[1.2] (WIP) Red Horse: Tacticool Expansion

Started by Chicken Plucker, March 17, 2018, 10:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Empire vs US Marines. Who will win?

The freakin' MARINE CORPS BABY OOH-RAH SEMPER-FI!
38 (15.2%)
Galactic Empire. It's treason, then.
43 (17.2%)
This is ridiculous, the Army would step in and run over everyone with their Camaros
3 (1.2%)
This is ridiculous, the Navy would step in and sing YMCA during the fight
5 (2%)
This is ridiculous, the Air Force would be in a 5 star hotel dropping MOABs
9 (3.6%)
This is ridiculous, the Space Force would send in Master Chief
34 (13.6%)
Russia.
118 (47.2%)

Total Members Voted: 250

Chicken Plucker

Quote from: Malinov on March 23, 2018, 02:41:44 AM
Glorious breekiness, gotta love the tracksuit dudes and the accordion pawn.

I am glad you like it, I am gonna go sleep now, I have spent day and night squashing cheeki bugs for this mod that caused infinite errors, but now all is well and more importantly, the spetsnaz spawn with vodka.

I would make President Putin so proud.

Note to self:

Stop procrastinating and update DOOM already (even though you are procrastinating from your university work with Rimworld mods, plus that music video you promised that certain somebody, rip)

SzQ

Quote from: Chicken Plucker on March 22, 2018, 07:33:37 PM

All textures 100% done, made a new bench for slav gear, I honestly got stuck, couldn't think of what to make the bench look like or what to call it so I got lazy and will call it "Vodka Bench" just for cheeki jokes.

I picked the VAB APC for war mongrels. Coding will start for this new bench, and the new clothes, then finally finish up on the faction coding and for release.

Latest news on Umbra Company and how tanks will work, the tanks that fire HE shells will now be more accurate and deadly. Armors and health will be buffed so now it will be impractical to send infantry with rifles against tanks, you will need explosives.

Update not live yet.

So i was thinking why vehicles doesn't seems right for RW style and i found it.

Mr Chicken could you spend some of your time and make low quality vehicle but! draw it from the above perspective same as all buildings.
This way:

I am very curious about the results.

Usually contemplating my personal spacetime reality at
stream

Chicken Plucker

So I still wanna procrastinate on DOOM, and I also now want to put away MGS factions till later, so I thought "Hey, why not do a faction that isn't on the list because everything on the list is super duper scooper hard?"

The following are updated British Military Kit textures that aren't live yet, and some new items that will appear for the faction and the base mod soon.

Items:

British Army MRE

Harrybo

Daily Milk

Runners Crisps

Locozade energy drink

What kind of self respecting British grunt would you be if you went in the battlefield without proper British food?!

A Scotsman.

British Army:

Royal Marines Commando:

U.K.S.F.

Tank textures in the works.

3 of which will be:

ASCO Ulan (Ajax) - IFV
FV101 Scorpion - IFV
Challenger 2 - MBT

Chicken Plucker

Quote from: SzQ on March 24, 2018, 01:56:44 PM
So i was thinking why vehicles doesn't seems right for RW style and i found it.

Mr Chicken could you spend some of your time and make low quality vehicle but! draw it from the above perspective same as all buildings.
This way:

I am very curious about the results.

Hey SzQ, you just put me on "the spot" :o

Well the truth is (not that I tried to keep it a secret) I do not draw any of the tank or fighting vehicles by hand, instead I take 3D models from this website: https://hum3d.com/3d-models/cougar-he/#360view

I use the 3D viewer and take the angles I need, and use photoshop to add them in Rimworld. I couldn't think of any other way to gather vehicles since ones that allow you over the top view may require for you to purchase the model, while this website gives it away for free.

I'm sorry to say, but I am not skilled enough to draw a vehicle not only from those views, but from any view at all!

Chicken Plucker

Been working on new stuff all day, scrapping all the old SAS headgears for S10 for something more new and consistent. I'm also leaving a post of comparisons for the old textures, just for good ol' morale and progress.

