[1.2] (WIP) Red Horse: Tacticool Expansion

Started by Chicken Plucker, March 17, 2018, 10:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Empire vs US Marines. Who will win?

The freakin' MARINE CORPS BABY OOH-RAH SEMPER-FI!
38 (15.2%)
Galactic Empire. It's treason, then.
43 (17.2%)
This is ridiculous, the Army would step in and run over everyone with their Camaros
3 (1.2%)
This is ridiculous, the Navy would step in and sing YMCA during the fight
5 (2%)
This is ridiculous, the Air Force would be in a 5 star hotel dropping MOABs
9 (3.6%)
This is ridiculous, the Space Force would send in Master Chief
34 (13.6%)
Russia.
118 (47.2%)

Total Members Voted: 250

nylem

Now RW is at 1.0 and stops breaking mods I'm back so don't worry CP, you now have 5 people instead of 4 obsessively checking your page for updates. Keep up the good work. I'd tell you that you're my favourite modder but I don't want it going to your head ;)

Smexy_Vampire

keep up the good work i am waiting for your mods so i can try a mgs theam play though :D

Chicken Plucker

Failed feature

*Cue "It's a Hard-Knock life" song*

So I was playing with the concept of drop pods wanting to solve yet another issue that hinders getting down to combat, and it was transport. I don't have C# help for a helicopter, I tried to make the drop pod work on it's own without breaking and being refuel-able on its own but I found it to be coded in C# and it was something I couldn't force. Albion would have helped me with this, but I haven't made the bloody animation I owe him so I'm on me own.

I thought just make a more effective drop pod, re-skin the thing and it's all sorted right?! Nope. Didn't happen sadly. All C#, still.

World Icon:

Icons seen when the stuff gets launched, one for the drop pod in single and for multiple launches.

Pod station, can be hauled. Costs more components, allows more fuel storage which means longer range of pod launching.

3D Drop Pod Texture courtesy of 3DHaupt from sketchfab
Idle version, when drop pod is inactive

Flight version, when drop pod is in flight (It's the ODST drop pods from Halo)

Had everything sorted boys, I was gonna push an update right now but it just couldn't work.

So here they are stationary, looks all neato burritor

Problem shows on launch, it turns into a vanilla drop pod texture both for world and for flight. The only way I could hook my own textures was to rebuild my own drop pod thingClass in C# which I don't know how to do. Yes, I looked at the Helicopter/Cargo pod mod and the self launching reusable drop pod mod, they both used C# and had their own assemblies to make their stuff work.

Another minor crap I couldn't fix, I couldnt seem to modify the carrying capacity in .xml. I tried to add mass by increasing the pod's mass and it's carrying capacity stat but both didn't do anything to change in-game.

Nothing but frustration and disappointment here, it's sad that the simplest things are complicated to do.

Here's what I have to deal with when features are suggested, I do try them out and when I put full effort, walls are in place to keep me out (Tynan pls) so it is what it is. I'm leaving this here as a record that I tried.

Quote from: Madman666 on December 10, 2018, 07:21:23 AM
Ok, orders to my people - you see a US guy - shoot on sight, harvest on downed, make hats on death. No one takes crap from me and lives to tell the tale, unless i sold that shit.

It sounds like what I want to happen for some people. They don't play fair, and I wanted there to be random airstrikes before their attacks since it's part of the US Military playbook, as seen during Vietnam where airstrikes occur right before an assault.

Just the post above though, all this C# barrier? It's ticking me off and it's just causing some negativity, all of the things I want to happen, even the simplest crap can't be done so I make no promises.

Quote from: nylem on December 10, 2018, 08:24:45 AM
Now RW is at 1.0 and stops breaking mods I'm back so don't worry CP, you now have 5 people instead of 4 obsessively checking your page for updates. Keep up the good work. I'd tell you that you're my favourite modder but I don't want it going to your head ;)

It hasn't gotten in to my head because there are things around that hammer me and remind me that I'm not this legendary mod maker, there's just cool things that piece together like, for example when Albion did the reinforcements and I found those metal gear sound effects each time QRF came, it's just never tiring to hear cause it's so freakin' cool.

Then there's so much things I cannot do like the simple drop pod above, these kinds of cancelled and failed features in their mountains, or amazing concepts that only stay as ideas because they can't be done are just downers.

