[1.2] (WIP) Red Horse: Tacticool Expansion

Started by Chicken Plucker, March 17, 2018, 10:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Empire vs US Marines. Who will win?

The freakin' MARINE CORPS BABY OOH-RAH SEMPER-FI!
38 (15.2%)
Galactic Empire. It's treason, then.
43 (17.2%)
This is ridiculous, the Army would step in and run over everyone with their Camaros
3 (1.2%)
This is ridiculous, the Navy would step in and sing YMCA during the fight
5 (2%)
This is ridiculous, the Air Force would be in a 5 star hotel dropping MOABs
9 (3.6%)
This is ridiculous, the Space Force would send in Master Chief
34 (13.6%)
Russia.
118 (47.2%)

Total Members Voted: 250

Chicken Plucker

What's this?! A forum thread overwhelmingly underpopulated by American-made armored fighting vehicles?

My briefcase full of Abrams ought to take care of that!

M1A2 Abrams

Oi oi, I just had a talk with Jdalt40 about updating No Rogue Mechanoids since spud abandoned it. He may help me with that!

Then Jec also gave a greenlight on the mod factionsy stuff, so that may be a go as well.

Good news all around for the mods so far. Tanks are comin' home in the old B18 style, cannot promise craftable tanks unfortunately, but I bloody missed the big chunks of metal anyway!

Quote from: dninemfive on April 04, 2019, 07:00:38 PM
I'd make them one faction, especially if you want them to have the same opinion of the player's faction. The faction screen gets cluttered very easily, and I don't think there's much value giving each branch its own base.

As for the special faction rules, I've been blocking out a mod which gives you more power over PawnKinds, faction relationships, and the like. It's still in early stages but you won't necessarily need a Jecrell commission to do what you want.

I'm making a lot of progress on the Black Hat raids, by the way. I should be able to finish it quickly, I just need to find a block of time to do it in.

Thank you dninem! I didn't know you decided to carry on working with them, everything is coming together nicely, hope a release comes by soon!

M2 Bradley

HMMWV

BAE Caiman

Chicken Plucker

New preview made

Decided to have the Marine Corps use Forest MARPAT instead of Desert as a standard due to Rimworld's environments usually being forest-like. I have no control over their ability to change camos unfortunately.

The faction uniform add-on mod Canute recommended is not compatible with my current textures, using that would make me do an overhaul and handcraft each camo along with making maps for the outfits.

Anyways good news. Jec has been hired for the commission.

Quote"Contractors Hired"

"With the arrival of armed forces, governments have scattered to purchase contracts from Private Military Companies to aid them in combat. These paramilitary groups are now allied with their employers and will stay neutral to those not involved in their conflict."

So here's the idea. When the US Military mod is enabled, they will purchase Umbra Company and place them under contract. Umbra Company is now allies with the US Government and will be neutral to you and other factions unless provoked.

Upon being provoked, if the PMC becomes hostile to you, their ally will also go down in relations and you as a colony will have a very bad time.

I plan on working on the British Military next and Task Force 141 also.

These factions will form an alliance when the US Mod is enabled:
- US Military (NATO)
- British Military (NATO)
- Task Force 141
- The Ghosts
- Umbra Company

MSF will stay neutral, as they are in-game with no real ideologies. When and if other factions arrive.. *cough* Russia *cough* they will buy War Mongrels and will form an alliance with countries such as China (if the faction is made).

This alliance system will exist in-game for these factions and will be joint in hostility towards whatever messes with them.

That's all I'm willing to share for now in terms of plans folks, you can imagine that when all of this is ready.. It's gonna be mayhem.

Chicken Plucker

Special Forces done, went far and wide for photos. Not a lot of Green Beret photos. Judging by the nature of their job I'm not surprised.

Found this "snake skin" camo style of FAST helmets, saw most of the time in pictures they had no NVGs on so I went "awh what the hell, Green Berets don't need NVGs."

Crye CAGE body armors with OCPs are done, did end up coloring the pouches since leaving them the exact same color as the tan variant felt too lazy.

All that's left is the Navy SEALs.

I'm also planning on Delta Force, they will be a part of the CIA as a hidden faction. The idea is if the player manages to wipe out the US faction and any of it's allies, the player will receive raids from an unseen faction that sends Delta Force units on their colony. Planning on dressing them up all black like for sneaky beakiness.

See you folks, got work tommorrow, happy with the massive amounts of progress today.

Tank coding has been updated 100% thanks to Albion and Jdalt40 for sorting that out. When Jec comes with his alliance system and fitness standard system for the faction, it's all gonna come home and feel nice and realistic (to an extent)

Right, off to bed. Hopefully I'm not late tommorrow

Chicken Plucker

Got back from work, super weary. Spoke to Ods about S.A.D. and just threw together some stuff from other mods i.e. MSF's combats and made it black, along with the Crye Airframe getting some repaint.

