Besides a colony manager, what format would you like to see in the "Rimverse"?

Started by Call me Arty, April 11, 2018, 03:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

In the process of making Rimworld, much more has been made than just a game, a universe has been made. There is life and structure beyond some victims of a starship-related incident. Just take the backstories, for example. We've got cave dwellers on toxic worlds, clones designed for space-wars, politicians on worlds so technologically advanced that they might as well be magic, etc.

Personally, I think that the existence of cyborg-pirates, space mafia, giant insects, and mechanoids would make for an interesting sort of action game along the lines of something Resident Evil 4/ The Last of Us style, especially if it had the focus on limbs. Great players could get to the end just fine, but shots would matter, and a stray bullet may be what ends-up demanding a peg leg or bionic eye.

That being said, what other kind of game would you like to see in this universe? Maybe there's been something in the story board decent enough for print? If you really wanna stretch things, then The Walking Dead might've been spiced-up by now if someone rode in on a Megasloth to kill some cyber-zombies.

I understand there's likely no chance of anything else in the universe, be it a Rimworld joke book or Call of Duty: Rimworld at war. I just thought it would be a fun thought experiment, especially since some mods already turn bring the game the ways of Vampire simulators/RTS.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Bozobub

Actually, the Lore for RimWorld is often rather nebulous, frankly; intentionally so, in fact.  This lets you generate your own story.
Thanks, belgord!

Call me Arty

Quote from: Bozobub on April 11, 2018, 04:23:38 PM
Actually, the Lore for RimWorld is often rather nebulous, frankly; intentionally so, in fact.  This lets you generate your own story.

I think it's got enough interesting bits and pieces scattered to paint a pretty neat picture. The prevalence of bionics, the massive gap in prosperity due to the lack of faster-than-light travel, and the fact that there *are* greater forces in the universe than man. If something like Kingdom Come: Deliverance was the grounded reaction to properties like The Witcher and Skyrim, then Rimworld could work very well as a more grounded (and violent) Star Wars or Star Trek. I can see a lot of appeal in that.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

Jackalvin

Since my local comic store's closing (R.I.P), I thought about a pen and dice game for RW, like D&D. You can directly take the stats of your favorite character in the original game and play AS them. Now the only issue is that this is not a video game, and Tynan is no Game Workshop or Wizards Of The Coast, so this would just be a pretty cool fan project.
-Insert Witty Joke Here-

Jernfalk

It would be cool to be able to control a single pawn and travel the world in direct control of him. Kind of like "Adventure Mode" on "Dwarf Fortress"

Call me Arty

Quote from: Jackalvin on April 12, 2018, 11:42:38 AM
Since my local comic store's closing (R.I.P), I thought about a pen and dice game for RW, like D&D.

"Mountains and Mechanoids." I'd play that. Plus, the random traits and backstories already add ten times as much to go off than my friends do ("They're a Tiefling. . . and a Paladin. . . and they like swords.")

Additionally, I am sorry for your loss.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Jernfalk on April 12, 2018, 12:23:14 PM
It would be cool to be able to control a single pawn and travel the world in direct control of him. Kind of like "Adventure Mode" on "Dwarf Fortress"

Considering the skills, artificial limbs, weapons, and armors my pawns tend to go through as they stick around, I'd love to see what would happen to one of my characters by the end of it.

loc978

It would be an interesting setting for a survival/puzzle game aboard a malfunctioning ship centuries into space with centuries more to go. Fix your reactor/computer, get cryptosleep back online and go back under before emergency rations run out.

Call me Arty

Quote from: loc978 on April 24, 2018, 04:57:57 PM
It would be an interesting setting for a survival/puzzle game aboard a malfunctioning ship centuries into space with centuries more to go. Fix your reactor/computer, get cryptosleep back online and go back under before emergency rations run out.

Like waking-up to a sinking boat, and trying to fix it before going back to bed. I like it. Especially considering how you can spend tens of years in one of those cryptosleep chambers, the changes you could see each time you wake could be pretty interesting.

Listen1

Quote from: Jackalvin on April 12, 2018, 11:42:38 AM
Since my local comic store's closing (R.I.P), I thought about a pen and dice game for RW, like D&D.

I'd love this, and probably would suggest something like a deck of cards for the Master, for the events to be random for the players. The master would use this cards to tell a tale unique to that adventure.

Putting the extra narrative of a pen and paper game with the quasi-random crazyness of the Rimworld, it would make alot of entretaining stories.

Ser Kitteh

Would love to see a quest generator sort of the deal like DF's adventure mode as well! If Rimworld had right and proper dungeons it'd be pretty great.

Shurp

Where are all the mechanoid ship parts coming from?

Where are all the humanoid capsules coming from?

Obviously there was an epic space battle in orbit around this Rimworld many centuries ago, and the carnage left over from that battle is gradually de-orbiting and landing on the planet.

Epic Space Battle... on the Rim -- obviously the next game that has to be created.  Colonists trying to break the AI blockade of habitable worlds and establish a new home for humanity!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Jackalvin

A caravan shooter thingy
-You travel in a group doing... I guess that's your choice(?).
-Several characters to travel with, the more unique, the better. A muffalo shaman who can call a herd to help, or a peg-legged cannibal sharpshooter.
-No "Get hit and hide behind cover until the screen gets less bloody". Every bullet you take could kill without protection, but the same goes for enemies.
-And finally being able to visit towns, take jobs, and claim rewards
-DLCs in the form of content made from mods (with permission of course!). That won't happen though.
-Insert Witty Joke Here-

Call me Arty

Quote from: Jackalvin on April 26, 2018, 05:26:35 PM
A caravan shooter thingy

I'm a touch confused. It what you're talking about closer to the Oregan Trail, or Fallout: New Vegas? Personally, I like both.

Jackalvin

Yeah, I wasn't too specific was I?
I mean it's more like Fallout, but with the combat being realistic enough so if you take an arrow to the head you wont be getting up.

So yeah, more like Fallout
-Insert Witty Joke Here-