How Steam handles game ownership is dumb.

Started by Call me Arty, April 16, 2018, 03:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

I don't own Rimworld, my friend does. We set up family accounts so that he can play my games and I can play his. Note, however, that you can only rate/comment on mods, leave a review, and make discussions if you own a game.

Again, my friend owns it. He spent about 25 hours in the game around A15-A16 era. I've played - from A15 to B18 - nearly 900 hours. However, he is more qualified to review the game and it's community content than I am.

Gj Steam.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Lonely Rogue

Maybe you should just actually pay for the game, so that Tynan can get his paycheck for this game he's made.
Rimworld: A game where you're kept as entertainment for thousand year old robots, and you just don't know it yet.
Any mod requests?

Call me Arty

Quote from: DDawgSierra on April 17, 2018, 08:52:30 AM
Maybe you should just actually pay for the game, so that Tynan can get his paycheck for this game he's made.

I don't mean to be that guy, right, but I don't think Tynan needs that specific paycheck.
He's sold 1 million copies of a $30 game. If everybody bought it from Steam, he'd still have made $21,000,000. Even with development costs, food, rent, student loans, etc, working with a team and paying them, he's infinitely better off than I currently am. Plus, I don't need a copy as long as I've got my friend's, who doesn't play the game. This way, there's no "wasted" copy. It's already been purchased, and I'm just making sure that copy is going to use.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

mabor0shi

Quote from: Call me Arty on April 17, 2018, 09:27:31 AM
Quote from: DDawgSierra on April 17, 2018, 08:52:30 AM

I don't mean to be that guy, right, but I don't think Tynan needs that specific paycheck.
He's sold 1 million copies of a $30 game. If everybody bought it from Steam, he'd still have made $21,000,000. Even with development costs, food, rent, student loans, etc, working with a team and paying them, he's infinitely better off than I currently am. Plus, I don't need a copy as long as I've got my friend's, who doesn't play the game. This way, there's no "wasted" copy. It's already been purchased, and I'm just making sure that copy is going to use.
Cool justification of pseudo-criminal behavior, bro :P
Steam handles everything dumb. I didn't put my mod on steam because you can't upload anything to Steam until you pay them $5 and then they complicated things to such a degree, I was like "I'M GIVING YOU MONEY AND FREE CONTENT, STEAM!! BALLS!"
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

Jibbles

Hmm.. what if Tynan wanted to make a game that's AAA quality? Maybe wanted to expand or make a new version of rimworld by hiring a bigger team, upgrade engine etc. Making games can get expensive and also takes risks. 

I don't think it's stupid of steam to limit the review to his account.  I'd imagine the limitations would help prevent people from exploiting ratings/reviews on steam.  I think your opinion of game ownership on steam is strange.  You simply don't own the game and wouldn't even be able to play it without the the family sharing feature.

Quote from: mabor0shi on April 18, 2018, 11:46:47 PM
I didn't put my mod on steam because you can't upload anything to Steam until you pay them $5 and then they complicated things to such a degree, I was like "I'M GIVING YOU MONEY AND FREE CONTENT, STEAM!! BALLS!"

Why would you have to pay $5? I've uploaded some mods there but never had to pay for it.

Call me Arty

Quote from: mabor0shi on April 18, 2018, 11:46:47 PM
Cool justification of pseudo-criminal behavior, bro :P

It's about as criminal as a buddy giving you a disc for a game they barely played instead of leaving it in a drawer somewhere. Thing is, even though I played it over thirty times longer than he did, I'm still not allowed to recommend it to other people to potentially help another sale or two. It's been paid for, I'm not stealing anything. I'm not even asking for another copy or free DLC packs that don't even exist, I just want the same community privileges as somebody who paid $30 and never touched it. That doesn't include anything that would benefit me in any way, it's purely so that I can rate the lesser-known mods that I enjoy in my day-to-day sessions, and leave a review that might encourage an extra sale or two.

What about that is criminal, even "psuedo-criminal"?

mabor0shi

Quote from: Jibbles on April 19, 2018, 01:17:45 AM
Why would you have to pay $5? I've uploaded some mods there but never had to pay for it.
You have to have spent at least $5 with Steam (on anything you want) before you can upload content. So I just put in $5 credit on my account. It's been there for over a year, because there is nothing I want from Steam.
Quote from: Call me Arty on April 19, 2018, 01:40:44 AM
What about that is criminal, even "psuedo-criminal"?
Are you unaware that file sharing is illegal? What you did is not quite illegal file sharing, so I won't have you arrested. Just watch yourself. (totally kidding man)
Can't you rate the game on his behalf? Like if I was using your Netflix account, I can rate movies as you.
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

Call me Arty

Quote from: mabor0shi on April 20, 2018, 09:42:25 PM
Can't you rate the game on his behalf? Like if I was using your Netflix account, I can rate movies as you.

All the "family sharing" feature really does is give me permissions to play my friend's games as long as someone isn't already using his account, or he isn't booting one up (you then get a notification stating that you have five minutes until the game is force-quit). No rating or reviewing the game, it's DLC, it's mods, or anything else. Can't even comment on the mod's pages either, I don't think.