Why is my caravan travel so slowly?

Started by ioci, April 11, 2018, 07:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ioci

Hi, guys. I send a caravan to neighbor village for trade, they should arrive there the second day afternoon as we are really close, but later I realize they haven't even finished half of the trip. What cause this issue? I checked the health of every caravan member including the mufflo, none of them have leg problem, and the weight they are carrying is not overloaded nether. Now they run out of food and they can't enter the current area to hunt.
So, why is this caravan so slow? Is this a bug or there are some factors which determine the travelling speed that I didn't check? There are actually a river between two settlement in world map, is this river caused the low speed?
Thank you for reading this, please tell me if you have any idea.

Araxiel

Maybe because they camped for the night?

Texaskimo

Are any of your animals pregnant? That can slow them considerably, especially if it is late stage pregnancy.

Dashthechinchilla

In my experience, caravan packing can effect travel on the first day. As far as I can tell, if the caravan leaves when the rest bar is low, they still only recover at night. So they might be exhausted until the first night. They sleep from 22h until 6h.

Hopefully you can buy food at the city, it can take a day or two to starve. Though starving will probably effect speed.

ChillinVillian13

What season is it?? If there it is a colder biome (temperate forest and colder), then traveling from late fall to early spring will take longer

ioci

Quote from: Araxiel on April 11, 2018, 11:20:20 AM
Maybe because they camped for the night?
No, during the day they still barely move a tile.

Quote from: Texaskimo on April 11, 2018, 12:39:38 PM
Are any of your animals pregnant? That can slow them considerably, especially if it is late stage pregnancy.
No, it was a male muffalo age 11.

Quote from: Dashthechinchilla on April 11, 2018, 03:20:46 PM
In my experience, caravan packing can effect travel on the first day. As far as I can tell, if the caravan leaves when the rest bar is low, they still only recover at night. So they might be exhausted until the first night. They sleep from 22h until 6h.

Hopefully you can buy food at the city, it can take a day or two to starve. Though starving will probably effect speed.
I'm not sure if they were well rested or not, never thought about that. But anyway they should have been able to recover their strength the following day. And unfortunately they won't endure this, they are in the middle of two settlement, may take another 3 or 4 day to reach either side. I tried to send a new guy carrying food from the base to their location, not sure if they can be merged into one or not. But this rescue guy as well travel slowly like the troubled caravan. Also just right not, the base pop up with a raid event. the pawn left in the base won't be able to defeat this raid. Guess i will eventually use the abandon button, hopefully it will solve every problem.

Quote from: ChillinVillian13 on April 11, 2018, 05:54:04 PM
What season is it?? If there it is a colder biome (temperate forest and colder), then traveling from late fall to early spring will take longer
Yes, it was winter! Never thought the season has such impact to the game! Great to know! Thank you ChillinVillian13!

Dashthechinchilla

You also need to worry about grazing during the winter. In most biomes animals can't graze in the winter and those will be forced to eat your colonists caravan food instead.

Canute

And on a caravan you food can spoil even when the temp. is freezing.

ioci

Quote from: Dashthechinchilla on April 12, 2018, 08:41:58 AM
You also need to worry about grazing during the winter. In most biomes animals can't graze in the winter and those will be forced to eat your colonists caravan food instead.
Good to know! Well, in fact, I always bring hop or kibble for my caravan that have animal. I felt strange before as I found out these foods are usually untouched when they return. This game do gives me surprise :D.

Quote from: Canute on April 12, 2018, 09:28:21 AM
And on a caravan you food can spoil even when the temp. is freezing.
Good to know! Guess I will have to horde some survival meal pack for the long trips.