The game's AI = the ships AI.

Started by Sion, June 15, 2014, 05:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sion

Quote from: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rCdGYp3nbSUXFG4Ky96RZW1cJGt9g_6ANZZPOHyNsg/pub
Quote from RimWorld changelog:
    Reworked starting equipment so it now comes in your drop pods. Added alerts for making starting stockpiles, unforbidding starting resources, and taking starting weapons. Starting beds removed.
    Architect panel shows names of needed resources and offers an info window about the construction you�re considering.
    Created AI persona core item, needed to build ship computer core.
    Colonists can enter longsleep pods.
    Ship can be launched.
    Game counts more stats: colonists killed, colonists launched.
    Ship computer gives reports on the ships status and whether it can be launched.

I think it would be awesome if the ship computer's AI is the "personalization" of the game AI, so for example if you play on Randy Random then your ships AI is Randy Random, then when you select the ship to get a status report you can see a icon of Randy that tells you the status (voice acting could also be cool if done correctly :s )

Another alternative would be that you can select witch AI you want to use, all this is just cosmetic at the current moment.
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

johntiger

Don't think this is kinda feasible because they are storytellers, not your lieutenant or your adjunct. Ship AI will need different set of AI codes to handle the ship.

StorymasterQ

I think what Sion meant is just the face (and voice) of the Ship AI is the same as the current storyteller's.

I'm okay with that. I'm also okay if the ship status report changes slightly depending on said AI. For example, Cassie could use some sort of formal language while Phoebe could use more friendly tones. Randy could then be some sort of a jock AI :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Sion

So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

StorymasterQ

Cassie: "The Ship is in excellent status. Structural integrity at maximum. Batteries are charging, currently at 77%."
Phoebe: "Morning! The Ship is A-OK. The pillars are A-OK. Batteries are...almost there, 77%."
Randy: "Yo. Ship's fine. These structures look alright, too. The batteries need a bit more of charge, though."
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

killerx243

I think Randy should also give you something random when you ask him

Randy: "Yo. Ship's fine. These structures look alright, too. The batteries need a bit more of charge, though. I've also taken the liberty of calling around to other ships in the area to see if they have some spare Muffalo..."

Basically it will be a direct hint of what the story teller will have happen next, he might of just attracted a pirate, or traders etc. Another outcome could be that nothing happens and you are stuck wondering :P

StorymasterQ

Quote from: killerx243 on June 17, 2014, 07:08:48 AM
Basically it will be a direct hint of what the story teller will have happen next, he might of just attracted a pirate, or traders etc. Another outcome could be that nothing happens and you are stuck wondering :P

I'm down with that. Though I'd rather have only Randy saying those random things and/or having random outcomes. Cassie would probably use stricter/more formal language and Phoebe would probably be a little childish, but both of them ought to be at least logical on what they say about 'the future'. It's actually their decision, after all.

Randy would eff logic and say absolutely anything.

collider1

Plot twist; the game AI is the persona core because after taking off, the ship crashes and the colonists die. Other people find the persona core like a black box and it tells them the story of the colony, so it literally is the storyteller.

Somz

Quote from: StorymasterQ on June 16, 2014, 12:45:53 AM
I think what Sion meant is just the face (and voice) of the Ship AI is the same as the current storyteller's.

I'm okay with that. I'm also okay if the ship status report changes slightly depending on said AI. For example, Cassie could use some sort of formal language while Phoebe could use more friendly tones. Randy could then be some sort of a jock AI :D

Yep, I'm okay with that too! While as most I too opposed the "storyteller as god" / "you can talk with the storytellers" and similar ideas, this would be but an AI that happens to have the same "face" as the storytellers.

Besides, a Random Randy saying: "Yo, ship's fine, more or less, but don't start blaming me if you crash again!" would be a killer.
To beer or not to beer.
That is a laughable question.