[1.2] (WIP) Red Horse: Tacticool Expansion

Started by Chicken Plucker, March 17, 2018, 10:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Empire vs US Marines. Who will win?

The freakin' MARINE CORPS BABY OOH-RAH SEMPER-FI!
38 (15.2%)
Galactic Empire. It's treason, then.
43 (17.2%)
This is ridiculous, the Army would step in and run over everyone with their Camaros
3 (1.2%)
This is ridiculous, the Navy would step in and sing YMCA during the fight
5 (2%)
This is ridiculous, the Air Force would be in a 5 star hotel dropping MOABs
9 (3.6%)
This is ridiculous, the Space Force would send in Master Chief
34 (13.6%)
Russia.
118 (47.2%)

Total Members Voted: 250

Chicken Plucker

Hello all. Just posting an announcement regarding the current halt in Red Horse modding.

So a few weeks back I get the news that the cheap data recovery dudes told me they can't handle the damage. They then referred me to Curry's PC World which charges around 500GBP to get all my data back from this physical damage I've caused, along with the price of having to buy a new HDD that is required to get all 2TB worth of data back.

All the work I've done is pretty much at ransom, morale is low for me with modding and I'm inches from calling it quits and just flip the table and never return. Application with the Army is also slow so all I'm doing here is waiting and waiting just like all of you, except I'm not waiting for mod updates, I'm waiting for life to get a bloody move on from where it is now.

I've been tempted to open up fundraising but I don't know what I'm gonna say. "Hey all, please pay for my duck up, only 500 quid innit, go on lets have it then!" But as you can see, I'm not anticipating much support for it and I don't feel right about it either since I'm going back on me bloody word about doing this modding for a hobby.

I'm assuming I have to wait 4-6 weeks worth of pay checks to get this repaired. I'm thinking I need a new hardware update anyway but since I'm gonna get shifted put my home when the Army takes me in, I think that's not worth it.

As for what's in that hard drive? Here it is:
- Saved animations for Red Horse trailers including the MSF trailer and John Wick animated trailer files
- Tons of preview templates
- Hundreds of artwork templates I didn't make available to public due to them being exclusive to mods
- US Military Kit update (this one is what's worth 500GBP to me since I don't have the time to redo them anymore, along with replicating the quality the textures have come out as)
- Elite Crew and LMM updates
- Other important-ish art crap such as sound libraries, voice over for trailers from VOs and chicken pictures

Sorry that this post is all about lifey stuff and not mod updates. I'll throw in some long awaited replies to some questions.

Quote from: Austupaio on May 19, 2019, 06:11:57 AM
Just started using this mod for the first time about a week ago and you've done a crazy amount of updating even in that time span, nice work. The whole mod project is a little difficult to decipher, it took me a while to decide which folders I wanted to download off Google Drive, but the content is great and fills the niche between the old west Rimworld and the jump to sci-fi very well.

I like the criminal organizations you're adding now, though I'm cautious to add them to my save game with all your other content (will it all play nice or require a new game?), I think it's a good contrast as MSF, TF141 and Umbra Company do blend together a bit. Especially since in my current game, I used the MSF start scenario and immediately allied with 141 and Umbra.

Hello, thank you! This was always my idea, to make several factions with different backgrounds for players to pick and choose with. Unfortunately with the recent setbacks Im just down about modding in general at the moment.

Quote from: Ink. on May 20, 2019, 02:31:18 AM
Hey CP, quick question because I've found what appears to be a bug but I can't be certain if it what produces it comes from one of your mods or CE itself. Anyway, the question being: does Rimmu-nation Clothing and/or weapons introduce a ballistic shield or is that a CE thing?

Because if it is, I'm not sure if you know or not but I've discovered recently that when you give your colonists a bionic arm (whether it be vanilla or EPOE), they no longer can wear ballistic shields as it says they're missing a required body part. I'm not sure if ballistic shields come from you or CE, so I figure I'd mention here before CE.

Hello! As rawrfisher said in much more timely fashion, that's a CE feature. I wanted to put in ballistic shields before but due to the long list of possible issues like this, I've put it away to focus on other features I wanted made

Quote from: exegert on May 20, 2019, 07:43:33 AM
Thanks for your great mods. Medusa looks really interesting. Any ETA?

