What's a Nutrient Paste Dispenser good for these days?

Started by Col_Jessep, June 14, 2014, 05:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milon

Quote from: MajorFordson on October 05, 2014, 07:49:28 PM
I'd love to see the NPS

1. Be able to turn human flesh into non-cannibal food source
2. Be able to turn inedible organic matter into food source. Why not somehow allow full corpses to be deposited, and the whole thing is broken down into nutrients, not just the meat.
3. The ability to research and use mood stabilising chemicals. Being able to pick from a list of enhancements with pros and cons would be great. So perhaps a drug that increases happiness but slows people down.

Always good to have multiple options for the player to have their own game style, as long as it makes sense and there are reasons to choose one way over the other. Currently this isn't really the case.

That's actually a really good suggestion, and would give NPD an actual purpose.  I like it!

Rahjital

The mood stabilising effect is a good idea indeed. Perhaps instead of mood-raising effect, people should get a "blissful" or "drugged" medical state, that would make them more resistant to mental breaks but would also make them work somewhat slower? It would make NPDs a good choice for starting colonies again while larger colonies would still want to cook.

Aenir

Quote from: Rahjital on October 06, 2014, 04:22:50 PM
The mood stabilising effect is a good idea indeed. Perhaps instead of mood-raising effect, people should get a "blissful" or "drugged" medical state, that would make them more resistant to mental breaks but would also make them work somewhat slower? It would make NPDs a good choice for starting colonies again while larger colonies would still want to cook.
The start of the game is when you're least likely to have mental breaks, and when you have the most work to be done.  Your suggestion would be better for a late-game colony that has no cook.

Feniks

I used to skip pasta dispenser until recently when I did some testing and it turns out with pasta dispenser I am able to increase my colony efficiency by 1/3 and that is a lot on scale of say 20 days. If you run it until you get your first prisoners you have all 3 guys building, mining etc. In early stages of a game penalty for a pasta meal is so low you can easily take it. After increasing your colony to 4-5 guys you can just sell it and start cooking properly.

Zack_Wester

my biggest problem whit the Nutrient Paste Dispenser is that its takes up 1/3 of my cantina space really I could fit in an third table plus chair or an Paste Dispenser(takes the table as I never really use the Dispenser anyway).
if it was smaller and was not effected by solar flares/eclipse, then maybe as an backup but else you just going to end up whit spoiled food all the time.

if the Nutrient Paste Dispenser was 1X3 or 2X1 or something like that I would actually place one in the corner instead of an jukebox but we don't have jukeboxes so Paste it is. but now I need an freaking extension for something no one likes to use.

Hoodinski

I have never used it. Ever. Though I can understand in certain, yet non-implemented biomes it could be a lifesaver.

CheekiestBreekiest

I feel like it shouldn't really make human meat non-cannibal. If anything I'd find the idea of consuming pastified human meat worse than a slice of man-steak. Although I suppose the colonists don't necessarily need to know what's in the paste...

Love the idea of being able to drug your colonists though. Develop anti-depressants and put them in your nutrient dispenser until they act like robots. Then chop off their limbs and replace them with robotic limbs so you get real robots.

christhekiller

Quote from: Hoodinski on October 10, 2014, 09:53:27 AM
I have never used it. Ever. Though I can understand in certain, yet non-implemented biomes it could be a lifesaver.

Really? I find myself relying primarily on it. Typically, especially early on, I'll have anyone whose skilled in cooking doing other things, like at least hauling. And keeping busy by cooking for the colony just seems like a waist of effort when they could be doing other things