Why very few modders make shotguns fires multiple shots?

Started by DiamondBorne, March 29, 2018, 03:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiamondBorne

Topic. Was it really hard to do, pointless or there's some weird technical thing I'm not aware of? Since A16 I've only seen Combat Extended and Xenomorph's USMC did this.

Also, Is there any mod that converts vanilla and modded Shotgun to behave like real life?

Shinzy

Large majority of modders are doing the mods by editing XMLs only
and the only way to make weapons with just xml is them being single projectile (or like several projectiles with some delay between each)

Alistaire

Vanilla projectiles will target a certain cell and won't actually spread out from their trajectory so a multi-pellet shotgun would be a mass of pellets hitting a bunch of cell centers or a mass of pellets all aiming for the same target. Far as I know the vanilla burstfire method of handling projectiles means that there's at least one tick between burst fires (since the method doesn't check for 0 ticks between shots and it only checks once per tick) making it impossible to have a multi-pellet shotgun as such.

A workaround would be to have a shotgun fire a single projectile which on tick 1 self-destroys, spawning in several projectile pellets in slightly different directions from the original direction. CombatExtended changes all shooting code and includes the ability to code pellets in XML by looping through pellet counts on shotgun fire, directing each pellet as an individual bullet. More workarounds can be thought of.

It's not hard but it requires some C#. Since weapons are so easy to do in XML, most weapon modders rather stick to XML, or those who already know C# would rather do something more complicated in C# than shotgun pellets, example being Skullywag's weapon packs.

DiamondBorne

Thanks alot for the insightful answer my friends. ^_^