[1.2] (WIP) Red Horse: Tacticool Expansion

Started by Chicken Plucker, March 17, 2018, 10:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Empire vs US Marines. Who will win?

The freakin' MARINE CORPS BABY OOH-RAH SEMPER-FI!
38 (15.2%)
Galactic Empire. It's treason, then.
43 (17.2%)
This is ridiculous, the Army would step in and run over everyone with their Camaros
3 (1.2%)
This is ridiculous, the Navy would step in and sing YMCA during the fight
5 (2%)
This is ridiculous, the Air Force would be in a 5 star hotel dropping MOABs
9 (3.6%)
This is ridiculous, the Space Force would send in Master Chief
34 (13.6%)
Russia.
118 (47.2%)

Total Members Voted: 250

Covo22

Quote from: sumghai on March 24, 2019, 03:44:38 AM
CE patching for Project Red Horse update, 24 March 2019

- RN Clothing: 100% done (not all items need to be patched)
- RN Weapons: ranged weapons 100% done, ballistic knife done, no patches for melee (since the actual weapons don't exist yet)
- RH Furniture: 100% done
- MSF, The Ghosts, Umbra Company: 0%, restarting from scratch*

*RaptorX and I discovered that weapons, apparel and other gear for those factions are duplicates of RN Weapons and RN Clothing, and so need to be patched independently in case a player only has those faction mods installed. Also, we found that all anesthetic/tranq weapons are fundamentally incompatible with CE - pawns attempting to fire non-lethal weapons end up freezing and spamming debug log errors, because CE expects pawns to fire CE weapons with CE ammo/projectiles

Thanks for the hard work, I'm looking for this all the time and make one for myself but it's too much to do for me, I'm waiting for the next notice

Chicken Plucker

Quote from: Canute on March 16, 2019, 05:41:15 AM
CP,
Cpt.Ohu just released this, i think this could be useful for your Project too.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=48258.0

Hello Canute, I've seen this. Unfortunately this means I have to redo the camos and manually do the camouflage for every type I make, I.E. MTP and MARPAT, I have to bloody draw each streak myself for everybody type. Not willing to do that. I appreciate the suggestion! I'll keep things simple on my side.

My main issue is not being able to include tanks, that's the one that's been bugging me so much.

Quote from: dninemfive on March 23, 2019, 09:03:18 PM
Hey CP! Just wanted to say that I'm available to work on any assembly code Jecrell doesn't do. Plus, I can do any tedious XML stuff (especially FactionDefs) you don't have time for. Keep up the great work!

Hey there dninem, good to see you again. In your own time, whenever you're free and I don't expect you to make promises or finish anything at all, I would still be happy for that FIB event to take place during black hat station money making. I'll then finish the SWAT gear for this one thing

- RN Weapons: ranged weapons 100% done, ballistic knife done, no patches for melee (since the actual weapons don't exist yet)

*RaptorX and I discovered that weapons, apparel and other gear for those factions are duplicates of RN Weapons and RN Clothing, and so need to be patched independently in case a player only has those faction mods installed. Also, we found that all anesthetic/tranq weapons are fundamentally incompatible with CE - pawns attempting to fire non-lethal weapons end up freezing and spamming debug log errors, because CE expects pawns to fire CE weapons with CE ammo/projectiles

Sorry to hear about your setbacks sumgai, all unpredictable on my side. I feel so bad you guys have been working on this and I've just been away everyday. I just do not have the same time I had on projects for RimWorld anymore, I'm hoping when I finish Phase 1 training I'll be able to have time for RimWorld again while being trained as an EMT during Phase 2 (when I bloody get in first)

Thank you for your commitment to this. It's actually been motivating me to make progresses for the other mods that have been nothing but heavy weight on whatever time I have left after college and work takes a huge chunk of them

Quote from: Covo22 on March 26, 2019, 09:42:35 AM
Thanks for the hard work, I'm looking for this all the time and make one for myself but it's too much to do for me, I'm waiting for the next notice

Hello Covo! I've read your PM, as you can see Sumgai and Raptor almost have everything sorted, they're really waiting on me. If you want you could get in touch with them, otherwise you don't have to make a CE patch for my stuff. Thank you very much for the offer.