Also thank you for reminding me about that post from several weeks ago, it's funny since I think my recent posts regarding the US Military has awakened all the Russians (as seen in the poll statistics) which means there is no longer just 5, but the entire population of Russia and some US Patriots warring in this thread, that is good news because now we have some company

Quote from: Smexy_Vampire on December 10, 2018, 10:39:58 AM
keep up the good work i am waiting for your mods so i can try a mgs theam play though :D

Yeah you reminded me, MSF is in the backlog. Just takes time to make a brand new onskin outfit, they were gonna use an olive drab flight suits and SPIE harness. Then just make that grey, couple of new helmets and bam, XOF uniform.

Anyways, I'm gonna go sleep. College day tommorrow, 12AM and nothing but failure. I can't say I'm having a good day, this drop pod was gonna be a thing to cheer me up and even here it just crashes before it even got to fly.

Take care all.

Madman666

Just be sure to add some kind of preventive measure for air-strikes, like SAM sites, that cancel it out. Cause i really don't want to have my expensive crap blown up and people killed, before i can even do anything about it. And just in case, no, keeping US happy with THAT kind of their rules doesn't count.

Chicken Plucker

I'm back, I did not expect the poll to be invaded by the Russian VDV but here we are!

Anyway this week's roadmap:
- Finish Sparkling Worlds trailer
- Finish Crye CAGE body armor and combat shirt template
- Finish Crye AirFrame helmet template
- Finish US Military Kit update and texture overhaul
- Finish Rimmu-Nation
- Attend Church
- Attend D&D session
- Don't get depressed, rip
- Don't lie down in bed all day

If all objectives are met this week, the US Military faction can be made but they're going to have to be skeleton-like with all the coding for fancy features missing.

Quote from: Madman666 on December 11, 2018, 04:35:19 AM
Just be sure to add some kind of preventive measure for air-strikes, like SAM sites, that cancel it out. Cause i really don't want to have my expensive crap blown up and people killed, before i can even do anything about it. And just in case, no, keeping US happy with THAT kind of their rules doesn't count.

Here's the idea and I want to stress this again, these features might not even make it if the drop pods can't be done.

There will be an incident letter that pops up:

"Incoming Airstrike"
QuoteAn anonymous US personnel has offered to waiver an airstrike that will take place in your colony. Due to your hostility towards the U.S. there is a pending airstrike in your home.

This person is asking for 10,000 silver to be sent to them, or else they will allow your colony to be bombarded.

You have 2 days to decide.

If the player accepts and they had a beacon to send 10,000 silver everyone carries on about their day and some corrupt officer is now richer than he was yesterday, while some less important personnel that wanted to see their fallen friends avenged are upset that politics is stopping them from doing their job.

If the US does raid you, they will have to do it without air support because of this.

If the player rejects then in 2 days time there will be an air bombardment somewhere in your colony, it may or may not kill someone and straight after a raid will trigger, with some M1A2 abrams, Bradley IFVs, and soldiers loaded with Rip It energy drinks.

All of this is supposed to be C# coded. I'd rather code that than figure out how to make a proper SAM because I have to keep things as least complicated as possible if I want them to even exist.

Note to self: May make the price random generated, something like 10,000-50,000. I do want there to be an element of extreme consequence of tackling a world superpower here, it's not supposed to be a fair fight

Quote from: The Viking Crusader on December 13, 2018, 10:34:40 PM
Semper Fi

Hi Viking! welcome to the forums, glad to see you spent your first post on this thread. Welcome  8)

Madman666

Luls. This is one feature i will disable 100%. I like the game to have real bad events, for which you can come up with a clever and reliable (and costly) counter, that disables or at least dramatically decreases the threat of it. This is why i utterly hate endgame crap like psychic drones for fricken -40 mood you can't do anything about. I also hate stuff like doomsday\triple launchers, cause all you can do to avoid them is either bait the shot with some animal which feels cheesy or try to shoot the guy before he does, which is entirely RNG reliant (suddenly your 14 shooting snipers all go blind and miss for an hour). And when he does shoot - good luck replacing 3-5 dudes and bazillion turrets. For that same reason i mostly hate anything "superweapony", cause it just takes too much time to build and train in this game, but so little to get it all rekt.

So the way i see this, you will either have to be a wuss and give up everything the superpower commands you to (screw that), or you are to abuse the crap out of black hat station to always have those 10-50k(lol, good luck handling the wealth spike) silver to pay off not getting randomly bombed (nothing like throwing money at your problem), potentially losing your people, which then will force to abuse contractors to get new people (good luck getting decent skills\traits etc).