MEDUSA was just a concept, I was gonna tell you that the ETA was a long time from then but due to the recent setbacks it's even further away now, to possibly never happening.

Quote from: recruit46 on May 25, 2019, 04:18:44 AM
Quick question - is there any equipment, suited for winter environments, in plans someday?
Quote from: rawrfisher on May 25, 2019, 09:31:11 AM
How about extreme environments in general

Not blatantly snow camo. I have a problem in where I cannot control what NPCs wear during winter even if I don't rage my outfits for them, and I don't want the NPCs rucking up in forests wearing all white

So right now, parkas and smocks are for winter. They have parka stats, they just don't have the camo that fits the environment if it's snowy.

I was in progress of making Elite Crew Dusters before the computer died, but even then in Rimmu-Nation clothing the trench coats have the same duster stats for desert conditions

Quote from: rsprated0202 on May 26, 2019, 07:34:16 AM
Hi there :) I replied a few months or last year before, and again, thanks for making these great mods. I'm really looking forward with any future updates that comes from you. I really appreciate that you've added more fun throughout my game experience in Rimworld.

To share an awkward scene from me, I manually installed all Ur mods recently and didn't quite read through your update notes, and funny thing is that I realize some of the weapons aren't craft-able from the bench which in before was craft-able, so I delete all the mods and configs, and reordered my mods lists which took quite a lot of time and nothing helped and was pretty pissed when I thought that it is one of the mods that is incompatible until I read your update notes. Hahaha

I want to provide a theme from a movie called Kingsman and I wonder if you're interested in tuxedo agents like them or the western cowboys like the Statesman. It is just an idea sharing, because I don't really know how to code or to draw the arts of it, and furthermore, there's not much of weapons that is specifically mentioned, but only a few equipment that have special designs from common accessories. (BTW, John Wick: Parabellum kickass, I'm really grateful that I'm able to recreate the character in Rimworld with your mods)

Again, thanks for making such great mods and wish you great luck with all your doings.

Hello, thank you! Apologies for my long delay in replies. I was going to make generic suits for any spy or agent like use but as you can see from recent events, everything is on hold until I get a small loan of a million dollars.

I didn't plan on a faction, though there has been two suggestions regarding a "professional" themed enemy that wore suits. Maybe I'll do that someday based on the CSGO professionals or payday 2 robbers with my own twist to it if I ever get the HDD fixed and find the time to get things done.

I wanna thank Canute and Madman for their support all this time, I'd say it's been like what? A whole year or two now of Project Red Horse and seeing their handsome faces around.

Also and especially Sumgai and RaptorX for the CE support, bug reports I don't know the bloody solution to. I will return someday with hopefully good news. For now the project is on hold until the HDD files are recovered containing the US military kit.

As fate will have it, Jec finished his commission last week for the WWIII mod.

I kept it as a quiet surprise but basically, I had the US faction textures ready, Ods had the Russian Federation uniforms all covered and finished + all the faction's weapons were done in Rimmu-Nation.

Jec had C# coding where if the player had US and Russian faction mods enabled, the two would randomly declare war after certain amount of time.

US and Russia would also randomly hire a Red Horse PMC faction which would then be a part of their respective alliance.

US would have been naturally allied with:
The Ghosts
Task Force 141
The British Armed Forces

And the other PMC crews such as Umbra Company, War Mongrels and MSF neutral. They would then switch sides overtime.

It was gonna be a BIG surprise project and it was gonna be heckling sweet, but the best laid plans of mice and men often goes awry when Chicken Plucker drops his flippin' laptop.

I'll see you all, take care.

Canute

CP,
Project Red Horse is your baby, and i think this baby realy was grow very fat.
Not even about the whole size, i think it even ate alot of your (free) time too.

Maybe you should take these incident to pause for awhile to do something else. Play some other games or use your old harddisk as targetdummy at the shooting range or even use the plate itself as throwing disk (from my own expierence they are excellent ones!!).
Rimworld don't run away so fast, sure you Red Horse fan's will maybe disappointed, but maybe you got better inspirations and energy to made it even better (and maybe jecrell improved jecstools about vehicles).

Rocket_Raccoon

That sure  is a lot of text  ;D
Well, sad to hear the possibility of you taking a break(albeit not for the first time that is), but life goes before mods/games  :)
As a side question, russian military kit is basically ready/all finished by ods?
So still hope for that to be released soon(well, atleast sooner than the stuff on your crashed hdd that is)
Greetings

sumghai

Heyo CP, I want to reiterate that I'm especially grateful for all the work you've put into your mods, and that it's been a continued pleasure working with you making CE compatibility patches for them.

