Should Rimworld have "focuses" similar to Civilization's "victories"?

Started by Call me Arty, March 25, 2018, 11:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

I was thinking about this earlier, and I wanted it more fleshed out and criticized before making a suggestion.

As it stands, all colonies sort of dance around the same points as far as development. Sure, one colony might go for firearms before devilstrand, or medicine before geothermal generators, but every colony just swirls around the research tree picking-up projects as it goes until they get a ship. There's not really a focus to it. Most colonies are Jacks of all Trades, and Master of All. Every colony can get the best weapons available, every colony can get the best crops on their farms, every colony can build a spaceship. There's just no real focus.

Take Civilization, for example. There are a variety of ways to win the game, and you're probably not going to get any of them if you try to do all of them. Currently, the one closest to Rimworld as a mechanic is the Science victory. Depending on which game you play, it's a variation on getting a functioning space-program up and running. This, of course, means you might need to put more focus into scholarly things, such as building a library or university to aid the collection of knowledge and potentially attract like-minded characters, an observatory that would help you see where you're launching your ship, and finally: Your space program.

My issue? Where to go from there. Say you want to win by force, and make all other factions submit to you. Currently, you can wipe out every single other faction and base in the whole game, and you won't win. You've got to keep playing until you make the ship, or get wiped-out by Mechanoids/Bugs. Alright, so make it a possibility to "claim" the Rimworld by wiping away everyone else on it. That'd be tough with bows and rags, so you'd want to look into highly advance Pulse Rifles, and tank-like power armor. . . and that sounds pretty scientific.

Okay, instead, you want to make the "industrial" stage of the game seem much more industrial, so rather than build solar panels, wind turbines, and geothermal generators - which you can just place and forget about until you need another one - you go for the vastly inferior wood/chemfuel generators, which need forests chopped in droves to support, and can very well just explode. Yeah, that's not going to happen.

Additionally, a "victory" doesn't mean much when you're just fighting code (and we aren't getting multiplayer anytime soon. . . I'm fairly certain). It would mean a major overhaul of the game to make something where you're trying to beat out all of these other factions to a victory. Since you don't have to worry about them catching up, there's really no pressure, which means you'd be free to just research everything and win in thanks to your scientifically-backed military-culture, or things would have to be locked based on your path, which would probably bother people who'd want cyber-cows or priests who double as popstars.

Overall, I'm just trying to see if there are any ways to do something like this, since replicating Stardew Valley, Command and Conquer, or a sort of Rim Of Madness: Cults II seem a neat idea that could definitely spice things up (or maybe down?), opposed to the usual cyborgs armed with the arsenal from Doom building a spaceship right next to the combo smokeleaf fields/turret yard.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Jibbles

Quests, that is if Rimworld ever gets to that point where they can start adding it.

The game in it's current state feels really stale to me when you just bump up the research.  It lacks the content for it IMO.  I like how you can be all over the research tree though I do believe you should see some noticeable benefits taking a specific route. I'd actually prefer if we could buy or obtain blueprints rather than just being restricted by research speed.
Lots of players want domination.  I think it should be an option.

Bozobub

Funny, I turn ALL of the victory conditions off in the Civ games, so the only way to win is absolute domination.

Personally, I play RimWorld as an ant farm with guns, drugs, bands of raving marauders, and stylish eveningwear made from (delicious) people.  I've never ONCE gone for the "win", nor am I likely to.

I'm pretty sure, however, that you could write a mod to put this into the game ;).
Thanks, belgord!

Gohihioh

I never looked at Rimworld at a game which you play.
I play it to recreate some story(which is usually mix of what storyteller throws at you and what story decided to follow).
Also as Bozobub said I mostly play RimWorld as an 'ant farm'.

I don't even see a need for RimWorld to have a winning condition. I did once make ship just to see what will happen.

I think the best way for RimWorld to have a 'winning' condition is to be able to edit Scenario more. So you can create your own rules, your own conditions and have more impact on other factions and how the world plays out. For me RimWorld is more about creating a story, so just add to the game better option to control how you can end that story.

Canute

I never play Rimworld to Win the game. Sure it might some challenge to escape the planet in x days.
And i allways going to do some winning each Release just to see how it works.
But mosttime i like to create new colonies with different mod set until the outpost is well established and comfortable, the pawn's are well equiped and enhanced.
After that part it becomes a bit boring, since i don't recruit more then 12-16 pawn's anyway.

Yoshida Keiji

Did you read the "Cryptosleep revival briefing"?

I want a "Terraforming" scenario where your pawns are the first to arrive (Deadworld) to a planet and need to make it habitable, making the crashed ship the primary base from where everything starts, long before we can start settling outposts and there is no other around, but eventually people start to divide into sects.

Or a "real" scientific winning course in which we can turn our colony into a Glitterworld level and eventually hold a space station that functions as a waypoint between other planets where ships come and go.

Or auto-mechanize a planet so as to go explore other stars, allowing players to build their own mechanoids.

The lore is already provided, we just need it applied to the game.

MajorFordson

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on March 26, 2018, 07:49:09 AM
Did you read the "Cryptosleep revival briefing"?

I want a "Terraforming" scenario where your pawns are the first to arrive (Deadworld) to a planet and need to make it habitable, making the crashed ship the primary base from where everything starts, long before we can start settling outposts and there is no other around, but eventually people start to divide into sects.

Woah now there's a really cool idea! Like a Maxis game from the 90s! You land on a not-quite-dead world with only nasty plants and mutant creatures on it, and plenty of dreadful disaster events as well as some pirate raids, and you need to kick off the taming of the planet/terraforming/build a spaceport.

