[1.0]Black Widows(03/21/19) - Killer Amazon Driders from Out of Space and Time~9

Started by zamnath, April 08, 2018, 09:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zamnath

Quote from: Canute on August 20, 2018, 09:00:33 AM
-50% dodge would be ok, because of the big size.
But then i would have a +50% parry because they have more limb they can use for mellee and be able to parry much better.

Ha! Well, given the fact that they're recruitable, I worry about making them too powerful. A 20 melee unit with solid speed, great manipulation, and a stronger than average shield belt effect could be quite deadly in the hands of a player. That said, the bionics that matrons sport are still under revision (I'll likely be revisiting them to try to balance them), which could make them more dangerous when encountered in the wild, depending on how things go.

Canute

I think we all agree Black widow's are combat beats ! :-)
Hmmm with the Dual wield mod, they should be able to wield 4 pistols/knife too ! :-))

But about too powerful, you can't compare them anymore with vanilla stuff, special when you let Thrumbo's be target dummys ! :-)
Maybe try out Werwolfs,Vampire or combat class from Rim of Magic.

You allready gave them a weakness with the high mental break chance, maybe made them all natural brawlers. So they dislike range weapons.
Basicly with the web floors they don't realy need range weapons.

zamnath

Fiddling with making the basic bionics I implemented more interesting/powerful. Not quite ready to implement yet (and I'd prefer to implement them alongside more stuff), but, as can be seen above, they're quite powerful. The Widow Shredder Legs will inflict a bleed (damage over time) that, as it gets more severe, decreases the consciousness of the pawn bleeding. The Widow Bionic Pedipalps will occasionally do a knockdown attack instead of their regular attack. This makes these particular bionics more powerful than I'd like them to be given when they can be unlocked, so I'm going to try to implement a widow technology that will need to be researched to unlock them for regular pawns. As I implement new stuff, I might also tie them into some other systems I've been pondering over, to make them feel like a real achievement to be able to construct/implement.

zamnath

Some pictures from the latest update:

Widowgrave duster. Made from human bits and widowsilk. About equivalent to a duster in stats (slightly higher physical protection and heat resist/slightly lower cold resist and higher flammability). Allows non-widow pawns to walk around on widow floors without issue.

Widowsilk traps made out of the three different materials now available to widows. Widowsilk (that widows produce naturally) is to the left. Throne Silk (produced by Widow Tomb-Thrones) is in the middle. Abyss Silk (a composite of three widowsilk and one throne silk to two abyss silk) is to the right. Will probably change the color of Abyss Silk to be a bit brighter so that details stand out again. Left to right is order of power.

Widow gathering Throne Silk produced by Widow Tomb-Thrones. Not pictured are the friendly insectoids that the tomb-thrones produce. It's a decidedly end-game tech that enables making them, and they can be tricky to create even when the tech is unlocked, but they're potent both for boosting defenses via insectoid allies and generating a strong late game resource. Just don't ask the Widows in the tombs how their day is going.

Canute

QuoteAllows non-widow pawns to walk around on widow floors without issue.
What do you think about to made the hand&foot gear mod a requirement too.
Then add this ability to some shoes/boots.

zamnath

Quote from: Canute on March 11, 2019, 08:05:26 AM
QuoteAllows non-widow pawns to walk around on widow floors without issue.
What do you think about to made the hand&foot gear mod a requirement too.
Then add this ability to some shoes/boots.
I'm leery about adding new dependencies, and don't use that mod (though I do use Medieval Times, which includes socks). That said, I could see it in a patch. The design for the movement allowance stuff is supposed to make it a bit of a choice on whether to take the item for convenience/in-colony defense purposes or go for something like armor and deal with trudging through things at times, so I'd have to think of how to implement a similar sort of choice in shoes, which would require playing/understanding the mod. Could certainly see it, though. Spidey shoes make a lot of sense.

Canute

I am not a modder, so my knowledge is just basic.
You can use the Modcheck mod
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=36534.0
to check for the mod that is active, then add extra patch like adding new recipes.

zamnath

New animals added in the most recent update:

Both summoned via portals that are produced by the widow thrones. Caterpillar is the new source of throne silk and needs to be protected to allow continued access to throne silk. Moth will very (very) occasionally emerge instead of the caterpillars. Powerful (tankier, slower, slightly less powerful Thrumbo that occasionally uses a particularly powerful psionic blast attack.) Solid animal to have accompanying your Widows to the front line. Will likely revisit the side texture for the moth, at some point. Wings just don't quite look right to me, still. In general, I'm happy how they turned out, though, and I hope you all enjoy them!

