Pawns undrafting themselves - this needs to get fixed!

Started by code99xx, April 15, 2018, 02:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

code99xx

Hi,

In my current game i cant keep pawns drafted for more than a couple of in-game hours.

Literally in the middle of a fight, my pawns decide they dont want to fight for their life and instead go take a walk or carry some wood or tending to some animals or anything else other than staying drafted.
I always have to keep a close eye on them and draft them again  when they decide they had enough.

They are not hungry, sleepy or wounded. Whats going on? They shouldnt be doing that.
One dude undrafted himself in the middle of a fight and just as he left cover he got headshotted ... nice, awesome choice of actions buddy!

Help me figure out whats causing this.

I do have several mods enabled but none that should alter pawn behavior like this (i think).

<activeMods>
    <li>Core</li>
    <li>HugsLib</li>
    <li>JecsTools-1.0.9.7</li>
    <li>AnimalsLogic</li>
    <li>AllowTool</li>
    <li>MapReroll</li>
    <li>ModSwitch</li>
    <li>RuntimeGC</li>
    <li>Miscellaneous_Core</li>
    <li>SafelyHiddenAway - Release</li>
    <li>SimpleSidearms-1.2.5</li>
    <li>EdBPrepareCarefully</li>
    <li>A_Dog_Said-B18.2</li>
    <li>Hospitality</li>
    <li>PrepareLanding</li>
    <li>Psychology</li>
    <li>SparklingWorlds Core Mod</li>
    <li>SparklingWorlds Chemical extraction</li>
    <li>SparklingWorlds Events</li>
    <li>Vegetable Garden</li>
    <li>VGP CoffeeTeaDrugs</li>
    <li>VGP_Garden_Drinks</li>
    <li>VGP_Garden_Gourmet</li>
    <li>ExpandedProsthetics&amp;OrganEngineering</li>
    <li>GoWWeaponPack</li>
    <li>Rimatomics</li>
    <li>Rimfire 2.4</li>
    <li>RT's Weapon Pack B18</li>
    <li>VanillaFriendlyWeaponExpansion</li>
    <li>FewerInfernoCannons</li>
    <li>SkillOverhead</li>
    <li>ShootingSkillEnhanced</li>
    <li>Rimmu-Nation Weapons (B18)</li>
    <li>USCM - Core</li>
    <li>Rimmu-Nation Camping Stuff (B18)</li>
    <li>QualityCooldown</li>
    <li>Miscellaneous_MAI</li>
    <li>Miscellaneous_Incidents</li>
    <li>Miscellaneous_WeaponRepair</li>
    <li>Miscellaneous_TrainingFacility</li>
    <li>Miscellaneous_Robots</li>
    <li>Miscellaneous_Objects</li>
    <li>Miscellaneous_MapGenerator</li>
    <li>Miscellaneous_MapGenerator Urban</li>
    <li>AnimalHusbandry</li>
    <li>Apparello</li>
    <li>ArmorStuffExpanded</li>
    <li>Cooks Can Refuel</li>
    <li>DermalRegenerator</li>
    <li>Doors-Expanded</li>
    <li>ED-Embrasures</li>
    <li>FashionRIMsta -A18</li>
    <li>FinishTheDamnThing B18v1</li>
    <li>Harvest Everything!</li>
    <li>ImprovedWorkbenches</li>
    <li>Lets Trade</li>
    <li>ManhunterPacksRebalanced</li>
    <li>Megafauna_b18</li>
    <li>MiningCo. ForceField</li>
    <li>More Furniture</li>
    <li>Nandonalt - Set-up Camp</li>
    <li>ParasiteTendsMatter</li>
    <li>PickUpAndHaul-0.18.1.8</li>
    <li>PlantCuttingIsForGrowers</li>
    <li>PowerSwitch</li>
    <li>Prisoner Outfit</li>
    <li>RedistHeat</li>
    <li>RelevantMechanoidSurgery</li>
    <li>RimFridge</li>
    <li>Rimsenal_Hair</li>
    <li>RimWorld-Mending-master</li>
    <li>RimWorld-ShareTheLoad-master</li>
    <li>Hand Me That Brick</li>
    <li>Robots_PlusPlus_Misc_Robots_Xtension</li>
    <li>Room Food - Release</li>
    <li>RT_Fuse-B18-1.1.1</li>
    <li>RT_SolarFlareShield-B18-1.2.2</li>
    <li>RWTemperature</li>
    <li>SF [B18] Priority Treatment</li>
    <li>SF [B18] Rain Removes All Filth</li>
    <li>SmartMedicine - Release</li>
    <li>Smokeleaf_Industry-1.10b</li>
    <li>SnapOut-B18</li>
    <li>Spoons Hair Mod -A18</li>
    <li>TilledSoil</li>
    <li>VanillaFriendlyBatteryExpansion</li>
    <li>VeinMiner</li>
    <li>WhileYoureUp</li>
    <li>zombieland-master</li>
    <li>Minigun-Handling-0.17.0.2</li>
  </activeMods>

Canute

That's a feature, pawn's wich arn't fighting get undrafted after a while.
So long they are engaged in a fight this shouldn't happen.
Not sure about some brawler which just stand behind cover and act as decoy.

But some sniper who stay behind and never got anything to shoot at, will curse you and go back to work.

code99xx

Well, i can swear i saw my pawns undraft during a firefight. They werent sitting idle. Cant be 100% sure tho. Ill keep an eye out for the next time this happens.

Also, is there a way to disable that "feature" you mentioned?

Canute

I don't think so,
the dev's add this to prevent exhaused/starving pawns because you forget them to undraft somewhere.

Jibbles

I don't doubt that you had one undraft during a firefight. They do undraft during raids. Sometimes they instantly undraft themselves repeatedly if you had them drafted long enough. It would make more sense to get a notification similar to hunters Lacks ranged weapons.