I really hope this didn't come off as offensive, as i really like your stuff, CP, but this is just totally not my cup of tea. The way this goes, i ll either disable it in xml, or will avoid installing factions with "police" behaviour type and\or sudden "get rekt" abilities before their raids. A tad much imo.

dninemfive

Hey CP! I just wanted to let you know that SAM site code'd be pretty easy to do too, and it doesn't break the "America goody two shoes" theming you want. Basically, when an airstrike is triggered, you could iterate through the buildings you've constructed, and reduce or eliminate the damage based on the number of SAMs. If you wanted to be fancy, you could replace some of the incoming bombs with slag to represent planes being shot down.

By the way, you should be able to set pods' carrying capacity with the tag <massCapacity/> under "CompProperties_Transporter."

Chicken Plucker

Guys, US Government is the type of government that spends more on their military budget than public healthcare. They would fund things of interest, if it relates to perhaps profiting or gaining more resources and that's even more so when immortality or restoring limbs with serums are what's at stake.

Sometimes soldiers are given orders they don't necessarily agree with but have to follow anyway. I'm not trying to paint a heroic America here by any means (*cough*that'sreservedfortheBritish*cough*) so anybody who thinks that is wrong. I'm trying to be accurate, the US soldiers do not run the show, it's someone in the driver seat calling the shots, if you get in the way you will not only have the powers that be against you, but the soldiers too when you go and kill their friends. They won't be fighting for Uncle Sam, they'll be fighting for their battle buddy you turned into a sofa.

"Expend men not steel" is still a motto, soldiers within the US don't like leaving men behind and when there is a known faction or individual that have taken lives of their American soldiers, they go all out especially if they have the full address of that group.

It's not a fair fight. Our colonies in Rimworld are guerrilla/militia at best with not enough territory or even a regiment of soldiers.

Anyway, all of that aside. Nothing is final yet. There's a ton of ways to avoid an airstrike, there's also living within mountains, perhaps an additional option during the incident letter to ask your ally Russia to make sure the airstrike is diverted with no cost. I could think about that SAM thing as an additional thing since falling drone parts could be freakin' cool with custom artwork, but this whole airstrike idea is already a blur.

I private message Jecrell to patch the auger issue with Rim Magic in Discord and he doesn't even acknowledge it. Also got a freakin' fridge and radio problem in Red Horse that Jecrell made for me with existing issues that I can't do anything about either, and the worst part is I can't be angry at him cause he's got his own problems to deal with, and the issues I listed above are nothing but minor for both of us.

Guys, I'm stretched, I got no help here. If I make something very simple with lack of options, it's because I'm very limited by helping hands. I still owe Albion his animation, and he's done more than enough for me so I'm not even gonna count on him for anything until I give him what I owe.

nylem

Personally, I like the idea of the airstrike but to each their own, however, that's not why I commented. It bugs me when modders feel that they need to explain themselves to people. CP you don't owe us **** but you give your time and mods for free and myself and many others are grateful. If you genuinely want to explain yourself or explain why something is delayed or just rant that's cool don't but stress out over comments or anything else and feel like you have to justify it (I am not pointing the finger at anyone here just speaking in general). Stay sane CP.

Madman666

I entirely disagree with previous commentor's point about airstrikes (whats the fun of "suddenly screw you" type event? why even there are people that actually love butthurt? :P ), however i also agree completely with the second notion.

You don't really need to explain the everything behind a certain decision to us (that actually serves little purpose, as for example me knowing, why you want to add airstrikes, won't make me like it anyway), unless you really want to (ie for lore reasons?). And of course you re more than free to choose whatever direction\decision path you want for your mods, its how it should be, otherwise its no fun for the modder. Best thing about this game is its incredibly simple moddability, so people can potentially just disable part they are not fond of. Which creates a scenario, where everyone's happy: mod author done it how he likes, people who wanted that particular thing - have it, people who didn't - disabled it. Happy end.

Chicken Plucker

Progress Report:

Militaires Sans Frontières

You know what it is baybee, deflecting from the main progress of a mod to another one in order to keep things fresh, to surprise you boys and Ruskis, to keep my remaining sanity.

I decided to return to the MGS mod, finished all sneaking suit, MSF combat uniforms and their FPV (Fragmentation Protection Vest) along with a new hairstyle for Big Boss that will spawn especially for their commander units, and a headband with an eyepatch.

Regular MSF units, I could have gone with a black FPV variant and an ALICE harness variant but I thought nah, more work. It looks good anyway so whatever.