Erthie

zamnath

Quote from: Erthie on March 17, 2019, 07:47:19 AM
Is the download from Google drive updated?
Yup!

Edit: That said, just pushed out an update (and updated google drive link) that enables regular prosthetic arms to be installable on Widows.

EkuDza

Sorry for bad english:

I make accaunt only for next words:
rotation for sculpures...please... so much pain for my inner fēngshuǐ

And he has something for early prosthesis (from wood exmpl), because too annoying when he's loss a legs after any battle (10 hp on legs and no legs armor... ppppaaainnnnn~)?

zamnath

Quote from: EkuDza on March 18, 2019, 11:21:38 AM
Sorry for bad english:

I make accaunt only for next words:
rotation for sculpures...please... so much pain for my inner fēngshuǐ

And he has something for early prosthesis (from wood exmpl), because too annoying when he's loss a legs after any battle (10 hp on legs and no legs armor... ppppaaainnnnn~)?

Hmm. Hadn't thought about making the statues rotatable. Like the idea, though. I'll put it on the list of things to do. I'll consider adding a wooden leg equivalent, too. Seems like a reasonable enough request.

Edit: Got wooden leg working with Widows and it will be released when I release the next update (probably 2 or 3 days). Rotateable art is likely to take more time, however.

EkuDza

Quote from: zamnath on March 18, 2019, 12:58:59 PM

Hmm. Hadn't thought about making the statues rotatable. Like the idea, though. I'll put it on the list of things to do. I'll consider adding a wooden leg equivalent, too. Seems like a reasonable enough request.

Edit: Got wooden leg working with Widows and it will be released when I release the next update (probably 2 or 3 days). Rotateable art is likely to take more time, however.
You can made rottable statues witchout extra arts, just use current art for a begining. Or remove a DAMN CIRCLE(see atachment)

And i have some bug witch another mod (Call-of-Cthulhu---Elder-Things-1.21.0.0 i think), Widow take a elder abilities. (2 attachment)
And shield counter stay at 0 (but sometimes it fiil, maybe after destroying a shield);
My modlist

<li>Core</li>
    <li>HugsLib</li>
    <li>JecsTools-1.1.0.15</li>
    <li>ModManager</li>
    <li>RimWorld-FrameRateControl-master</li>
    <li>No more sleeping Zs</li>
    <li>CameraPlus</li>
    <li>AlienRaces-1.0_v1</li>
    <li>MoreTraitSlots</li>
    <li>Dubs-Bad-Hygiene-2.4.691</li>
    <li>Skylights-1.4.651</li>
    <li>VGP_Tools</li>
    <li>RimFridge</li>
    <li>WhatTheHack-1.1.8</li>
    <li>RimQuest-1.0.5.0</li>
    <li>Realistic Rooms</li>
    <li>DoorsExpanded-1.20.0.2</li>
    <li>Rimatomics-1.6.741</li>
    <li>Rimefeller-1.2.341</li>
    <li>HP-Lovecraft-Storyteller-1.20.0.0</li>
    <li>Call-of-Cthulhu---Cults-1.20.0.4</li>
    <li>Call-of-Cthulhu---Factions-1.20.0.2</li>
    <li>Call-of-Cthulhu---Cosmic-Horrors-1.20.0.3</li>
    <li>Rim-of-Madness---Arachnophobia-1.20.0.3</li>
    <li>RimWriter-1.20.0.2</li>
    <li>Call-of-Cthulhu---Straitjackets-1.20.0.0</li>
    <li>Call-of-Cthulhu---Industrial-Age-1.20.0.0</li>
    <li>Miscellaneous_Core</li>
    <li>Miscellaneous_Robots</li>
    <li>Robots_PlusPlus_Misc_Robots_Xtension</li>
    <li>Miscellaneous_WeaponRepair</li>
    <li>Miscellaneous_TurretBase</li>
    <li>Miscellaneous_TrainingFacility</li>
    <li>Miscellaneous_Incidents</li>
    <li>Miscellaneous_MAI</li>
    <li>USCM - Xenomorphs 1.0</li>
    <li>MechanoidsExtraordinaire_v.1.3_RW1.0</li>
    <li>Megafauna_v1.4_RW1.0</li>
    <li>AlphaAnimals-1.096</li>
    <li>Call-of-Cthulhu---Elder-Things-1.21.0.0</li>
    <li>Rim-of-Madness---Vampires-1.20.0.1</li>
    <li>Rim-of-Madness---Werewolves-1.20.0.0</li>
    <li>Black Widows Release 2.00</li>
    <li>GeneticRim-4.203</li>
    <li>GeneticRimCosmicHorrorsPatch-4.1</li>
    <li>GeneticRimAlphaAnimalsPatch-1.0</li>
    <li>GeneticRimMegafaunaPatch-1.1</li>
    <li>SimpleSidearms</li>
    <li>Hospitality-1.0.13</li>
    <li>sns</li>
    <li>ExpandedProsthetics&amp;OrganEngineering</li>
    <li>A_Dog_Said_1.0</li>
    <li>Psychology</li>
    <li>Sparkling Worlds Events</li>
    <li>SmartMedicine - Release</li>
    <li>EdBPrepareCarefully</li>
    <li>MadSkills-1.0-2.2.1</li>

