The Infestation

Started by Captain_Silver, April 05, 2018, 12:02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain_Silver

Allright, so this is more of a question then anything else. My colony that comprises of a large base with about 7 colonists (was 8, one guy had his heart blown out from a single lance rifle round). I've had a infestation spawn in a cave a good distance from my base.

From my understanding these swarms grow and expand. At the moment there are only 2 hives (one is dormant the other is growing) 3 megaspiders and a few scarabs. I managed to throw some wooden floods and walls down around the cave entrance. Would it be worth it to light a fire inside, block it off then stand outside and wait till they try to flee? Or would it be a better idea to GTFO pack up everything that can be carried and move my colony to a new location? I have a few pieces of armor on some characters and mediocre weapons (grenades, rifles, shotguns and machinepistols) Most of my pawns are decent at shooting. Or alternatively I could simply leave them the fuck alone on their side of the map. I'd just like some advice before I continue.

Dashthechinchilla

There are a few ways of dealing with it.

With an indirect approach, you could hope some raiders or a caravan stray too close. It would cost you relationship with the caravan. The other risk is they grow out of hand and nobody comes to help.

With a direct approach you could try a few things. The fire like you said, but you will need more fuel. Piles of wood or wood furniture, ect. You could also try ice. Block the area in and build coolers. Crank them way down. Keep a repair man or two handy, they will want out.

Alternatively, you can build a series of deadfalls in a tunnel outside. Poke them to make them attack and fight. Trained animals really help here, they can face tank for your colonists.

Captain_Silver

Raiders or traders stumbling upon it will never happen, its too far away from any border.  There is no way I can actually build anything in the cave anymore because if I do it pisses them teh fuck off and they wreck it. Same goes for the cooling method. I'll link a screenshot of what im dealing with.

Canute

You should deal with the infestion pretty early.
If you let them grow and expand you might have bad chances against them.
Not to speak that you need to be avoid these area.

You can either seal the cave with wall/door and start fire/campfire inside.
Insect's are very senstive to temperature, and you just need to get the cave over 50C and they will die.

Or you can use the door's as retreat and fight location it you prefer to fight.

XeoNovaDan

As Canute said: infestations are a problem that are best dealt with sooner rather than later.

Burning them is the easiest way to drive them out; simply seal them inside two-thick stone walls, then put some flammable stuff inside like power conduits or wooden stools. Have somebody torch those, then the room should heat up beyond 230C and everything inside will start to spontaneously combust, further driving that temperature up. The reason I say two-thick stone walls is because, if I remember correctly, insects will try to break out if they're on fire.

Alternatively, lure them out into the open with everybody using firearms, preferably with at least a minigun or two in the mix since they're excellent at crowd control if you manually aim them behind the swarm of insects. This is slightly riskier but still gets the job done.

Dashthechinchilla

You can build a funnel to fight them one at a time. Build a tunnel with a door at the end outside, since they aren't letting you build inside anymore. That way they won't leave the cave and go around.

When the fight starts, keep your pawns lined up behind the door frame such that the insect has to stand in the door itself to fight. You should be able to get 3 in two rows, so 6. If you have decent melee, put them up front in armor. The middle front pawn will take the brunt of the hits. Insects have the lowest defense against blunt damage, so clubs and mace over swords and bullets.

greggbert

Quote from: Dashthechinchilla on April 05, 2018, 12:19:30 AM

you could hope some raiders or a caravan stray too close. It would cost you relationship with the caravan.

Pretty sure that your reputation does not change when raiders or insects kill caravan members.  unless you or one of your turrets shots them.  In fact I am raided and have a caravan visiting I always let them take the brunt of the attack and get totally wiped out or flee before I get my turrets or pawns involved.   

Dashthechinchilla

Quote from: greggbert on April 23, 2018, 09:10:19 PM
Quote from: Dashthechinchilla on April 05, 2018, 12:19:30 AM

you could hope some raiders or a caravan stray too close. It would cost you relationship with the caravan.

Pretty sure that your reputation does not change when raiders or insects kill caravan members.  unless you or one of your turrets shots them.  In fact I am raided and have a caravan visiting I always let them take the brunt of the attack and get totally wiped out or flee before I get my turrets or pawns involved.   
You will if one of the caravan members is incapacitated and dies from their wounds. If they are straight up killed you are ok. IIRC, when they are incapacitated they become in your care even if you don't rescue them.

Toast

The nice thing about them spawning away from your base is that you can blow everything up with impunity. If you have the tech for it, you can wait for them to go to sleep and set up incendiary IEDs and turrets, then place pawns behind the turrets and blast them with everything you've got. With luck and good positioning the megaspiders will trip the mines and then run around uselessly on fire while you spray them with bullets. If some make it through the initial salvo, allow the turrets to tank and some of them will blow up, causing severe explosive injuries. An explosion from a mine, turret, or grenade will one-shot the tiny bugs and will rip legs and appendages off the larger ones, making them slower and enabling kiting to finish them off.

Bugs are bad news but 7 pawns that can shoot with backup tech can take this infestation IF you do it now. Good luck.

hunter2012

Bugs dont trigger deadfalls

Mkok

I always deal with bugs using temperature fighting. I ussualy try to freeze them using freezers built in my base, as at low enough temperatures the hives die and bugs become harmless. If you dont have freezers prebuilt, I just toss in few molotovs on something flamable, wall the area of and pray my colonists can repair the walls faster then the bugs chew at them  ;)

vampiresoap

If they are outside your base, can't you just snipe them with sniper rifles? Normally they never even respond to your attacks because you are so far away.

Bastobasto

Personally I just recolt the jelly and keep their population controlled so they dont get out of control.

Tober6fire

I never had an infestation in my games so How big can Infestations get if you don't do anything to control it
I love stories and I hope that everyone try's to contribute in telling their stories as it is interesting and intriguing to see people connect through the tales they create.

Canute

Pretty big.
I start an infestion with 4000 points/10 hive (biggest possible with dev tools), and after 14 days i got 21.

[attachment deleted due to age]