He likes it very much, but I don't bloody know if it's worth the unit/uniform. These guys will be the ones knocking on your door for the black hat station raids.

No warrants ladies and gents, just suppressed weapons.

Please give me some opinion on the SAD if you guys think it looks good, I'm still unsure if it should be a real thing so as of now the uniform isn't even finished. Gonna sleep now, see you all tommorrow!

Chicken Plucker

Setback in progress. Redoing some uniforms that bothered me.

First is forest MARPAT. 1.0 US Military will be the definitive and hopefully last version ever for this mod so I want everything to be perfect. The MARPAT does look awfully non-MARPAT like because it's too zoomed in. In fact it looks awfully close to my original MARPAT when the Marine Corps Kit was first released (think the original files are long lost by now) so I went to redo it.

Before

After

Miles better I assume you'd all agree? Anyway this will take a bit of time. There's also the US Army which needs flag patch added to their uniform, Marines don't need this since they are seen without flag patches on their BDUs on photos. If you're a Marine and you know how this works please speak up so I don't make mistakes

Anyways!

Did some testing:

Tested a look for CAF as I did with SAD yesterday. CAF (Canadian Armed Forces) will become a faction allied with US and UK. The uniform above will not be used but if anyone wanted to see it, that's the rough look.

Body armor will be changed to look closer to the old PASGT body armor, which the FPV looks more like. Helmet isn't MICH, it's CG364 but is often times mistaken for MICH 2000 due to it's very similar shape. Less work for me eh? Should be quick to make the faction when America sets foot in Rimworld to spread freedom and tobacco chew spits all over the place.

What prompted me to redo the uniforms is the AOR2 upon getting started with the seals, the AOR2 looked close to MARPAT and the current v1 Forest MARPATs just didn't look good enough for me.

College tommorrow, back to busy. See you guys then with more updates.

12:41AM. It's late and I may regret this tommorrow, but I finished all the Forest MARPAT redo.

Also made this in excitement to dninemfive's Black Hat Station feature (if it comes)

Cheers all, goodnight!

dninemfive

If it's the SAD doing the raiding, I'll cut the flavor event (namely investigators showing up before a raid for low-level offenses) from when it was supposed to be the FIB doing it. That means I'll almost certainly be done this week; I have a pretty much working prototype right now but it needs to be finished and properly tested.

Chicken Plucker

Quote from: dninemfive on April 09, 2019, 02:18:06 AM
If it's the SAD doing the raiding, I'll cut the flavor event (namely investigators showing up before a raid for low-level offenses) from when it was supposed to be the FIB doing it. That means I'll almost certainly be done this week; I have a pretty much working prototype right now but it needs to be finished and properly tested.

Oh my I just thought about the FBI. Sorry for not clearing this up to simplify the feature! There's no more complicated arrest stuff

Is it possible to make this faction non-hostile with the other factions in-map besides pirates and etc? So they'll behave like civil outlanders to everyone but the player upon using black hat.

Then there's also a custom sound effect for the raid letter, gonna make it go *THOK THOK THOK* "FBI OPEN UP"

Thank you dnem, hope I'm not asking for too much since you're already offering your time for free, please lemme know if that's workable

Rocket_Raccoon

New Marpat looks fantastic, also the cadpat camo!
Great progress you are making, very excited for it :3

Chicken Plucker

Here it is folks. The long awaited Navy SEALs update.

We're switching to AOR2 and AOR1 will be unavailable for the time being to save time. The reason being AOR1 and Desert MARPAT are exclusively Desert and ARID type of Maps which Rimworld doesn't really have a lot of as much as it does Woodland, Swamps and Jungle.

Hard to see from all the attachments and crap on top of this FAST helmet, but it's a modified version. The normal FAST has better cover on the upper head but this one is a PJ FAST helmet which I read about the SEALs using, some kind of super lightweight version with a more open space for the ear part and more holes on top (like bicycles or BUMP helmets) so that the SEAL won't feel too overheated because it's spent too much time out of the water away from all the fish.

Anyways, all I did was delete parts of the original FAST texture, which in real life is all they pretty much do. Reduce the parts of the FAST to make it lighter than it already is.

Instead of leaving it to the normal Tan Crye CAGE I made an AOR2 version which looks so freakin' cool. I don't regret the decision. The extra time is worth it.

Just a comparison of AOR2 with it's very similar lookin' brother that teachers had to warn about sniffing glue, Woodland MARPAT. Thought they looked awfully too close but upon closer inspection they could be distinguishable. I guess it's a matter of seeing the people wearing them from far away while they're shooting at you.