[attachment deleted due to age]

zamnath

I'm pretty sure the Elder Things issue is caused by Elder Things, itself. Looking over the mod's discord, it has been reported in different contexts before.

I've gone in and removed the interact space from Widows statues. I've also set up basic rotation for art. No new sprites, but you can at least angle the statues as you wish, for now. I'll go back at some point and add custom sprites for the different angles, hopefully.

Widow shields are available early and relatively cheap, but refill slowly. Higher level items that give shields (the crown, for instance) allow for faster refill. Reaver armor's a bit unusual in that it gives reasonably high shield amount but low recharge, which is probably what you're observing. As I develop more clothing options for Widows, one of the things I'm considering adding is an item that gives only a small amount of shield quantity but gives a large amount of recharge. That's for the future, however.

Sneak preview of what I'm working for the next update that will include the requested quality of life changes. The Corpse Flower will be made from human flesh and widowsilk and light underground passageways brightly enough to grow small gardens around. They will also periodically shed their flowers, which will be harvestable for use in cooking or fermenting to create a light narcotic wine.

zamnath

Basically done with the update now, want to do a bit more testing tomorrow to make sure nothing explodes given how many systems I touched this time around. Some pictures of the new content:

An underground widow garden. The floor and plant are both unlocked by a new tech, Widow Gardening. The floor allows you to use human meat to fertilize cave floors, allowing growing as if they were regular soil. The plant is known as the Gravespark Bush. It lives in a symbiotic relationship with a species of fireflies which glow so brightly that it is able to achieve photosynthesis underground. Without the gravespark fireflies, however, it quickly wilts. Mechanically, it's a berry bush that grows in caves like mushrooms do.

Widows arranging various items, many of which are from the new update. The lamp's already been introduced. The boxes with pink fruit are the fruit produced by the Gravespark Bush. The item scattered on the floor that looks like skull candy is the shed skullflowers produced by the skullflower lamp. The bucket with pink ooze in it is the mash that can be produced from skullflowers. The gold capped barrels in the top left of the image are the fermenting barrels that the mash is fed into. The purple/pink bottle is wine of memories, the product of fermentating skullflower mash in those barrels.

Skullflowers survive underground by devouring the psionic echos of deceased sentients, and wine made from fermented skullflowers imbue their embibers with temporary access to those memories (in addition to a light narcotic euphoria). Mechanically, skullflowers are equivalent to berries and can be used as a cooking ingredient. The wine that can be made from them is fairly similar to alcohol. It raises rather than lowers consciousness, has a slightly reduced positive impact on mood, and has slightly reduced negative impacts on health when used/abused. On the other hand, withdrawal from wine of memories vastly increases social fight chance and simultaneously boosts melee ability (via increased manipulation). A dangerous combination for Widows, amplifying their strengths and weaknesses at the same time.

The lamps will be researchable after widow gardening. To ferment the flowers that they produce, you will also have to have brewing researched.

In addition to the above, peg legs will now be installable on Widows, widow legs will be slightly less fragile, there will be basic rotation functionality for widowsilk statues, and there will be a few additional QoL changes and bug fixes.