Comms Console uses numbers to dial up other factions and trade ships.

Started by Bozzarr, June 14, 2014, 07:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bozzarr

My small idea is that Standard Comms Console would require you to write down numbers of other factions if you wanted to call them.
Every Comms Console would come with a small address book as well as notebook for any important information you might want to remember.
To acquire a number from a faction you would need to ask them for it as they visit, tribesmen would just write it down on sand with a stick and townsmen would give you small pieces of paper.
This new comms console would be good place to hide some Easter eggs, as well as new options , such as communicating with centipedes or even taking control of them if you knew the right code to connect to their internal matrix. Basically change Comms Console to a big, inconvenient , power hungry ,  cell phone .
Enjoy

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Bozzarr on June 14, 2014, 07:41:01 AM
My small idea is that Standard Comms Console would require you to write down numbers of other factions if you wanted to call them.
Every Comms Console would come with a small address book as well as notebook for any important information you might want to remember.
To acquire a number from a faction you would need to ask them for it as they visit, tribesmen would just write it down on sand with a stick and townsmen would give you small pieces of paper.
This new comms console would be good place to hide some Easter eggs, as well as new options , such as communicating with centipedes or even taking control of them if you knew the right code to connect to their internal matrix. Basically change Comms Console to a big, inconvenient , power hungry ,  cell phone .
Enjoy

hmmm
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Mattorious

I'm gonna have to disagree. The comms console is there to communicate with ease to other entities, and having to memorize the number for every clan and every trader just doesn't suit me. Sorry, but no.

Although, I might be okay if the numbers are just like #411 or #917, simple 3 digit numbers.
Quote from: wooaa on December 11, 2014, 11:52:49 PM
I love the mindset of gamers. Given a new feature to help keep our people alive and make the game more realistic, the first thing we think of is a way to kill people with it

Bozzarr

Quote from: Mattorious on June 14, 2014, 07:53:59 AM
I'm gonna have to disagree. The comms console is there to communicate with ease to other entities, and having to memorize the number for every clan and every trader just doesn't suit me. Sorry, but no.

Although, I might be okay if the numbers are just like #411 or #917, simple 3 digit numbers.

You dont have to memorise these numbers , just write it down in your built in address book.

mrkillit

How do you contact a tribe that has to write in the sand using an electronic communicator?  You shouldn't even be able to contact these factions with the comms console.  You should have to speak in person.  As for other factions capable of electronic communication, I'm ok with the concept that one of my colonists has added their contact info to the comms console.

It might be neat if you could play with the frequency to try and contact new factions that have radio capability.  Factions that otherwise wouldn't know about you because they are a large distance away.

milon

Quote from: mrkillit on June 16, 2014, 01:09:38 PM
How do you contact a tribe that has to write in the sand using an electronic communicator?  You shouldn't even be able to contact these factions with the comms console.  You should have to speak in person.  As for other factions capable of electronic communication, I'm ok with the concept that one of my colonists has added their contact info to the comms console.
That was my first reaction too, but I think Bozzarr meant that the visiting colonists just don't have electronic communications devices with them, but that they do have them back at their home base.  And I think the reason for "writing it down", rather than automatically registering, is because of the easter eggs. If you have to punch in a number manually, then you can punch in a number you "don't have".   If you're just choosing from a list, then you can't find easter eggs in the comms unit.