British Army headgear comparison:

S.A.S. headgear comparison:

22nd S.A.S. Counter Terror Unit:

There's a planned feature for "Mementos" that regular soldiers will have on them that will go in the accessory slot.
There's so far 20 memento items I have, I will leave some notable ones here to show everyone what they would look like.

These random items will be found in regular soldier's accessory slot, they will all add -1% mental threshold because they are morale boosters, they are uncraftable for the player and are only available to the randomly spawned soldiers, I wanted to do this to add more depth to the pawns, so when you see one dead you can check out their inventory and see that they had a family photo, a journal, a letter or an MP3 player, which reminds you that these are men and women far away from their homes and they had their own interests and dreams, or something melodramatic like that.

Time for a goodnight's rest!

I also helped a newcomer "Fierydraken" with this new mod:

Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1342263292&searchtext=

It's just a small faction with some custom textures he made, they use vanilla stuff. I helped code and it's based on the comic "Gone with the blastwave". So far it's only available on steam, would be happy to hand over a download if anybody is interested, though the mod balancing isn't exactly finished yet, and I'm not the one in charge of maintaining it because I only helped get it released.

Anyway, take care all, till tommorrow's grind again!

SzQ

This "before>after" is amazing. No idea how you are doing that. How you are doing that?
Do you learned it by some tutorials?

Usually contemplating my personal spacetime reality at
stream

Chicken Plucker

Quote from: SzQ on March 26, 2018, 05:40:55 AM
This "before>after" is amazing. No idea how you are doing that. How you are doing that?
Do you learned it by some tutorials?

Hey SzQ, thank you!

I haven't learned from tutorials, when it comes to Rimworld modding, everything I have learned is from practice and from watching others.

My good friend Odstriman who did the German Imperial Army had these amazing WWI helmet textures for the Germans, and he added this shine effect by playing with a white brush with low opacity. From this I took my existing helmets, did them again from scratch, tried to be more accurate with helmet shapes and added the detailing I learned from him.

(Odstriman's Stahlhelm with gasmask, you could see the resemblance in shine effects with my latest MICH and AC100 helmets.)

I also went ahead and borrowed techniques from Zombieland author Pardeike, he would add .png images of dust, scratches or blood to show worn effects in the zombie clothing. He would reduce the opacity of these effects to make them blend in the clothing and seem to be a part of it.

So combined with the "shine" technique I got from my friend Odstriman, and Pardeike's dirty zombie outfits, I came up with the AC100 helmet showing worn effects:

Obviously the new S10 gasmask is from the 3D model of CSGO S10 gasmasks, I was just unhappy with trying to draw them, so I ended up using the technique from making my tank textures (ripping 3D models and their views) and I threw it onto my headgear that are painted with Photoshop's stroke effect. (plus the other added details)

(Stroke effect turned on and off, automatically adds black outlines, all you have to do is paint and add details.)

(Usually I paint over the shape of a cutout helmet, or .png helmet view so I can get the shape right, then add stroke)

I combine whatever I learn and the end product ends up looking like stylized chickens!

I'm gonna carry on with some art now, hopefully I don't fall asleep, not too much progress today, just a couple of new helmets and one redone uniform for the SAS. I have one more uniform and vest needing to be redone, then I can do the tanks and finally code the faction.

Added note:

Jecrell is coding a reinforcement feature for future and all existing faction mods!

This is the red phone, it will become your best friend, I might change it's texture.

It will allow communications with Factions without the need of researching to get to comms tables, it will be available to build from the start. It will allow reinforcements at the cost of silver, not -25 relations, and at +50 relations with a faction, reinforcements are free.

It will also allow to call for peace talks if the faction is hostile, so starting game could see you negotiating with the likes of Umbra Company or War Mongrels before they even start torching your colony.

Chicken Plucker

Progress update:

Typical British Army grunt inventory loadout:

- British Army MREs, enough for at least 42 hours of eating, even more if eaten sparingly
- IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit)
- Randomized British sweets, iced tea, energy drink or Medic Bag selection
- Random memento in accessory, gives morale boost and other effects, depending on item (e.g. playing cards give +25% social impact boost and -1% mental break threshold)

Note: Mementos do not get affected by dead man apparel effect, when a person dies with a memento, you can take it and equip it for yourself, despite being an accessory.

