What's a Nutrient Paste Dispenser good for these days?

Started by Col_Jessep, June 14, 2014, 05:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Col_Jessep

Every time I start a new colony I just skip the Nutrient Paste Dispenser and build a cooking stove instead. I get no morale penalty that way and can stockpile some meals for the inevitable eclipse/solar flair.

Is there a use for the paste dispenser that I missed? Maybe in your prison?

It would be great if we could produce Packaged Survival Meals with the paste dispenser? Some long lasting emergency rations might be useful later on imo.

Planetary Annihilation Imminent

AwesumnisRawr188

I have no clue.

I don't think you even need it though as I've been doing the same thing, and have a colonist prioritized to cook meals all the time. It works well, so I don't want to waste space with a clunky water turbine looking machine. Plus I can't imagine it tasting too good for being paste.

Scotty

I guess it is good for new starters who are join learning the game. Gives a food source if they screw up their food supply or forget to build a cooking bench

Untrustedlife

So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Mattorious

Whenever I have a large colony, It's always nice to have a nutrient past dispenser in the event of bad blight timing. Never have had to use it, but it's a nice backup, just in case.
Quote from: wooaa on December 11, 2014, 11:52:49 PM
I love the mindset of gamers. Given a new feature to help keep our people alive and make the game more realistic, the first thing we think of is a way to kill people with it

Col_Jessep

Quote from: AwesumnisRawr188 on June 14, 2014, 06:22:22 AM
so I don't want to waste space with a clunky water turbine looking machine.
Well, if it would be changed into a Water Filtration Unit we could have bottled water for our colonists. Unfortunately I have no idea how to add the need to drink water regularly for pawns. Might be a good idea to wait until the inventory system for colonists is implemented. We wouldn't want our workers to return to the water hole every 2 or 3 hours. =D

dd0029

Late game, raids rarely come at a time when you have a full stockpile of meals. I find the first thing my guys do after a raid is a big group meal, wiping out my stock. The paste dispenser, while still giving a negative is, I believe, a lesser negative than the raw food. That's what I've started using them for.

TheXIIILightning

I usually play on Tough Cleopatra, so I always find myself building a paste dispenser so my Colonists have more time to work instead of carrying around food everywhere.
Once I have built basic defenses and rooms, I build a Stove near my kitchen (Where the table and Dispenser is) so they can start preparing meals. Since the Dispenser already has a stockpile of food nearby, it makes the creation of meals that much faster, while at the same time providing them with a food source in case of an emergency.

The Dispenser is a necessary item depending on what you focus on doing at the start of the game. The time a colonist would spend hauling and preparing 8 or so meals, could be better spent growing vegetables, cutting down trees and mining for metal. ^^

Aenir

I just stick to berries since they don't lower happiness at all.

fla_hotrod

Quote from: Col_Jessep on June 14, 2014, 05:58:15 AMIs there a use for the paste dispenser that I missed? Maybe in your prison?

I think there should be an option to reserve the dispenser only for prisoners.   Just sayin'     ;)

Tamedsquall

Personally I never both with the stoves. I play on Randy and easily amass huge colonies and I only ever use the nutrient paste dispenser. Only one at that. The moral cost doesn't even matter as long as they are feed. Last time I bothered to cook I hated the exp. dates on the meals so I never bother. Has that changed btw?

Renham

I think the nutrient dispenser should be smaller, with that it will be more useful than it is now. I mean is a huge structure in which you could build a kitchen and a butcher table for all needs.
if you can imagine it I can build it with pixels.
if I cant well then imagine something else.

Col_Jessep

Quote from: Aenir on June 14, 2014, 12:37:32 PM
Oh, didn't know that! Strawberries for EVERYBODY! =3

Quote from: Tamedsquall on June 14, 2014, 04:19:57 PM
Last time I bothered to cook I hated the exp. dates on the meals so I never bother. Has that changed btw?
I think it's 3 to 4 days. A fridge to double the time would be nice.

Dr. Z

Quote from: Col_Jessep on June 15, 2014, 05:36:26 AM
Quote from: Aenir on June 14, 2014, 12:37:32 PM

Oh, didn't know that! Strawberries for EVERYBODY! =3

Could go wrong easily, because your colonists need more units of raw food to get full than a dispenser use. Also strawberrie plants don't produce as much units as a potato plant, farming is less effective in Alpha 4 and there's always the possibility of a blight.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Renham

I maintain my position if the nutrient paste dispenser was smaller it would be much better, because it would be a very nice adition to the starting colony- even better. if it was part of the drop pod suply and you could just place it at the begining. but thats just another whole concept idea for the game.
if you can imagine it I can build it with pixels.
if I cant well then imagine something else.