Mods Not Available Offline

Started by browncanon, March 30, 2018, 11:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

browncanon

My mods are not available when I turn my steam offline. In the past it wasn't like this, I was able to play and expect my mods to still be there even when I turn offline. Please take your time in fixing this bug thank you. Appreciate your game BTW...

Calahan

There have been no updates to RimWorld so your problem is 99.9% certain to be releated to Steam and not a bug or problem with RimWorld. (I've never understood why there's always an automatic assumption that the game is at fault when problems suddenly occur out of nowhere. And rather than assume Steam is the cause. Particularly given the long and consistent history Steam has of temporary bugs and issues, and especially when there haven't been any updates to the game in question).

And AFAIK Steam Workshop mods are not available offline unless you take steps to make them available offline yourself .Although I could be mistaken on this because I do not use Steam Workshop (or Steam if I can help it). But moving your mods offline should (or I think it should) solve whatever Steam related problem is affecting your game. Guides for moving your Steam Workshop mods offline can be found both here and on Steam (courtesy of the same helpful person, BlackSmokeDMax).

Here - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=29440.0
Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/app/294100/discussions/0/1291817208489340678/

And moving this to support because this is not a bug in the game (and if I could move it to Steam support I would, because it's a Steam support issue).

nccvoyager

If I am not mistaken, Steam recently (slightly) changed the way it delivers mods (for most games) on the Workshop.
This was designed to counter the replication of Workshop mods for use in non-Steam versions of the game.
The end result is that downloading mods from the Workshop from outside the Steam client is now more difficult, and additional steps are often required to allow mods downloaded via the Workshop to work in offline mode.
(Valve seems to treat it like piracy, even though it isn't copyright infringement, nor is anybody making money off of it, not even Valve themselves. It is a violation of the Terms of Service regarding the Steam Workshop, and all things uploaded to the Workshop become the property of Valve, but I mean... Shouldn't they be happy it ends up costing them less bandwidth?)

In any case, as per Calahan's assessment, modification (or at the very least relocation) of mod files would now be required for Workshop mods to work when Steam is in offline mode.

browncanon

Thank you for the reply, I'll try sending a report for this problem in steam support to get this fix if possible. ;D

nccvoyager

I wish you the best of luck, though I don't know if Valve will respond with much.
Though I would say that having an "offline mode" feature should definitely allow all functionality (that doesn't directly require internet access) at normal levels.

Calahan

@ browncanon - Good luck! Although if you're asking Valve for Workshop mods, or indeed asking for *anything* to work offline then you'll likely hit a brick wall. Since I'm sure Valve would get rid of offline mode entirely if they could get away with it (and without a user backlash). AFAIK the guides I linked to still work in regards to moving mods offline.

@ nccvoyager/Steam Whisperer - Thanks for the FYI. Unsurprisingly I don't keep a close tab on whatever thing Steam decided to fiddle with on any given day, but still appreciate the FYI about any Steam going on's, especially an that might find their way back to here as a support issue.

Plus it means when people post about said new Steam related problem I can say "it's definitely a Steam issue" as opposed to taking an educated guess with "it's very likely a Steam issue". Certainty is good :)

nccvoyager

Yeah, no problem Calahan.
Funny thing is, I came across that information while looking for a (non-Steam) version of mod for Stellaris.
I couldn't find one, so I just ended up coding my own and uploading it to the Nexus.  :P

mohreb

It is even worst,
when you go back online, it forgets which mod was checked and wich was not and in what order ...
Try to rebuild the good-load order for 40+ ... no thanks ...
next time i'll play i'll do it with the non steam version, too much fustration is just too much ...
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr