A new crop: High sensitivity to fertility

Started by Syrchalis, April 02, 2018, 01:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syrchalis

Currently the crops fill very specific niches which is very nice, because it makes all of them useful:
Rice - fast growing, low yield
Corn - slow growing, high yield
Potatoes - good for bad soil
Strawberries - worst yield, but can be eaten raw (also spoil the fastest)

What would fill a small gap would be a plant that is more than 100% sensitive to the soil conditions, maybe even with a flat decrease. E.g. 200% fertility sensitivity and a 10% decrease. This would mean the plant would grow at 20% speed in gravel because 70% gets reduced to 60%, then because it's 200% sensitive it would double the 40% deficit to 80%. In regular soil it would grow at 80%. And in rich soil it would grow at 160%.

The plant could have unique benefits so it's worth bothering with, even if you don't have rich soil available. For example very long spoil time, can be eaten raw, could act as meat substitute (but with low nutrition value so you need more) etc..

I feel like the details aren't that important, more that this niche gets filled a little.

Otherwise one could just add a new drug plant with very high sensitivity or maybe even very high requirement (so it cannot be grown at all outside rich soil).

P.S.: I feel strawberries are a bit underpowered. Don't grow well in rich soil, spoil fastest, give least yield AND require growing 5 so you can't even grow them without someone who is at least somewhat capable.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

sick puppy

yeah, the niches are important. problem is, corn already fills that niche you are talking about. takes a long ass time to spoil and considering daylight and so on corn is also currently the best crop to grow in rich soil.

if you want anything new implemented as long as it fills a niche you can go for other options in my opinion, like something that you dont need to cook for it to be liked by most pawns like apple trees for example (or any other fruit tree, really). they take a long ass time to grow and at first only produce very little, but it slowly but surely increases its yield until it reaches full maturity. and yes, we could obviously speed up this growing process from the real world to rim world time. like we could harvest it once every other quadrum and they would reach full maturity after i don't know maybe 5 years.

another idea of mine is pumpkin. has very low fertility sensensitivity just like potatoes (and in real life) and produce a bit of pumpkin after a short time, but might need a lot of space, as pumpkin is known to grow all over the place (like my pumpkin in my garden that easily grows 10 m and grows 2 big halloween style pumpkins in a few months, without much watering or anything)

another idea of mine would be ANYTHING really, that grows best in normal soil, as of now corn yields the most over time in both rich and normal soil and you dont even have to do much with, as if you sowed rice in its place you'd have to sow, harvest and haul all the time and waste your precious pawn's time for it.

and i'd be very happy if we could add ANY veggie that could survive winters outside. as of now, nothing aside of trees does, so the only way of getting anything going in tundra would be apples.

another idea of mine would be something extremely fast growing, as sometimes you dont even have enough time for rice, to counteract this sheer speed it could be very inefficient. i don't know what is known for growing super fast aside from beans, but beans are supposed to take yet another role in rimworld - growable protein source, so you could make vegetarian fine meals.

yeah imma stop for now, if you want some more options, i'm always open for that