Just this small amount of work guys, crye body armor for the fat and male done, need it for female and thin type. I think this is my last dance in terms of making armor, I say that then "Virtus" pops up in my head and I get a headdache. Requests, requests and requests but all I have is work, work, work. Working in RimWorld has not been benefiting me as much as job or college, honestly. I just couldn't invest a lot of time in this anymore, I'm not quitting yet but I think the more I go down the rabbit hole of pursuing a military career the more time will be gone from my hands.

Chicken Plucker

I'm back brethren. Crye body armors are done, just doing the Crye Airframe helmet and then I'm done. Just do other camo types for the uniforms and then bam, release day.

Crye Airframe

FAST

So the Airframe is like the FAST helmet, but it's not the FAST helmet. That's pretty much my summary. The one above is just an unfinished version for now, thankfully the other helmets I've done provide accessories easily so the helmet won't take too long to make.

Chicken's Combat Gear Package 2019
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_HWYU2XRk_HaHeTpkIR3hixMR0tqs7ct
(Says 2018 but the file within is updated, promise no backsies)

As promised to Sumgai here's the updated .rar file with the uniform and the body armor, sorry I took long..

Kept you waiting huh?

*wheeze* alright folks, I'll be here all night

Oh look I'm back again even though I just announced I was.

Crye Airframe helmet is done.

The download has been re-updated to include the helmet. Folks?

It's coming home.

Would like to clarify that the files released today are only art files intended to those who want them for their own mods. (Just please don't directly copy my stuff cause obviously they're reserved, but feel free to modify things for your own custom gear)

Here's our current roster of pawn types as of today (obviously some reposted images)

Last but not least, Army Rangers, new helmet, new UBACs baby. Up next are the Green Berets and the NAVY SEALs, otherwise we have US Airforce included too due to them switching to OCP, I only have to make their fancy FAST style helmets. Have to research into those.

Cheers all, I'm estimating 2 weeks or less.

PS: The Photoshop files for the clothing has been updated again to include the proper Infantry BDUs I failed to include before, also I included the new MICH helmet I made for rangers with the UCP goggle cover. I thought it was a nice nostalgic touch since UCP isn't in use anymore.

Chicken Plucker

MARSOC gear was done today. Just need Green Berets, NAVY SEALs and maybe the AFSOC if I care enough about those hotel warriors

(just kidding airforce, love you guys)

Lost my wallet in a train today. That sucks. At least MARSOC looks freakin' cool. Decided to keep the "Deal with it" shades since it was consistently in use since the A17 version of MARSOC guys. Plus it was on the US Military video, so.

It's comin' home, it's comin'

hauvega

Always great work CP.  Damn good work. 2 hooves up.

Work on mod
Break mod
Fix Mod
Break mod again

Chicken Plucker

AFSOC today but it ain't done. Doing an OCP camo variant of the Crye CAGE body armor, nothing fancy just changing the color of a few straps and the plate carrier. Won't even bother with the pouches to reduce work. The Green Berets may use the OCP version of the Crye CAGE.

AFSOC is using FAST helmet, couldn't find enough good photos of anything else.Their uniforms were switched to OCP just last year (2018) which makes things easier for me cause I didn't have to make their bloody blue tiger camo. Helmets aren't really too fancy and highly decorated besides the NVG, as seen in most photos I ran into.

No B18 version for Airforce so preview model is alone.

Quote from: hauvega on April 02, 2019, 05:00:56 PM
Always great work CP.  Damn good work. 2 hooves up.

