Freezes every few seconds [Linux]

Started by Azzarrel, March 23, 2018, 06:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azzarrel

Hi. I have a pretty new and powerful pc (I7 8700k, 1080TI, DDR4, SSD) and wanted to play Rimworld again.

I downloaded quite a lot of mods and the game still runs super smooth ... but about every 5 seconds the game freezes for a couple of miliseconds, then it runs normal again.
I tried to lower my expectations a little, disabling a few mods, reducing the map size a little without much success.
Previously, as to my expierience these issues were caused by mod errors, but in debug mode my log files are completely clear.

The freezes start immediatly, also in completely new games.
Any Idea why this could happen?

Calahan

Can you please post your mod list and log file (as an attachment). See the pinned thread if you need to know how to in them.

Also, have you tried playing a pure vanilla game? And if so are you still getting the sae freeing issue or not?

Azzarrel

I changed my mod list trying to tackle the issue. The game is in a more than playable state, but I'd like to get rid of this minor annoyance anyway.

Some Info:
Game freezes for only few miliseconds every 8-11 seconds. Increasing speed seems to shorten the duration between freezes, but not proportionally. The game also freezes on pause.
Freeze = the game becomes irresponsible for a few seconds, if I am doing something (like placing a wall), the command is interrupted (and my selection is gone)
The freezes start occuring with a new map. Decreasing the map sice (I tried anything between 200x200 and 400x400), does nothing.
The freezes don't occure in a vanilla game no matter the world size (at least not from the beginning)
Playing only with Hardcore SK Pack decreases the length of a freeze and icreases the duration between freezes, but doesn't get rid of them at all.
Hospitality features and Faction descriptions have a weird (looks like letters overlapping) font
There is an empty "Combat" Tab in each of my pawns personal menu

Mod List:
Main Mods  from Hardcore SK Project
A couple of hair mods
A couple of extra trait mods
Facial Stuff (some of its functionality seems to be overwritten by the SK Project)
Greenworld (just changes terrain skin)
Zombieland (although no zombie spawned yet)
Giddly up! Core + Mounts + Caravans
Rimmu-Nation Mod (although I tried enabling/disabling it)
Snap out (calm pawns on break out)
Therapy (make good thoughts)
Faction Control (increase number of factions and faction bases)
Discover Faction (if you want to add factions in a already generated world)
P-Music (Just Music)
Hunt for me (Animal Hunting)
More Trait Slots (from 3-9)
Horses
Joy Source play Music
Prisoner Ransom
Stack Merger
Quality Builder

Logfiles:
I played for ~ 1h.
A small note: the errors on the beginning are caused because i use another combat extended version than SK Project (bc i really wanted the Rimmu Weapons), but doesn't seem to cause any other errors

As far as I understand freezes should rather be caused by buggy/looping scripts and slow processing speed, while textures and sounds increase load times, but shouldn't be that much of an issue once loaded into RAM, right ?

[attachment deleted due to age]

Canute

Just for info.
HCSK allready is a resource eating monster, together with Zombieland,Hunt for me.
Not to speak that you forget some other mod you add, like werewolfs.

Damn, why does people allways want to add extra mod's to the HCSK modpack, don't they notice that is a very bad idea.
HCSK modpack is very unique, you can try to add mod and look if it works or if it cause problems.
And at your case it cause more trouble.

Azzarrel

welp. I could play HCSK on my old I7 2700k for almost 30 ingame-years without problems, before lags and errors slowly killed my save file.
I figured out way better hardware should be able to improve my repertior a bit here.

And no: I didn't forget to add anything. Why do you think that?

Canute

Because
Config error in ChildrenWerewolfChild: TraitDef ChildrenWerewolfChild has 0 commonality.
And i don't saw any werwolf or child mod at their modlist.

Quotewelp. I could play HCSK on my old I7 2700k for almost 30 ingame-years without problems, before lags and errors slowly killed my save file.
Lag is one thing, you can't avoid this, special not with all these things you got at HCSK.
But error's are another thing, some you can ignore other's might gamebreakers.
But since the developer of HCSK rarely on these forum you need to visit them at their discord channel.
And if you got a bad build of HCSK you can have alot of trouble.
Good luck.

Azzarrel

the werewolf part is from the children mod, which still spams this message if you don't delete the mod config after disabling it ...

Lag is msotly caused either by bad optimisation or low-spec hardware.
If you are telling me "Hunt for me", which takes a vanilla-game mechanic (hunting of predators), and adds another game mechanic (hauling for pets), to build a small, little quality-of-life mod but is worth naming with Zombieland and HCSK regarding processing requirements, that would be terrible optimation, but it is totally avoidable, or can at least be reduced to a minimum ammount.

I can't optimize any mod myself, but i can ask here if anybody knows "performance-heavy" mods (small redundancies can cause a lot of wasted resources even on minor mods) or tips and tricks to improve my performance.
It would also help to know why there are freezes every few seconds. If something was slowing the game, it would be on every tick, rather than periodically, which means this is probably some kind of rare script, that isn't called permanently.

Is there possibly any way to see which mod is active while the freeze?