What's something so minor and specific to you that it'd probably never get added

Started by Call me Arty, April 10, 2018, 04:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

For example: Adding something along the lines of vehicles would require a lot of coding, and has already been requested for years. I'm talking "suggestions" so minor, they could be added to the game tomorrow and people would either not notice it, or not understand why it's in the game.

Personally, for me, I kinda want nuts in the game. Y'know, almonds, pistachios, pecans, ones of the pine and/or pea variety. The way I imagine them, they'd be tasty raw but not overly nutritious (like berries, which already exist), there'd be a variety of them that only differ in growth rates and appearance, really (the existing three starches: Potatoes, corn, and rice) and last a while (like the existing pemmican). Essentially, every role they could fulfill is already taken.
If you wanted to make them more interesting, the food system would need an overhaul. By this, I mean that if you wanted a PB&J, you'd probably need to make nut butter. No other food can be processed, so to be fair, we'd need to add similar things for every other crop, like mashed potatoes, berry jam, fried rice, etc. . . it just wouldn't be worth it as-is. The only reason I want them in the first place is because I dislike farming or fishing games, but can't resist when a game has either as a side feature (for reference, my buddy made more progress in Terraria in two weeks than I did after owning it for years because I just got so caught-up in fishing), and more variety always nice plus I have an older pawn nicknamed Pistachio and I find the idea of Pistachio eating pistachios hilarious.

What about you guys? Ever feel a gaping, teddy-bear shaped hole in your Rim-heart? Do we need a baseball cap next to the existing couple styles we have? Another specific dog breed? Tell me about it.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Bozobub

Thanks, belgord!

Jibbles

Landmarks.

Another one that springs to mind is being able to build large statues that look like your pawns.

EDIT: Landmarks could be just about anything that is already in the map.  Such as: Giant craters. Large structures or items left behind (There's already stuff like ancient lamp post, Rooms that don't contain anything?). Old machines that have no use but can scrap for valuable resources. List goes on but would like to see more things like that.

Shurp

Horses.  How can you call it a space western without horses?

And for those wondering why we don't have cars/planes/jetpacks, that's easy.  The Rimworld atmosphere is thick.  *really* thick.  Like 20 atmospheres thick.  So anything moving more than 10mph gets slowed to molasses by air resistance.  (that's why bullets don't go far either)

That's why you can launch colonists halfway around the world without fearing they'll get killed... you don't even need a parachute!  Just need to pop them vertically through the dense air into thinner air above!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Jibbles on April 10, 2018, 05:23:16 PM
Landmarks.

Another one that springs to mind is being able to build large statues that look like your pawns.

EDIT: Landmarks could be just about anything that is already in the map.  Such as: Giant craters. Large structures or items left behind (There's already stuff like ancient lamp post, Rooms that don't contain anything?). Old machines that have no use but can scrap for valuable resources. List goes on but would like to see more things like that.

I personally like the idea of something along the lines of the Fallout series' random encounters. I know it'd require a lot more work and effort over putting a quirky joke in a backstory, but I'd love to just happen upon some kind of iguana cult in the middle of a jungle, or more detailed ruins. It adds flavor, and the incentive of interesting stuff in exchange for heading out into the wilderness.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

Call me Arty

Syrchalis

A bi trait to go along with the gay trait. Or pawns without a trait having some more bi tendencies. If I don't add it manually I basically never get a gay couple in my colonies, even with 14+ colonists. I like diversity, I don't care about social justice or anything like that. It's good that it can happen in the first place, but chances seem so minuscule.

What I also always wanted was coffee, but we got psychoid pekoe now and that is pretty much the same. It can also be consumed quite carelessly without causing addiction, so every colony of mine uses it, and that's the only drug I ever use.

Maybe a way to create chocolate yourself. More luxury stuff that you absolutely cannot get at the start of a game because other things are more important (but in theory you could get it).
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

Jibbles

Quote from: Call me Arty on April 10, 2018, 08:12:34 PM
I personally like the idea of something along the lines of the Fallout series' random encounters. I know it'd require a lot more work and effort over putting a quirky joke in a backstory, but I'd love to just happen upon some kind of iguana cult in the middle of a jungle, or more detailed ruins. It adds flavor, and the incentive of interesting stuff in exchange for heading out into the wilderness.

Hehe iguana cult.  Yeah, those random encounters would be interesting. Who knows what will be added at this point.  Never thought things like Healer mech serum, orbital bombardment, and antigrain warheads would creep into vanilla.

Shurp

Speaking of gay/bi/etc., what happens if you pick two random colonists and force them to share the same bed?  Do they ever get it on?  Or do they have to have a relationship first?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

ioci

Ser Kitteh

Putting deconstruction as the second highest construction priority, just below roof removal.

You know how it is. You've got a bunch of furniture, workbenches, and walls around the base. Your pawns are happily running around doing work. Then you run out of steel and decide to go "we should totally deconstruct that square steel building over there!"

They do all the things BEFORE deciding to deconstruct. You have to manually tell your pawns to deconstruct the floors and whatnot because you need more steel, and rather than deciding this important job needs to be done first, they decide to do it later and you're going around forbidding all the walls you built just so you don't have to right-click every single tile to get that steel you want.

Please Tynan, for the love of Randy, just put deconstruct higher on the list!

"But Ser Kitteh, m-mods!"

Shhh. I know. But we shouldn't rely on mods for everything.

Aerial

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on April 12, 2018, 05:57:26 AM
Putting deconstruction as the second highest construction priority, just below roof removal.

You know how it is. You've got a bunch of furniture, workbenches, and walls around the base. Your pawns are happily running around doing work. Then you run out of steel and decide to go "we should totally deconstruct that square steel building over there!"

They do all the things BEFORE deciding to deconstruct. You have to manually tell your pawns to deconstruct the floors and whatnot because you need more steel, and rather than deciding this important job needs to be done first, they decide to do it later and you're going around forbidding all the walls you built just so you don't have to right-click every single tile to get that steel you want.

Please Tynan, for the love of Randy, just put deconstruct higher on the list!

"But Ser Kitteh, m-mods!"

Shhh. I know. But we shouldn't rely on mods for everything.

And repairing needs to go after deconstructing.   It makes no sense for them to rush around repairing a dozen 98% stone wall blocks when there's a gaping hole in the wall that needs to be rebuilt.

Jackalvin

-Superstitious Tribes ("Oh geez! A triangular stockpile zone filled with alpaca corpses! Let's skadoods!")
-Human "hurt" sounds. (Toggle able setting, hopefully. Or at least for wimps. If I were shot with a charge lance in the liver I'd vocalize... a little... okay a lot)
-A skill tree for animals (+Bloodpump -cooldown ect) 
-Insert Witty Joke Here-

mmance

I would really like to rename shelves in the same was as stockpiles.  that way I know at a glance what they are suppose to contain.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Jackalvin on April 12, 2018, 10:57:13 AM
-Superstitious Tribes ("Oh geez! A triangular stockpile zone filled with alpaca corpses! Let's skadoods!")
-Human "hurt" sounds. (Toggle able setting, hopefully. Or at least for wimps. If I were shot with a charge lance in the liver I'd vocalize... a little... okay a lot)
-A skill tree for animals (+Bloodpump -cooldown ect)

Huh, I really like that. Reminds me of the tribes in the Honest Hearts mod for New Vegas. It'd be dumb and there'd be a lot of little specific things in there, but it'd be neat. I think I remember someone somewhere RPing that their tribals thought Mechanoids were angry gods, and a downed Scyther was a sleeping god.