Awh thanks hauvega, you get 4 chicken wings up from me  8)

kaptain_kavern

Aye Sargent Chicken  8)

That's a nice mod you have here :-)

Rocket_Raccoon

Looking very nice!
Only thing i liked more in b18 version is the color of marpat woodland, it looks for my taste a bit too green now but there is always someting :p
On a sidenote, i manually edited some values of your rimmu-nation mod and although it saves the changes it still does not take them over ingame.
Do I have to make a manual copy and use that after editing?

von_schtirlitz

Good stuff, Been watching progress on this for a while! CE already claims to support Rimmunation, did you guys push the patch for normal weapons yet? They don't seem to work yet in CE right now for some reason; the ammunition types exist, but the weapons don't seem to take any ammo.

sumghai

Many thanks for sharing the UBAC templates, CP. Looking forward to remixing some variants for personal use soon.

CE patching for Project Red Horse update, 4 April 2019

Things have gotten a bit more complicated with CE compatibility right now:
- The official GitHub repo that NoImageAvailable manages isn't really accepting any more compatibility patches or pull requests, other than critical bug fixes. NiA's interests and attention has shifted toward his own non-RW projects.
- The Steam version of CE managed by N7Huntsman is not quite the same as the official CE release by NiA, as it (sometimes) does include new compatibility patches that NiA has not accepted
- N7Huntsman has asked RaptorX and I to refactor our patches, because he determined they were inefficient and negatively impacting load times
- N7Huntsman has also suggested that the compatibility patches instead be packaged with the original RN mods themselves, so that users are not dependent on CE's slower update cycles
- N7Huntsman does agree that new ammo (rockets and missiles) added by RN should be centralized in the official CE; no word on whether NiA will accept even this ammo-only PR

As for what's happening on our end:
- I am currently refactoring the existing RN Weapons, RN Clothing and RH Furniture patches; this is a relatively fast process
- RaptorX is working on making the non-lethal MSF weapons CE-compatible
- MSF, The Ghosts, Umbra Company patches are going to be tricky, as many items and defNames are duplicates of those from RN Weapons; N7Huntsman has suggested a slightly more complicated patching strategy where faction weapons/apparel will defer to RN Weapons patches if the bigger weapons mod is installed, and otherwise patches itself if not
- My reassurance to Chicken Plucker is simple: Don't panic, we'll let you know when we're ready to give you our patches

Chicken Plucker

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on April 03, 2019, 04:25:44 PM
Aye Sargent Chicken  8)

That's a nice mod you have here :-)

Thanks Kap, probably only gonna make it to corporal so I'm not sergeant for now  8)

Quote from: Rocket_Raccoon on April 03, 2019, 04:30:02 PM
Looking very nice!
Only thing i liked more in b18 version is the color of marpat woodland, it looks for my taste a bit too green now but there is always someting :p
On a sidenote, i manually edited some values of your rimmu-nation mod and although it saves the changes it still does not take them over ingame.
Do I have to make a manual copy and use that after editing?

Hey Rocket! Well, I know what you mean with the forest Marpat, I think it's cause it's zoomed in more. Redoing it meant more work so I was gonna leave it for now

As for coding, everytime you make changes in a mod's code you have to close and re-open the game to see changes, the mod isn't read-only so it should let you change stuff

Quote from: sumghai on April 03, 2019, 06:42:56 PM
*snip*

- My reassurance to Chicken Plucker is simple: Don't panic, we'll let you know when we're ready to give you our patches

Well, the extra weapons that weren't included in Rimmu-Nation, I could put that in the weapons mod to avoid pain for you guys

As for the patch, instead of going to NIA, I could include the patch for Rimmu-Nation itself. Will this make things way easier for you guys? Lemme know

sumghai

Quote from: Chicken Plucker on April 04, 2019, 02:13:06 AMAs for the patch, instead of going to NIA, I could include the patch for Rimmu-Nation itself. Will this make things way easier for you guys? Lemme know

Yeah, including the patches into the RN mods themselves would be ideal - if you add/change weapons or apparel, RaptorX and I will be able to patch them on short notice.

I've just finished optimizing and testing the updated patches for RN Weapons*, RN Clothing and RH Furniture - no problems I'm aware of. I'm going to have a crack the the faction mods soon.