You'd have to build up a strong initial base, then send out caravans to form new colonies to accomplish specific things - ie start a mine of necessary minerals, build a big power generating area, build a farm community outputting a lot of food then finally start building advanced terraforming centers.

That'd be a really cool game mode, with a "nice" objective for the game!

Bozobub

I'd agree wholeheartedly, if caravans weren't such a royal pain in the ass ::).  It DOES sound like a fun variant, I agree.
Thanks, belgord!

sick puppy

Quote from: Bozobub on March 26, 2018, 02:35:51 PM
I'd agree wholeheartedly, if caravans weren't such a royal pain in the ass ::).  It DOES sound like a fun variant, I agree.
to be fair there wouldnt be any raiders or traders on your way, so all you'd need to do is make the caravan and send it on its way and you're done

this terramorphing of deadworlds or animalworlds has the one big downside that you'll have less or at least very different resources. also, the tiles, weather and everything might be all weird so you'd need a load of new research topics. you'd also need a whole ton of starting resources because the climate would be very unfriendly towards you with frequent animal attacks and everything. heck, you might need to order animals or orbital trade with peeps to even get your first animals of every kind onto your planet.

the game will be very difficult at first and become gradually easier, while there arent any raids that could increase in size, with the exception of bugs, mechanoids and manhunter packs. these are some of the most hated enemies of most players, i believe.

what i am trying to say is that these games will be very weird and un-rimworld-y. if anything, this could become like a major mod/scenario, but anything else wont happen. no way. sorry. heck i doubt people would even like this mod. a few will love it, but only for lore reasons and not for the gameplay is what i am afraid. granted, i would love to TRY IT OUT, but that's it. just like i ONCE did the sea ice challenge. thanks, but no thanks. was cool once, i wont touch this for literal years anymore now.
(i think i made my point now. sorry if i sound harsh. dunno how to turn it off. i am trying hard to sound somewhat nice)

if we wanna go for civilization style endings, i'd maybe go for WAY more research topics for the research win and essentially transform at least your colony into a glitterworld but that was suggested before.

another win method would as said be the military one. for that we need to have at least an overhaul of the current placement of factions and colonies and so on, but also something like horses, cars or jets for easier movement on the world.

spaceship building goes in the direction of financial/economical win for me. i could see starting an orbital trade ship, space station moon base as just that. it is expensive and essentially guarantees you good trade and so on. obviously needs some new research topics.

i dont even know, but is there another method of winning in civilization like society or population or something? if so, we could do something like a limit of having 100 pawns or 80, i dont know. not very interesting in and of itself and i guess the critical limit of pawns in the eyes of your storyteller would have to be set higher and higher with either some research or certain buildings or objects or i don't know. (it's 18 with most storytellers (yes, even modded ones) randy being the great exception of having it set to 50) the most obvious research topics would be like everything from the bad hygiene mod. additional more high tech ones could also be added, like maybe your pawns live longer if they eat nutrient paste meals, so once you can afford feeding them that way and still have their mood up high, it shows the advancements in your society.
additionally you could also implement other things from other suggestions from this suggestions topic like government, law and others probably, but this society win is the hardest to make as it needs tons of hard to implement things in comparison to the other points, i believe, while the other points arent easy at all, either.

did i mention all points? maybe building world wonders? that's something typical for games like civilization, but i would guess that is included in the economical win.

Yoshida Keiji

Civ also has Cultural victory, which translated to RimWorld could be something like placing many Grand sculptures in 5 settlements.
Religious victory, translated to Sacrifice to the Gods 50 members of the other Factions using an Altar that butchers pawns, allows slavery, pedophilia and murdering in the name of God causes no mood penalties. All other Factions are viewed as "heretics" and the obligation of Christianizing others has a gauge bar like food, mood and rest that needs to be constantly satisfied. Playing religious victory blocks scientific victory as it doesn't require intellectual development.

Bozobub

Having multiple victory types does not necessarily imply slavishly copying Civ's versions ???.
Thanks, belgord!

sick puppy

Quote from: Bozobub on March 26, 2018, 07:13:30 PM
Having multiple victory types does not necessarily imply slavishly copying Civ's versions ???.
i was copying them because they already had nice names and the aims i thought of myself
but if you have any other ideas, please

Bozobub

Thanks, belgord!

Call me Arty

To those who say that they do not play to win, I agree, and neither really, do I. The reason that I suggest these is because playing forever can get boring. There is a point in which you have every research, and your scientists are left cleaning. You've added every mod that you can handle. There is a point, in point, in which, every threat is no longer a threat. After that, well, why keep playing?

Endings can be good. If we are left without knowing what the upper tier of rifles can do because we we focused more on defenses and diplomacy than overwhelming firepower, it leaves something refreshing for when we begin our next colony and de-limb somebody with bullets. Otherwise, most people play the game until they're sick of it. Keeping something fresh can't hurt.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Vlad0mi3r

These topics always confuse me. You want more endings to what is basically a sandbox game. My colony I'm playing at the moment has already launched a ship with 18 colonists and I'm still playing it.

There are so many mods out there that add different flavours and things to do that really your options are huge. These request for different endings suggest a lack of imagination. Set your own goals for the "END" of your game. In the one I'm still playing after launching the ship my goal is to build a highway (Road building mod) across the map. Kicking the crap out of pirates as I go.

One thing that actually annoys me about games like CIV (stopped playing the series after CIV 3) is the constant drive and pushing. Seriously building the UN give a "cultural victory" what a load of crap. Heck I used it once to nerf a win when I was going to loose a multiplayer match but that is another story. I like being able to train up my animals, Let my colonists build up their skills and work towards balancing the operation of my colonies. Not playing to "win".

Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503