This "feature" works inconsistently and is not consistent with the the rest of the games design. Ever had your pawns starve in a pod, or walled up themselves and die? hundred of others situations like this yet there are no "features" for those issues.

You'll see threads similar to this https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18835.0 where it's clear the majority of players don't like auto undraft. I obviously hate it since it's done more harm than good in my colonies.  I'm not aware of any mods That fixes/removes this bug.

code99xx

I can now say 100% that they undrafted during a firefight. They were literally firing their weapon and then all of the sudden they said "nah" and went for a walk.

I dont like this at all. I really hope they remove this or a mod comes out with a fix for this.

I agree with you, a simple notification or a message or something similar is more than enough. It should say "you've got drafted colonists", thats it.

ioci

Quote from: code99xx on April 16, 2018, 02:45:33 AM
I can now say 100% that they undrafted during a firefight. They were literally firing their weapon and then all of the sudden they said "nah" and went for a walk.

I dont like this at all. I really hope they remove this or a mod comes out with a fix for this.

I agree with you, a simple notification or a message or something similar is more than enough. It should say "you've got drafted colonists", thats it.

Haven't seen this before, did you draft them to extinguish a fire outside of the home area? Myself sometimes draft pawns to fight a fire away from home but it was an insignificant fire and can be extinguished in 2 minutes, so the context we have might be totally different though.

Canute

And normaly you need to move your pawn very often to follow the fire, which would reset the idle timer.
I can't imagine that they undraft, except you forget them.

code99xx

@ioci  By firefight i mean, a firefight, with guns :)

I am playing with the zombieland mod and I was defending against 50+ zombies and I literally sat there and watched what my pawns would do.

They were firing their guns constantly since there were lots of zombies and occasionally some of my colonists would undraft themselves even tho there were enemies in range.
Maybe there's a timer that says "if a pawn is drafted for more than X hours -> undraft them" because the fight lasted several hours.

None of my colonists got hungry or tired in that time.
No matter the reason, the game should not overwrite my decisions, period. In a fight for your life you wouldnt stop and go mine, eat or take a walk, would you?

Dont get me started on how tedious assaults on enemies are now! Its really difficult to prepare for an attack on some enemies. While im trying to position people before initating the attack, some dude decides to leave because he been drafted for too long. Thats stupid. I have to check every pawn several times and move them a bit to reset the timer so i can setup my attack plan.

That is tedious.

Quote from: Canute on April 16, 2018, 03:50:57 AM
And normaly you need to move your pawn very often to follow the fire, which would reset the idle timer.
I can't imagine that they undraft, except you forget them.

Not if you are defending and are behind cover.

Canute

QuoteNone of my colonists got hungry or tired in that time.
No matter the reason, the game should not overwrite my decisions, period. In a fight for your life you wouldnt stop and go mine, eat or take a walk, would you?
Like i wrote before, they add this because other people was crying about exhaused/starving pawn far away, because they forget them.

There are allways people which like don't like it, whatever you do.

But i agree to you, pawn's shouldn't undraft at a firefight, and i never encounter this myself.
So it is maybe a mod that do that and not the vanilla gameplay itself.
Could you maybe create a scenario to force this behavior, so you have a safegame to repeat it ?
After you know it will happen just try to disable some mod's like Psychology, and check if that happen again.

code99xx

Ill start doing some tests see what i come up with.

OFWG

That's either a new bug or something from a mod. The auto-undraft shouldn't happen if there are hostiles on the map, whether or not the pawn is fighting.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

Dashthechinchilla

For me the funny part is they won't stop prioritizing using the mortars if you didn't draft them first. They will just stay there.

code99xx

Quote from: OFWG on April 17, 2018, 03:57:54 PM
That's either a new bug or something from a mod. The auto-undraft shouldn't happen if there are hostiles on the map, whether or not the pawn is fighting.

You know, something you said made me think ... "if there are hostiles on the map"

Normally when you have hostiles on the map they would be marked red (their name would) and you can select those hostiles and check their stats and such and normal. However, I play with Zombieland mod and I dont believe this mod treats zombies as normal pawns. You cant select them, they have no name and when hovering with the mouse over them you get no info, as if they werent there.

I think thats why my pawns undraft themselves in the middle of a "battle" against zombies because techincally there are no enemies on the map. I havent paid much attention when i was fighting humans.

I'll try a game where i disable zombieland but keep all other mods enabled and get into a fight and see whats going on.

Jibbles

Pawns will auto undraft regardless if there are hostiles on the map with/without mods.  It's been that way. 
You shouldn't experience auto undraft frequently though while they're shooting at enemies.  Zombieland is one hell of a mod that made lots of changes.  Though if I recall correctly, pawns would flee/shoot on site as if it was your vanilla raider. So I'm not sure if that mod changes your pawns behavior all that much when it comes to auto undraft. Maybe the fact you're always dealing with a threat made the issue more apparent. Plus it's rimworld, lots of things going on and its easy to overlook or misinterpret situations.

This brings me back to what I mentioned earlier about how sometimes they instantly undraft themselves repeatedly. Draft, point to a location, then they auto undraft right after they reach that destination.  This will happen back to back. This happens in vanilla.  This feature acts/looks like a bug even without that quirk. BUT. The other reason why I didn't doubt that they auto undraft during a firefight is because maybe the raider got out of the weapon's range. IF they got out of range then your pawn would just sit there. If it's in one of those moments where they auto undraft in short amount of time then maybe it kicked in instantly, and looked as if they quit mid firefight.  Even when they aren't in this auto undraft frenzy state, I've noticed pawns aiming at a raider but they got out of range before they could make the shot, then auto undraft shortly after.