Colonist stuck in an endless loop

Started by timeywimey, April 04, 2018, 06:44:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timeywimey

Not a biggie, but apparently this colonist went all syntax error for some reason.
Video related. I obviously know how to fix this ingame but meh, might be annoying if one's running a big colony and doesn't notice that the guy is in a limbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1n5XxH1SVg&feature=youtu.be

mods: rimfire, epoe, prepare carefully and map reroll

Canute

timeywimey,
why you don't read at first the sticky "how to report a bug" and after you notice you are wrong here you read at the subforum "how to report a mod bug" and provide more useful info then a video.

timeywimey

Quote from: Canute on April 04, 2018, 06:47:52 AM
timeywimey,
why you don't read at first the sticky "how to report a bug" and after you notice you are wrong here you read at the subforum "how to report a mod bug" and provide more useful info then a video.

Yeah, got it and understood etc but can't do any of those because this isn't a bug per se, game logic has failed I think. Save won't help since I'm way past that situation, output log I can an will post but don't really see the point.

e: hah, I love the bot confirmation -shenanigans.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Calahan

Problem is you don't give any details on how to reproduce this AI derp, and as is specifically requested and even emphasised ("This part is important") in the pinned thread.

The video shows a Pawn hauling a "Jaw" back and forth between a stockpile and what I think is an empty tile, but I can't be sure. And when the stockpiles is clicked on in the video it doesn't show a complete list of the stockpiles allowances, so again more unknowns. Nor do you mention why the Pawn needs access to the tile. Does the Pawn needs to treat one of the Pawns in bed? Again more  blank filling required. Honestly, the number of unknowns here are far higher than the number of knowns, and there are generally very few clues to go on regarding how this loop came about, let alone how to reproduce it.

The devs are always appreciative of the bug reports people post, but they are neither mind readers nor miracle workers, and they always need something to go on to reproduce the bugs being reported. Bugs can't be fixed if they can't be reproduced, and I can't see how that video alone is enough for the devs to go on. They will need more information than just that video. Or else all they can really do here is keep an eye out for any other bugs regarding loops being reported (but they do that anyway).

timeywimey

Quote from: Calahan on April 04, 2018, 08:23:33 AM

I get what you're saying and I'm sorry for not delivering the info required in the first place. The stockpile is set to important and herbal medicine, all other relevant tiles are empty.

I don't seriously even know if this is a bug - as I said previously it's most likely wad. The colonist is doing exactly what he's supposed to do, too bad it doesn't make any sense but it's not his fault.

Calahan

Quote from: timeywimey on April 04, 2018, 08:41:38 AM
The colonist is doing exactly what he's supposed to do
But that's what the major unknown is here, as what is the Pawn supposed to be doing, or trying to do exactly?

The video shows the Pawn is hauling a Jaw (so not herbal medicine) to the stockpile. Okay, that's a job task and counts as something a Pawn should be doing, so that's fine and WAD. Although is it? As the video shows, and you say, the stockpile only allows Herbal Medicine. In which case the Pawn shouldn't be hauling the Jaw there. But the listing for body parts is lower down on the stockpile configuration menu than the video shows, so maybe it also allows body parts? If you are 100% sure it doesn't then that's a bug, but I've seen no bug reports regarding stockpiles reported in B18, so it's likely a mod related bug. But again, how definite are you that the stockpile is set to only allow Herbal Medicine? (and even if you are sure then this stockpile bug still needs to be reproduced in a vanilla save game for the devs to fix it, and as I said I've seen no stockpile related bugs reported in B18, which significantly increases the likelihood of it being mod related).

Next we see the Pawn is moving (so not hauling, but moving) the Jaw out of the stockpile. That's not a job task in itself, and indicates something else is going on. If the Jaw was a stone chunk then it would likely mean they are moving it because they need access to the tile. But a tile with a Jaw in it isn't deemed inaccessible, so they're not moving it for access. So why are they moving it?

My best guess is that you have operations pending (confirmed by the right-hand notifications), and that Pawn is your doctor and is moving the Jaw to the patient for the operation. Once in position he drops the Jaw, but in doing so that makes the game register that you have no Jaws (anywhere) for the operation, which is then cancelled, and so the Jaw is moved back to the stockpile, when the loop starts anew. So the operation being cancelled when the Jaw is dropped would be a bug, but the issue then is that you are using the EPOE mod which certainly makes changes to limbs and organs, and so could easily be responsible for this bug. Again it would need to be reproduced in vanilla for it to be the devs job to fix it.

But all of the above is largely, if not entirely, guesswork on my part. And my guess could be anywhere between 0% and 100% accurate. But it might help if you could remember any of the following:

- Can you remember if Tomer was allowed to do doctoring?
- Are any of those prisoners in bed waiting for a Jaw replacement/related operation? If so which one (top or bottom one)?
- Do you remember if the Jaw the Pawn is moving around was the only Jaw you had?

If you can't remember any of the required details then no worries. There are any number of bug reports that have been posted that are non actionable due to lack of info. Most are just one and done affairs where someone posts a bug (that can't be addressed due to lack of info) and are never seen again. So you do get credit for sticking around to try and provide more info so that the devs can then address this bug (assuming there is a vanilla bug here, and not one caused by a mod).