I can't have beer in my colony apparently...

Started by bob112, March 26, 2018, 01:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob112

it seems every time i get beer in my colony either via making it or buying it if my colony has small animals they will immediately go and drink the beer to the point were at the very least they will get blackout drunk which was the case of one of my modded colony i don't remember the name of the mod i had installed but it makes rabbits breed like well... rabbits i installed it thinking if i tame or buy a male and female rabbit i could breed them for food but any way i had a ton of rabbits in the colony and then i brought about 400 beer from a trade ship my colonists had moved the beer into storage and a day later there was vomit all over the colony and the vast majority of the rabbits were all either hammered or blackout drunk.
in my current colony i brought about 30 - 40 beer and my colonists hadn't had a chance to get the beer in storage yet due to the mass of corpses from a manhunting pack of elephants and a few ingame hours later i get a message saying cockerel 1 has suffered chemical damage then a minute later a bunch of messages saying my chickens of either gender including cockerel 1 had cirrhosis of which cockerel 1 died of a minute later all my other animals my cat, my caribous, my minions, my muffalochicken and my muffalopedes all didn't touch the beer only the chickens so lesson learned: small animals and beer don't mix in rimworld 

Goldenpotatoes

Pretty much when it comes to producing anything edible, you need to keep it in a separate stockpile and designate an area where animals aren't allowed, else they will get into it and they more than likely will eat/drink all of it. I don't know why animals on the rim are all raging alcoholics and drug users, but they are and you need to build around that if you plan on having some sort of livestock.

Bozobub

I'm more curious how they open the bottles o.O'.
Thanks, belgord!

bob112

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on March 26, 2018, 02:19:48 PM
Pretty much when it comes to producing anything edible, you need to keep it in a separate stockpile and designate an area where animals aren't allowed, else they will get into it and they more than likely will eat/drink all of it. I don't know why animals on the rim are all raging alcoholics and drug users, but they are and you need to build around that if you plan on having some sort of livestock.

that's the thing they never touched the drugs i did have one chicken that had a addiction to one drug i think had a painkiller effect of some sort that had lost a leg due to frostbite but that was because one of my colonists decided to feed it to the chicken but other than that even though they had free access to yayo and go-juice for a year or two they never touched them

Quote from: Bozobub on March 26, 2018, 02:33:38 PM

with there beaks and teeth apparently that or with their minds

Boboid

The reason that animals drink beer but don't use your drugs is that the beer has a nutritional value and therefore when the animal is hungry it's a valid item to consume.

Drugs don't have nutritional value ( Not even Psychoid Pekoe ) so your animals ignore them. The same isn't true of Psychoid leaves and Smokeleaf, animals can and will eat these though it's seldom a problem.

If you don't want beer consumed by your tamed animals you will need to set their allowed zone in such a way that it excludes your beer stockpile.

Remember you can Invert allowed areas in the Manage Areas interface.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Kiter5

same here.

I have had so many iguanas die from liver cancer.

Forbiding the beer didnt work; iguanas can't read signs I guess.

I have to not-allow the beer storage areas for animals.

Vlad0mi3r

I always felt that the use of shelves should prevent animals from accessing things. Would be nice if it was an option and give us more reason to use shelves.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

Canute

If you want to use mod's try out SmarterFoodSelection, that can prevent that animal's are looking for beer instead of kibble.

The advance of shelfes are, the can give beauty while an item on the plain ground reduce beauty.

sick puppy

Quote from: Canute on March 29, 2018, 02:44:12 AM
If you want to use mod's try out SmarterFoodSelection, that can prevent that animal's are looking for beer instead of kibble.

The advance of shelfes are, the can give beauty while an item on the plain ground reduce beauty.
so, technically they only exist to a, make items not deteriorate outdoors (which isnt very useful to me as building a piece of wooden wall and ceilings to cover a huge ground is much lore resource and time effective) and b, to make storage rooms look nice? i mean sure, you'd need like 100 of them, but that is it technically, right? hmm, at least this gives me something to do in my late game colonies...

dkmoo

Quote from: Boboid on March 27, 2018, 03:58:57 AM

Drugs don't have nutritional value ( Not even Psychoid Pekoe ) so your animals ignore them. The same isn't true of Psychoid leaves and Smokeleaf, animals can and will eat these though it's seldom a problem.

Not true. I've had so many instances of hauler animals getting addicted to Luciferium so I was forced to slaughter them.

RimSol

lol this thread made me laugh. It happens to me all the time. My main animals (haulers, defenders, mounters) are usually pretty well behaved but if I get an auto tame rat or bunny- 99 times out of 100, they are doing all the alcohol and drugs they can get their hands on. I had a rat addicted to luciferum just laying around and going into rages once every couple of days.

Jernfalk

xD This happens to me a lot. A way to solve it is to designate a massive area for the animals and not allowing them to enter the place where the beer and drugs are stored.

Taramafor

Quote from: Bozobub on March 26, 2018, 02:33:38 PM

As funny as that is it's also a good point.

So like... did the devs give them thumbs or something?

sick puppy

i'm also curious how the heck animals inject luci and go juice
or how animals smoke flake and smokeweed
or how turtles snort yayo
or how they "take" wake up (however that might be)

Bozobub

Quote from: sick puppy on April 01, 2018, 10:53:38 AM
i'm also curious how the heck animals inject luci and go juice
or how animals smoke flake and smokeweed
or how turtles snort yayo
or how they "take" wake up (however that might be)
Just about all smokable/snortable and most (but not all) injectable drugs are also effective when injested orally.  Ever heard of "pot brownies", as an easy example?

Eating most drugs generally causes slower onset of the "high" and it often lasts longer, as well.  Effects can also change; eating marijuana actually *increases* the effects of the drug, for example.
Thanks, belgord!