I know how it feels to not only lose access to your only working personal computer, but also (nearly) lose all of the data on it - since a close call over eight years ago, I now religiously back up all my data to three different locations - two identical external hard drives and a US$1.99 (~£1.60) monthly subscription to an expanded 100GB Google Drive online backup. It was a very costly investment as I was also a student at the time, but data recovery is much more expensive with no 100% guarantee of success.

Anyway, take your time to save up as much money as you need for the data recovery, see if you can get a loan from friends or family, and most importantly - look after yourself.

Should you eventually feel completely discouraged from RimWorld mod development, I'm sure many of us users would be happy to work together to take over development and maintenance of your mods - just tell us to jump and we'll ask "How high, sir?"

QuoteASIDE: Combat Extended Fasttrack project

As previously mentioned, I am working RaptorX and AthenaSulisMinerva on forking Combat Extended to better support all Rimmu-Nation mods, as well as more mods in general.

The rationale behind this is that NoImageAvailable will only be doing occassional bugfix releases of the original CE mod, since he is now focusing on his own non-RimWorld game projects. This also means he is not accepting pull requests to add compatibility for other mods, unlike in the past.

Therefore, we are calling our fork the Combat Extended: Fastttrack Edition, with the intention of more frequent updates to support more new third-party weapons and apparel mods. We will keep our underlying codebase updated with the original CE GitHub repository, as that is allowed by CE's original licence, but we will also add/maintain new ammo and projectiles as needed.

Users wanting to run Rimmu-Nation mods with CE right now should completely delete their existing CE mod, and replace it with the Athena fork:

https://github.com/AthenaSulisMinerva/CombatExtended/archive/master.zip

In the future, we will update the release description and version number to better distinguish it from the original CE. More details to follow.

nylem

Really sorry to hear about your woes CP. I was really looking forward to the Medusa's. It's understandable how this has made you feel so down with modding and everything in general. Take a break, look forward and focus on the Army for now. Have a good un.

Retry_02Hide

CP, I think it is ok to open a donation site to let the people who want to give you support have a way to help you. Some modder or artist do that as well. They mostly share their works because that's their hobby, but some little supports would surely become motivation to keep them making great stuffs. Not to mention that your awesome mods greatly change players' experience of rimworld.
Also, big thumbs up to those people like sumghai make these awesome mods work with CE, thanks to all your efforts.
(I want Umbra with vehicles and the M1of US, so eager to start a modern warfare in rimworld that I can have tank fight!!)

sumghai

Quick update:

The WIP version of Combat Extended FastTrack Edition now supports ALL* Rimmu-Nation and Red Horse Faction mods!

• [RH] Faction: Elite Crew
  • [RH] Faction: Last Man Mercs (tanks also do CE damage!)
  • [RH] Faction: Militaires Sans Frontieres (now with working CE implementation of tranquilizer ammo! a bit OP though)
  • [RH] Faction: Task Force 141
  • [RH] Faction: The Ghosts
  • [RH] Faction: Umbra Company
  • Red Horse Furniture
  • Rimmu-Nation - Clothing
  • Rimmu-Nation - Weapons

Athena is still putting the finishing touches before an official release, but if you want to run a CE game right now, delete your existing copy of the original CE mod and install the FastTrack version instead from here:

https://github.com/AthenaSulisMinerva/CombatExtendedFastTrack

*The ones that add weapons, apparel and factions, that is

JT

A lot of the stuff in FastTrack could be accomplished entirely by XML patch and pushed to CE master or kept as an addon mod, rather than having to edit CE master files. =)

For instance, adding the RH MSF TranqNonLethal AmmoCategoryDef to AmmoCategories_Advanced.xml could be done with a patch like (not tested, literally just written from my memory of the patch format):

