Reducing the pace of combat

Started by juanval, October 30, 2013, 05:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juanval

I see combat anarchic when there are lots of fighters in battle. It would be interesting to have the option of reduce the pace to 0,5 (not only pause option to give orders) to taste massive battles better and to perform the best tactics.
What do you think??

Semmy

in all honousty tynan has made the game to lock at regular speed for combat.

I myself always played combat at double the speed so going even slower would be  ???
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

juanval

Well, people like to play in different ways, but a 0,5 pace option would be nice for massive combats.

Another thing I see is that the duration of combats is short. You are preparing all time your colony building nice defences and cleaning debris and then combat arrives and finishes instantly. To avoid this and make combats longer I see interesting to reduce the damage of arms or increase the maximum health of the combatants. The 0,5 pace option would help too.

Tynan

That's an interesting idea. I'll have to think about it.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

daft73

Quote from: juanval on October 30, 2013, 08:23:17 AM
Well, people like to play in different ways, but a 0,5 pace option would be nice for massive combats.

Another thing I see is that the duration of combats is short. You are preparing all time your colony building nice defences and cleaning debris and then combat arrives and finishes instantly. To avoid this and make combats longer I see interesting to reduce the damage of arms or increase the maximum health of the combatants. The 0,5 pace option would help too.

Nice idea mate.  ;) Forgive my lack of ability to know (family, and my eldest just started High school)...
   Is there a speed changer in game? ex. Fast-forward, normal, slow, pause. In this case the player could decide how fast paced the game  would be. For us parents, sometimes that can make or break a game session.  :o

Semmy

Quote from: daft73 on October 30, 2013, 12:48:07 PM
Quote from: juanval on October 30, 2013, 08:23:17 AM

Nice idea mate.  ;) Forgive my lack of ability to know (family, and my eldest just started High school)...
   Is there a speed changer in game? ex. Fast-forward, normal, slow, pause. In this case the player could decide how fast paced the game  would be. For us parents, sometimes that can make or break a game session.  :o

instead of letting the fights last longer by slowing down the time.
Why not make the system so that your fight actually becomes longer.
Let the raiders siege you and lure you outside to defend you geothermal and solars.
let them burn your crops loot your stockpile so you have to go out and fight them

Now its just wait for them shoot them continue on.
Edmund Burke

Zorbane

Quote from: Semmy on October 30, 2013, 02:51:00 PM
Let the raiders siege you and lure you outside to defend you geothermal and solars.
let them burn your crops loot your stockpile so you have to go out and fight them

Isn't that what the auto gun turrets are for?

Tynan

Besieging raiders are planned (vaguely).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Semmy

Quote from: Zorbane on October 30, 2013, 02:53:41 PM

Isn't that what the auto gun turrets are for?

Those turrets aren't that awsome and quite weak. They pack a punch but can hardly take a punch.

Quote from: Tynan on October 30, 2013, 03:02:51 PM

Besieging raiders are planned (vaguely).

Maybe plan the less (vaguely) than   ( ´∀`)
Edmund Burke

GC13

Yeah, you might wanna hatch some of those chickens before you start counting 'em... Sieges can be very frustrating if they keep us from stuff we need outside, or ineffectual if we have a self-contained colony. And if you opt to make them frustrating, the raiders need to have vulnerable points in their camp where we can sally to rather than turning it simply into "alright, now you have the disadvantage of being the attacker", and...

Well, it's a design challenge, to be sure. :) I say to use the fact that you already have artillery shells in the game: take some inspiration from Victorian-era sieges, where the battle was all about the attacker getting their artillery pieces closer and closer to the city to do more damage with their shells. Of course, you'd also have to accommodate for the discomfort and disease of a siege camp and a besieged town... You know what? These sieges can be cool after all.

Mucephorous

I really like the idea of a half/quarter speed option, not so much for tactics (pause is far more useful in that regard) but for deeper drama and storytelling. If you're watching stuff play out slowly it can reveal little details and add to the richness of a scene, offering something more akin to written fiction than a regular video game or tv/cinema take on things.