The haunted remains of Shooterville.

Started by UrbanBourbon, June 14, 2014, 07:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UrbanBourbon

These are the haunted remains of Shooterville, a colony of 8, whose all Shooting skill was 12+ (double-flame). The screenshot is actually something like 50 days past the final battle. I let the game run in a sudden realization (and probably in futile optimism) that I'd get a stranger to join my colony out of the blue, who would then rebuild everything to its former glory and beyond.

Shooterville withstood countless strenuous raids and infinite hairy situations, suffering only 2 casualties in its time. The straw, or rather the log, that broke the camel's muffalo's back, was the 6 Centipedes. I suppose I could've done things differently but one thing led to another and the colonists made their last stand at the end of the long corridor, a strategy that had worked quite well before. The Centipedes were weakened already by their hunger(?) and prior battles. What the hell was I thinking... They still had 800 HP.

You can only see 4 Centipede corpses in the image but two of them had burned. Speaking of which, a Centipede corpse burns forever. Days. Even their corpses have 800 HP. After they had annihilated the colonists with a wall of Minigun fire, they stuck around and naturally started destroying everything, setting things on fire. Eventually a team of 20+ raiders came, as usual, and madness ensued. Fire was everywhere, and much to my disappointment, rains put out fires on things that have roofs above them! Still, fires and the mad gunfire wiped out walls and doors... walls that support the place. Cave-ins! Nothing gets crushed. Centipedes and raiders wipe each other out, almost.

How much gunfire can there be before you have to regard 'air' as 'metal' because there's so much metal flying around?

A few raiders remain, but there's something odd about them... They wander in confused daze! One of them has his name tag turned purple. What in the... Oh, he's on a "psychotic rampage". In his madness, he kills his confused (former) friends with blasts of LMG fire. Rain. Fire. Destruction. Madness. Giant husks of cybernetic larvae. Dead hope. The thing about ghosts is that they can't be seen, but they are felt, and I felt the ghosts of every colonist and raider that had died there as I stared at the lone raging raider, gone berserk, killing his mates. Maybe he felt the ghosts, too. Isn't this what you wanted, raider? You and so many before you had tried to ransack this place before. And now that it is all yours, now that it all is in ruins, you are upset?

The raider finally wanders outside, only to get sniped by a random bypasser, just 3HP short of starvation death. One shot, one kill. Like putting down an animal. The stranger continues his journey casually. Another day on a distant noname planet where suffering and struggle are plenty but mean nothing.

AwesumnisRawr188

And the casual bypasser knew nothing of the tale within the confines of Shooterville.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: UrbanBourbon on June 14, 2014, 07:37:15 PM

These are the haunted remains of Shooterville, a colony of 8, whose all Shooting skill was 12+ (double-flame). The screenshot is actually something like 50 days past the final battle. I let the game run in a sudden realization (and probably in futile optimism) that I'd get a stranger to join my colony out of the blue, who would then rebuild everything to its former glory and beyond.

Shooterville withstood countless strenuous raids and infinite hairy situations, suffering only 2 casualties in its time. The straw, or rather the log, that broke the camel's back, was the 6 Centipedes. I suppose I could've done things differently but one thing led to another and the colonists made their last stand at the end of the long corridor, a strategy that had worked quite well before. The Centipedes were weakened already by their hunger(?) and prior battles. What the hell was I thinking... They still had 800 HP.

You can only see 4 Centipede corpses in the image but two of them had burned. Speaking of which, a Centipede corpse burns forever. Days. Even their corpses have 800 HP. After they had annihilated the colonists with a wall of Minigun fire, they stuck around and naturally started destroying everything, setting things on fire. Eventually a team of 20+ raiders came, as usual, and madness ensued. Fire was everywhere, and much to my disappointment, rains put out fires on things that have roofs above them! Still, fires and the mad gunfire wiped out walls and doors... walls that support the place. Cave-ins! Nothing gets crushed. Centipedes and raiders wipe each other out, almost.

How much gunfire can there be before you have to regard 'air' as 'metal' because there's so much metal flying around?

A few raiders remain, but there's something odd about them... They wander in confused daze! One of them has his name tag turned purple. What in the... Oh, he's on a "psychotic rampage". In his madness, he kills his confused (former) friends with blasts of LMG fire. Rain. Fire. Destruction. Madness. Giant husks of cybernetic larvae. Dead hope. The thing about ghosts is that they can't be seen, but they are felt, and I felt the ghosts of every colonist and raider that had died there as I stared at the lone raging raider, gone berserk, killing his mates. Maybe he felt the ghosts, too. Isn't this what you wanted, raider? You and so many before you had tried to ransack this place before. And now that it is all yours, now that it all is in ruins, you are upset?

The raider finally wanders outside, only to get sniped by a random bypasser, just 3HP short of starvation death. One shot, one kill. Like putting down an animal. The stranger continues his journey casually. Another day on a distant noname planet where suffering and struggle are plenty but mean nothing.
wish i could +1 this, such a good monologue :)
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

UrbanBourbon

The thing about the Ludeon Industries Mk5 R-4 Charge Rifle is that its projectile hit pattern is sparse. It is regarded as an inaccurate weapon. That may be true, but only a handful of people in all of humanity have discovered its real secret. The hit pattern isn't random. It is just highly complex. Since it's an energy projectile weapon, wind does not affect the projectile flight path. Only a select few humans ever get a chance to put their hands on this expensive weapon. Even fewer live to fire thousands of rounds with it. On top of that, you'd have to have an IQ of 140 to even have a hope of discovering the pattern. But once you've picked some individual repeating patterns, perhaps through a combination of intuition, experience and memory, you can start writing them down, and finally teach them to others. The student would have to have an elephant's memory, of course. And then... Then the weapon's and its operator's potential for destruction is multiplied. Because then you can compensate for the R-4's innate inaccuracies, simply with subtle movements. However, one false recall could prove fatal, depending on the situation.

"Never lose track of the Pattern." was the mantra in Shooterville, words engraved to the stone near the entrance. They may have been a reclusive small group, akin to an ancient monastery in which monks perfected their skills and knowledge to the extreme, usually in secret. These guys were no different, except there was no religious component. The only religion in this danger-infested unclaimed world was survival. And they failed in that, despite the knowledge, despite the skill. In the end, everyone's days are numbered, one way or the other.

Quote from: Untrustedlife on June 15, 2014, 02:43:39 AM
wish i could +1 this, such a good monologue :)
Thanks. That was one of my most uplifting stories.

johntiger

I suggest changing 'the last straw that broke camel's back' to 'the last log that broke muffalo's back' to make it more Rimworld-like.