<Patch>
<Operation Class="PatchOperationFindMod">
<mods>
<li>(Combat Extended's mod name from About.xml)</li>
</mods>
<match Class="PatchOperationFindMod">
<mods>
<li>(Project Red Horse MSF's mod name from About.xml</li>
</mods>
<match Class="PatchOperationSequence">
<operations>
<li Class="PatchOperationTest"> <!-- Find file that contains Charged ammo (AmmoCategories_Advanced.xml) -->
<xpath>Defs/CombatExtended.AmmoCategoryDef[defName="Charged"]</xpath>
</li>
<li Class="PatchOperationAdd"> <!-- Adds the new AmmoCategory def to the same file, under the root Defs node -->
<xpath>Defs</xpath>
<value>
<CombatExtended.AmmoCategoryDef>
<defName>TranqNonLethal</defName>
<label>tranquilizer</label>
<description>Special round designed for non-lethal engagements of targets. Filled with fast-acting sedatives and tipped with a hypodermic needle.</description>
</CombatExtended.AmmoCategoryDef>
</value>
</li>
</operations>
</match>
</match>
</Operation>
</Patch>

sumghai

Quote from: JT on June 27, 2019, 09:39:23 AM
A lot of the stuff in FastTrack could be accomplished entirely by XML patch and pushed to CE master
For reasons Chicken Plucker, Athena, RaptorX and I are aware of, the CE team specifically no longer accepts pull requests for anything related to Rimmu-Nation.

Quote from: JT on June 27, 2019, 09:39:23 AMor kept as an addon mod,
My observation has been that many newbie users struggle to properly use standalone patch mods, despite repeated attempts by modders to explain the correct instructions to them.

Therefore, I've instead opted to poka-yoke the process such that newbie users only need to install CE:FastTrack and their RN mod of choice, without having to worry about missing third-party dependencies or mod load orders.

Quote from: JT on June 27, 2019, 09:39:23 AMrather than having to edit CE master files.

Edits to master files are rare. More often, new ammo, projectiles and textures are added as new, separate files to the appropriate locations in the CE:FastTrack folder structure.

Quote from: JT on June 27, 2019, 09:39:23 AM=)

>:(

Quote from: JT on June 27, 2019, 09:39:23 AMFor instance, adding the RH MSF TranqNonLethal AmmoCategoryDef to AmmoCategories_Advanced.xml could be done with a patch like (not tested, literally just written from my memory of the patch format)

Not only is your suggested patch inefficient in terms of patch complexity and load time, it is also fundamentally incorrect in the context of the MSF mod.

The Wu Silent Pistol and M2000-NL from MGSV were derived from conventional gunpowder small arms of real-world calibers, not exotic sci-fi energy weapons. Therefore, it makes no sense that you're patching the tranquilizer dart behaviour on to charged ammo.

Retry_02Hide

Quote from: sumghai on June 18, 2019, 07:17:46 AM
Quick update:

The WIP version of Combat Extended FastTrack Edition now supports ALL* Rimmu-Nation and Red Horse Faction mods!

• [RH] Faction: Elite Crew
  • [RH] Faction: Last Man Mercs (tanks also do CE damage!)
  • [RH] Faction: Militaires Sans Frontieres (now with working CE implementation of tranquilizer ammo! a bit OP though)
  • [RH] Faction: Task Force 141
  • [RH] Faction: The Ghosts
  • [RH] Faction: Umbra Company
  • Red Horse Furniture
  • Rimmu-Nation - Clothing
  • Rimmu-Nation - Weapons

Athena is still putting the finishing touches before an official release, but if you want to run a CE game right now, delete your existing copy of the original CE mod and install the FastTrack version instead from here:

https://github.com/AthenaSulisMinerva/CombatExtendedFastTrack

*The ones that add weapons, apparel and factions, that is
Hello sumghai, I have a problem with the balance issue of T-55 LMMC in your CE patch.
I know that in the original release from CP have reduced some resistance of T-55, but when I tried it with CE, it feels a little bit...too weak? Even 5.56mm NATO FMJ can easily penetrate them, two magazines from MG(FMJ as well) would be an instant kill, no need to use 50. BMG or AT launchers at all. Also, maybe it needs more hp, no need to like centipes have tons of hp to receive lots of launchers and mortar shells, at least make it can sustain a little longer under heavy fire?

