After 2 years of playing Rimworld my most burning question...

Started by lorebot, April 07, 2018, 04:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lorebot

Is why taking harvested crops, wood, or mined stone chunks to an appropriate stockpile not a part of the job? When you order a pawn to go halfway across the map to harvest berries why does the pawn just leave them all lying on the ground and then walk home? Why can't they just pick up the harvested goods and continue along till they can't carry anymore and then come home to drop the stuff off, then go back out and continue harvesting? They're able to do this with jobs at the workbenches, why not with orders in the field? Why do I need to babysit my pawns through this process...it's infuriating.

I'm so tired of watching my pawns harvest crops and then leave the food sitting in the fields getting rained on till I force them to haul the good manually, one of my hauler pawns comes to get it all, or one of the herd of dogs I inevitably end up raising gets around to finish being trained as a hauler takes care of it. There should be an option somewhere to make pawns haul things when they're done harvesting just like there is with workbench jobs.

daman2501

almost sure because is not in the already set home area
YOU`RE DA-MAN!!!

lorebot

Quote from: daman2501 on April 07, 2018, 04:34:50 AM
almost sure because is not in the already set home area

Nope, cause my crops are always planted in the Home Area and they always just sit there till I use Haul Urgently to tell my pawns to stop what they're doing and go collect the food that's rotting in the fields.

jamaicancastle

They can't return the materials immediately because it would be horribly inefficient: harvest 8 rice, carry it to a stockpile, go back, harvest another 8 rice, etc., and once the pawn moves on to do something else there's nothing to flag it as specifically a harvesting product.

lorebot

Quote from: jamaicancastle on April 07, 2018, 07:55:47 AM
They can't return the materials immediately because it would be horribly inefficient: harvest 8 rice, carry it to a stockpile, go back, harvest another 8 rice, etc., and once the pawn moves on to do something else there's nothing to flag it as specifically a harvesting product.

I don't want them to go back after every single harvest action, pawns have a capacity for carrying goods, why can't they just pick up and carry the goods with them as they go until they can't carry any more and then go back? They can carry around meals and other items in their inventory without them being in their hands, why can't they do that with the stuff they harvest? Just keep harvesting till full then carry it to a stockpile, then go back to harvesting?

sick puppy

because what you're asking for is a backpack and those wont be a thing anytime soon, sorry mate

lorebot

Quote from: sick puppy on April 07, 2018, 06:44:01 PM
because what you're asking for is a backpack and those wont be a thing anytime soon, sorry mate

How is this a 'backpack' when I'm just asking for the pawns to be able to hold what they can already carry while they're doing jobs? Have them drop the items on the ground while they're doing the work, I don't care. Just let carrying a full stack of stuff back to the stockpile when they're done be a part of the job.

Harvest item
if pawn capacity reached
    then return to stockpile
if pawn capacity not reached
    then continue working

sick puppy

it's been talked about before many times, just search for it yourself. pretty sure that you'll find plenty of results with backpack and so on and you'll also find the reasons why it wont be added.

svc_bot

There are mods that fix some of the problems mentioned above. Take a look at

Pick up and haul
and
Hand Me That Brick