Did some testing, of course the typical British Army soldier is not strong enough to take out Spetsnaz or an Umbra Company operator, the budget cuts they get from the Queen result in stuff such as the MK7, incapable of stopping pistol rounds, and the magnificent L85A2 (SA80) rifle, which you will have trouble using if you are left handed, you have to learn how to become right handed. (That or try joining the SAS, they will torture you just so you could use the C8 instead)

News on the phone

Jecrell has been making great progress on the "red phone". So far he has the peace talks feature working, in where you are able to call a faction to trigger a peace talk event if they are hostile to you.

And voila, a peace talk event!

Extra note:
I'm just finalizing some British Army stuff, tomorrow I try to sort out the Royal Marines, and then finally the two branches of SAS. Active Duty and Counter Terrorism. The British Armed Forces are the biggest faction I've done yet, since they are in total 4 factions in one, I can't imagine when the US Armed Forces are next.

Also I can't wait to implement all of Jecrell's awesome features when he's all done!

EDIT:

Forgot to add:

Since I found the infantry too inferior against the likes of existing factions like War Mongrels and Umbra Company infantry, I ended up deciding to arm the higher ups of the British Army with existing Rimmu-Nation airstrikes.

Chicken Plucker

Leaving this post as an announcement, I'm gonna take a break with modding for now, I have my last month to finish university work.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and the thoughts, I'll see you later

Chicken Plucker

New faction(s) added:

Mod description:
The United Kingdom is at a national state of emergency, and the only hope of ever restoring the country's tea is by invading a brave new world.

Upon arriving at this Rim Planet, awaiting reinforcements from her ally nations, Her Majesty's Armed Forces are tasked with providing aid and weapons for counter-insurgency efforts, assisting local outlanders to neutralize any hostile faction that will carry out attacks against the British Armed Forces and it's allies.

God save the Queen.

New mod added:

Mod description:
Is your life so hardcore that you need to eat, sleep and peep looking tacticool, as if you are at war 24/7?!

WE GOT YOU!

This mod adds military themed furniture, from ammo can stools, ammo crate tables, footlockers and cot beds, you're gonna feel like you're deployed overseas
despite the fact that you have never seen a single moment of combat for your entire life!

Chicken Plucker

(WIP) Alpha's Death Row

This is a backstory promo video for the steam release of War Mongrels, it's unfinished, there will be one for Umbra Company as well, the US Armed Forces and British Armed Forces. I hope I can get them all finished, along with the uni project I still haven't done.

Hope to see you all there!

Note: Animation is done through Sourcefilmmaker 3D environments, the rest are photoshopped Rimworld assets and textures keyframe animated in After Effects with the 3D footage.

Chicken Plucker

Planned update for artillery and more security stuff for Rimmu-Nation (it wont look crusty, it's just the way it was exported), I gotta finish my university short film (which is pretty much the War Mongrels backstory, except with 3D models) before May 4. I'm gonna go and be away for a bit because I have approximately 2 weeks to sort my stuff out.

When I return, I hope Jec has made progress with the huge backlog of features that are pending (mission boards, reinforcements, tank sounds, tanks and fighting vehicles dropping units on death etc.) I'll finally get on with Diamond Dogs, X.O.F. the US Armed Forces and who knows, I already got permission from Project Fallout's "Ashborn" and Halo Weapons "O Negative" to do Halo and Fallout themed factions. Possibilities are endless (until I get a job and inevitably leave Rimworld modding, rip)

In the not-so-great words of the teuhminahtuh "I'll be back."

Madman666

Damn this one is a huge project. I assume player won't able to deploy tanks and the like, thats why you can call for reinforcements?

Chicken Plucker

Quote from: Madman666 on April 22, 2018, 03:20:34 PM
Damn this one is a huge project. I assume player won't able to deploy tanks and the like, thats why you can call for reinforcements?

I would have wanted tanks to be produce-able anyway, but there's no easy way to do it since I don't know anybody who has explored coding mechanoids to be used for the player yet, maybe in the future I could throw coffee at Jecrell when he is all done with everything else and see if he can do this

Madman666