*NiA will still need to accept a PR for the new rocket and missile ammo definitions; on the other hand, N7Huntsman might be quicker to add the new ammo to his own fork of CE on Steam Workshop

Rocket_Raccoon

Worked fine, game just needed a full restart. Giggled a bit while reading your notes regarding backpack modifications :D

In the attached picture you can see the wonderfull mixture of a viking wearing your dpm fatigues with my own russian army ushanka  ;D

[attachment deleted due to age]

Chicken Plucker

Made a preview image, think I'm ready to start coding.

AFSOC, Green Berets and SEALs still not done but I got so hyped I wanted to start coding already. Still deciding if the faction will be under one faction or separate.

E.G.

If factions aren't separate:
Pawn names will be - [Soldier] of [The U.S. Military] or [Marine] of [The U.S. Military]

If factions are separate
Pawn names will be - [Soldier] of [The U.S. Army] or [Marine] of [The U.S. Marine Corps]

If "U.S. Military" is unified as all branches
Pros
- Easier to co-ordinate joint raids or operations and caravans
- Less trouble with alliance coding if they are attacked as a nation/alliance
- Less impact on game start-up and overall memory performance due to only one faction being booted

Cons
- Branches aren't separate with their own logos, not as accurate or realistic
- Branches aren't named separately, pawntype naming is less cooler
- Marines may steal the U.S. Army gear because they get more budget
- Navy may start harassing all the other servicemen

Any opinions on this? lemme know guys

Also pitched these for faction rules:
- Body type restrictions for factions, I.e male, female and hulk only body types for pawntypes spawn
- faction alliance and enemy system: factions are patched to be allies with certain faction mods when enabled, when you anger them as the player the alliance turn hostile against you and vice versa when they become friendly.
- faction enemy system (connected to one above) some factions that are neutral to the player may randomly wage war against each other without being hostile to player unless provoked

Offered that commission to Jecrell, hasn't replied yet. (may never will rip)

There's no more tanks or vehicles so I want at least realism in terms of unit spawns or alliances. NATO would exist if the British are released, along with Ghosts being a part of the US Military. I'd patch accordingly IF the features even get greenlit

Quote from: Rocket_Raccoon on April 04, 2019, 12:45:06 PM
Worked fine, game just needed a full restart. Giggled a bit while reading your notes regarding backpack modifications :D

In the attached picture you can see the wonderfull mixture of a viking wearing your dpm fatigues with my own russian army ushanka  ;D

He-ey! looks good. I always like to see screenshots of people with muh tacticool mods. Happy you got it working.

Those notes were for madman because he wanted to buff the backpack carrying capacity, but it's also for anyone who dares to destroy the balance of things in this universe (not like I balance anything anyway so fair one)

Quote from: sumghai on April 04, 2019, 02:23:55 AM

Yeah, including the patches into the RN mods themselves would be ideal - if you add/change weapons or apparel, RaptorX and I will be able to patch them on short notice.

I've just finished optimizing and testing the updated patches for RN Weapons*, RN Clothing and RH Furniture - no problems I'm aware of. I'm going to have a crack the the faction mods soon.

*NiA will still need to accept a PR for the new rocket and missile ammo definitions; on the other hand, N7Huntsman might be quicker to add the new ammo to his own fork of CE on Steam Workshop

That's good news

As for the new ammo types, I'd take that in if it didn't break vanilla. Can't we make a standalone patch enabled on top of this to solve that? It would include the ammo and everything

dninemfive

I'd make them one faction, especially if you want them to have the same opinion of the player's faction. The faction screen gets cluttered very easily, and I don't think there's much value giving each branch its own base.

As for the special faction rules, I've been blocking out a mod which gives you more power over PawnKinds, faction relationships, and the like. It's still in early stages but you won't necessarily need a Jecrell commission to do what you want.

I'm making a lot of progress on the Black Hat raids, by the way. I should be able to finish it quickly, I just need to find a block of time to do it in.