Firmament
Mein Herz brennt

aemeyer

Now my preindustrial colony can learn how bodies work just like everyone else did in the early 1900's: tearing them to bits.

Also, you might want to make sure your github and steam versions are up to date as well.

Heremeus

Finally finished version 2.0! :)
Quite a big overhaul on the code side but the core concept stayed. You finally get a beautiful dissection table thanks to /u/Edward_StoneHammer. The mod now is better balanced and got other little improvements. Full changelog is in the updated original post.

Sorry for being quiet all this time. I didn't get any notifications (changed my settings now) and didn't expect anyone to reply here.

@vandal I added some new stuff and simplified other things. Dropped the whole dynamic xp idea. While it's interesting, the player has no idea what actually happens. Now it's a straight "you get 3000xp for 1.5 ingame hours of work on one body".

@vovik I will have a look into the changes and see what I can integrate into the mod. It's now all handled by a jobgiver.