Navy SEALs aren't 100% done.
- Uniforms are finished for all body types
- Helmets are finished
- Body armors are unfinished

That's about it for today's progress. Tommorrow is Wednesday which means getting trashed. I'll see you all then, take care!

Quote from: Rocket_Raccoon on April 09, 2019, 05:07:05 AM
New Marpat looks fantastic, also the cadpat camo!
Great progress you are making, very excited for it :3

Thanks Rocket! Me too, can't wait to release the faction mod. Even if Jec isn't finished I'm planning on a BETA version.

What I'm waiting for from Jecrell:
- Restricted body types to simulate military fitness standards
- Alliance system with other factions in the map
- And a secret.. More info on that in the future

Goodnight all, tired from today. Made time for textures and it was worth it

dninemfive

QuoteIs it possible to make this faction non-hostile with the other factions in-map besides pirates and etc? So they'll behave like civil outlanders to everyone but the player upon using black hat.

Yeah, I'm making them a "hidden" faction, like the Mechanoids. I feel like that represents the CIA really well, since it doesn't make sense for them to trade with people or for you to just call them up on the comms.

Chicken Plucker

Quote from: dninemfive on April 09, 2019, 11:11:08 PM
QuoteIs it possible to make this faction non-hostile with the other factions in-map besides pirates and etc? So they'll behave like civil outlanders to everyone but the player upon using black hat.

Yeah, I'm making them a "hidden" faction, like the Mechanoids. I feel like that represents the CIA really well, since it doesn't make sense for them to trade with people or for you to just call them up on the comms.

I get that and they're still supposed to be hidden, my issue is that the US Military will be called using the reinforcements system of Red Horse Furniture, then they're gonna shoot down their own guys.

I wanted it to be a player-only problem since they weren't gonna fight anyone else

dninemfive

I'll have to see what Jecrell does with the whole alliance system, but I'm fairly sure I can prevent them from attacking US forces if they end up on the same map. His implementation should even support hidden factions being allied with normal ones; vanilla code doesn't seem to prevent hidden factions from having a relationship with normal ones, it only prevents their relationship from changing.

edit: Currently, my code is set to make the SAD hostile when they send a raid but are non-hostile (rather than cancelling the raid, which would be a bit OP), so I might need to specifically handle the case where you're friendly with the US alliance but they're called in, depending on whether the alliance system cares about one faction being hostile to the player and another one being friendly. The base game supports two factions being friendly to each other but having different relations with the player afaik.

Chicken Plucker

Quote from: dninemfive on April 10, 2019, 07:57:30 PM
The base game supports two factions being friendly to each other but having different relations with the player afaik.

Fair one, that's right. I cancelled the complicated extra stuff with Jec since you mentioned they become hostile when the raid starts.

Jec has been quiet, either he's busy or he's sick of my crap cause I keep suggestin new features (like what I've done with dinem) so we'll see what's up.

Things are kept simple right now, I prefer having good communication like this cause sometimes people have better and more simple methods, haven't got a word from Jec yet so I'm just gonna wait. I'm guessing he's got a few issues outside of modding so I won't bother him too much.

Faction still waiting the AOR2 crye, got a busy week ahead but well push on and I'm gonna try get a beta faction mod out by next week Tuesday for the US Military

AOR2 crye is done. That's 3 hours less of sleep for me but one thing off the list done. Cheers all, signing out for today.

Chicken Plucker

Made a brand spankin' new preview featuring the Army bois and the Bradley IFV. Mod is in the coding phase with 0% coding done.

What's finished?
- Important clothing textures
- Vehicle textures
- Faction symbol texture
- No rogue mechanoids .dll
- Deathspawning .dll
- Weapon coding and textures (thanks to Rimmu-Nation)

What isn't finished?
- Alliance system
- Alloance benefits system
- Body restriction system
- War system
- .xml coding
- Animated trailer
- Ceremonial and other apparel textures unmade
- Allies such as the British

Long list mein friends. I'm at work right now up to Monday so I can't expect to get much done. My head is banging due to how early I gotta wake up.

Edit: final note. I decided not to add flag patches for the BDUs. It's a weird thing I haven't done since B18, I do have them for crye but I wanted the patches empty in case people just wanted to make their own faction and not being associated with US. I'm planning on doing the same for Brits.

As long as the flag is in their armor or helmet I'm fine. Hope it bothers nobody.

I'll see you all soon for some explosions and freakin' freedum.

Rocket_Raccoon

Good idea with not adding flag patches to uniforms. In b18 I used your marpat uniform as a stand in uniform for my finnish colony.