Then there's the freakin' sneaking suit which I just HAD to do because it shows up in Ground Zeroes, Big Boss hairstyle and other MGS related hairstyles will spawn for the Stealth unit, they will use Non-Lethal weapons only. (Negotiating with some non-lethal mod makers to help me with that)

Anyways, the sneaking suit is an onskin outfit without an armor vest, it will also be able to withstand temperatures like the Parka and heat temperatures like the duster can because "nano-machines, son" (or just my excuse to make sure the stealth unit look stealthy without freakin' parkas) It will also have basic protection, maybe nearing flak vest stats? Haven't decided yet. It's an onskin only not intended for body armors, but people can put body armors over this anyway. MSF uses it on it's own to keep things simple and light.

Only thing needs to be done is sub-commander uniform AKA "played us like a damn fiddle" uniform worn by Kazuhira Miller and their winter uniform for soldiers, the Parkas. I don't know what to do for Parkas since the MSF has never been set in a winter environment.

Here are their weapon selection, as you may notice theyre usually old fashioned weapons during the cold war era, with the esception of two exclusive MGS weapons, the M2000-NL (Non-lethal sniper rifle from Phantom Pain) and the WU S Pistol, grade 9. These will be sported by the stealth units and the commander units, they will hopefully take out hostiles without killing them, assuming it's a stealth unit only raid.

C-Rations! exclusive to the MSF, and some old fashioned looking first aid boxes. I might just cut out the First Aid Kit and just use the industrial medicine, the C-Rations are the main thing that's been in MGS games I want to be here.

This is not the Diamond Dogs and having the two co-exist without ruining lore is still possible, so there is no maxi-burgers, no Ocelot uniform or Miller's fancy X.O. uniform.

There were some MSF heavy unit uniforms like what most people used for the final boss fight in Peace Walker, but I didn't bother making it since it's not an often used outfit in cutscenes so I don't feel too bad about it not showing up. I just don't want to spend too much time trying to perfect this mod, I bloody like it as it is already since the MSF still feels like they haven't reached their final R&D researches yet, that they are still at the stage of developing their PMC.

Quote from: nylem on December 16, 2018, 07:03:24 AM
- Snip -

Stay sane CP.

Quote from: Madman666 on December 16, 2018, 06:23:00 PM
- Snip -

Happy end.

Here's the el good news to both sides. I've made up my mind and I have decided to keep it simple. There will be no policing behaviours and no airstrikes (sad as it is) I'll be happy enough with tanks existing again. I don't see Jecrell being able to do those things, and if he does when I get the funds, it may come with dozens of issues he may be unable to address. I'd rather we have a working mod with missing features than a mod with broken features that can't be fixed because nobody could.

Keep things simple.

Also I wasn't upset at all, I value opinions here before a judgement call, I do ramble on cause I can't get enough of listening to myself. Just kidding, I don't mind explaining design choices for people to understand why such and such are being done, I don't want misinterpretations that I just want US to be good guys that beat the crap out of you because I'm routing for them, it's just what they do. They use airstrikes on one sniper just cause that guy has killed like 10 people on his own.

Anyways! Though I've now just delayed US Military, the thing I said I was gonna do, I hope everyone is excited with the upcoming MSF faction from Metal Gear Solid instead.

They will have custom hairs, every male pawn in the soldier category will have a shaved head, stealth unit can have whatever hair they want while the females on the soldier category will have ponytails, just like strict military rules on hairstyles. Umbra Company and The Ghosts did not have this since they do whatever the fricc they want, which is why when MSF comes they're going to be the better faction (in my opinion) because hairstyles give you no tactical advantage whatsoever.

Madman666

Daarn, one more faction to fight and ally with. Noooice. Also - yeah, eventually having vehicles back would be most awesome.

Chicken Plucker

Gonna try and push for a Ludeon upload of the MSF faction tonight boys and gals, here is a preview I've done in parody of MGS:V Ground Zeroes cover art. I may release it on Steam when tanks return since MSF has tanks, or when I get confirmation from tranq dart modders that I can use their stuff for the stealth units.

I am fired up, I gotta go run outside now, been eating too much donuts.

Quote from: Madman666 on December 18, 2018, 12:50:29 AM
Daarn, one more faction to fight and ally with. Noooice. Also - yeah, eventually having vehicles back would be most awesome.

Yes! I will make the MSF 50 in relations at start, hopefully this will make it easy for them to be hire-able for the QRF option without being too friendly. MSF does not support any ideology or cause, they fight just because Big Boss has something nutty in his head and he wants perpetual war or whatever. Maybe that's why he's actually the bad guy of MGS this whole time.

A post by Hideo Kojima

Smexy_Vampire