Compared to the strong as hell centipes, it is quite a shame that T-55 is such an easy target for everyone(I think even scyther is more 'tanky' than this tank). I originally want to build a tank army for myself, but since a colonist with power armor could tank more dmg than they do...well...

sumghai

Quote from: Retry_02Hide on July 02, 2019, 10:29:30 AMHello sumghai, I have a problem with the balance issue of T-55 LMMC in your CE patch.
I know that in the original release from CP have reduced some resistance of T-55, but when I tried it with CE, it feels a little bit...too weak? Even 5.56mm NATO FMJ can easily penetrate them, two magazines from MG(FMJ as well) would be an instant kill, no need to use 50. BMG or AT launchers at all. Also, maybe it needs more hp, no need to like centipes have tons of hp to receive lots of launchers and mortar shells, at least make it can sustain a little longer under heavy fire?

Compared to the strong as hell centipes, it is quite a shame that T-55 is such an easy target for everyone(I think even scyther is more 'tanky' than this tank). I originally want to build a tank army for myself, but since a colonist with power armor could tank more dmg than they do...well...
Yeah, I'm aware of the issue, and I'm looking into it.

Just to clarify, I did not deliberately nerf the T-55s. nor is a fix as easy as cranking up the hit points. This is because CP implemented the tanks as mechanoid-like creatures, and Combat Extended models shotgun penetration and organ damage for creatures as a function of flesh density, among other things - right now, the T-55s essentially are very large sponges. I'll have to play around with various parameters to make them more resilient to small arms, as originally intended.

sumghai

Okay Retry_02Hide, I've just pushed an update to the CE:FastTrack repo.

I basically implemented a hacky workaround to the damageMultipliers for the LMM faction T-55 tanks, which now makes them nearly impervious to all small arms fire, but still vulnerable to grenade or rocket launchers.

Please let me know how it goes.

Retry_02Hide

Quote from: sumghai on July 04, 2019, 10:39:02 AM
Okay Retry_02Hide, I've just pushed an update to the CE:FastTrack repo.

I basically implemented a hacky workaround to the damageMultipliers for the LMM faction T-55 tanks, which now makes them nearly impervious to all small arms fire, but still vulnerable to grenade or rocket launchers.

Please let me know how it goes.
Ok, just finished some tests...I think I can say it is the most powerful creature in rimworld now , something beyond a tank (maybe not stonger than polaris bloc mechanoids, idk).

So it basically immune to gun shots now, because their dmg value is set to 0 against t-55. .50 ap-i can do very little dmg to it, maybe it would take 5 days to let a pawn to kill t-55 with that, and the .50 sabot is useless now because it's dmg type is define as gun shot.

Use some launchers to atk it too, but it looks like only HE ammunitions can do some dmg (just like before, fair.enough but not too much). I used Carl Gustaf with HEAT and M72 LAW to test how AT launchers work (damn these things is so hard to hit, u would need to find proper range or they will always miss), HE can do more dmg than HEAT even it is not a direct hit (the dmg of heat is quite low as well, just a little more than .50 ap-i, hard to notice the difference on health bar).

I didn't test gun enplacements yet, but the result might be the same cause the dmg is decided by ammo types. If only using soldiers to fight it, grenade launchers would be a better choice than AT lauchers since HEAT do less dmg than HE.

In the end, I rate it 5 centipes cause it is invincible now :).

Side question: will the place u hit change the dmg value?

Edit: test 90mm pak gun as well, also try some other launchers.
        90mm heat can do a little more dmg than AT launchers, and its HE can ONE SHOT, yes ONE SHOT t-55, no exaggeration.
        As for launchers, MATADOR can do lots of dmg to t-55, I'm not sure why, maybe dmg type 'missle' is define as a stronger HE? AT4 is the one who do its job well, take 4 shots to kill a t-55, just like a normal AT launchers does (it's dmg type is called AT4 grenade, maybe that's the reason). And I also test Carl Gustaf again, the HEAT shell really do much less dmg than HE, I am sure that every shots are direct hits.

sumghai

I think the issue is that because the actual hitbox is the size of a 1x1 cell, you have to aim at exactly that cell to get any damage from grenade launchers.

If there are no further complaints, I'll consider the patching for the LMM T-55 to be complete.

Retry_02Hide

Quote from: sumghai on July 05, 2019, 07:05:59 AM
I think the issue is that because the actual hitbox is the size of a 1x1 cell, you have to aim at exactly that cell to get any damage from grenade launchers.

If there are no further complaints, I'll consider the patching for the LMM T-55 to be complete.
But direct hits from HEAT do much less dmg than HE is quite weird, this would make its only purpose totally be replaced by HE.